cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

235/85/16 Tires - What are you running?

768Q
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought our 28' Coachman Santara 4 years ago it had 2 year old Les Schwab (Dean Tire & Rubber Co) Wildcat tires, I have always kept the sun side of the MH tires covered when parked and with about 8k on them and loosing one last weekend I want to replace all with new. If I planned on keeping it another 4-6 years I would probably put the Michelin XPS ribs on it (still might anyway). Looking on Schwab's site and Vulcan Tire's site that used to sale the Wildcat it looks as they are not available anymore so looking for a cheaper but better name tire. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Keith
10 REPLIES 10

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Both Michelin XPS and Bridgstone R250 are all steel cord and have less side wall flex than other brands with fabric cord side walls. I tried cooper's best and didn't like the side wall flex. Cooper took them back.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
768Q wrote:
Thanks for the advice thus far, I am not much for LS and there unbranded tires but these that the PO installed have done well in the 4 years I have owned it and I am always pulling 8k lbs. I was on the fence about selling it in the next month or so and upgrading to a newer unit but since I can't get an exact replacement I am thinking the Michelin XPS Ribs with the steel sidewall might be a good idea regardless and if I do sale soon maybe it will help with that as well.

Pulling that trailer I would upgrade to 19.5 tires and rims if your going to keep that RV far a while.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Best luck I've had were with Gooodyear Wranglers and Uniroyal. I tried Cooper truck tires and they were a disaster. My rig is on an 18000# chassis, and running at the max rated weight for the tires, so I won't skimp on the tires again. After four blow-outs, the cheap rubber went away. Hope this helps,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We run 6 Bridgestone Durvais R250's in this size on a 5th wheel toyhauler and Like. Less $ than XPS Ribs.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I have always run XPS Rib 16's on the old Bounder. Other than a rock between the duals, I have never had any problem with a Michelin tire....never.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

768Q
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice thus far, I am not much for LS and there unbranded tires but these that the PO installed have done well in the 4 years I have owned it and I am always pulling 8k lbs. I was on the fence about selling it in the next month or so and upgrading to a newer unit but since I can't get an exact replacement I am thinking the Michelin XPS Ribs with the steel sidewall might be a good idea regardless and if I do sale soon maybe it will help with that as well.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a bunch of brands in one place on Amazon to make it easy to compare prices. If you're a Prime member, shipping is free and Love's tire shops don't seem to have a problem with mounting something you buy online. At least the Love's in Troutdale, Oregon doesn't.

Tires...lots of tires...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
768Q wrote:
When I bought our 28' Coachman Santara 4 years ago it had 2 year old Les Schwab (Dean Tire & Rubber Co) Wildcat tires, I have always kept the sun side of the MH tires covered when parked and with about 8k on them and loosing one last weekend I want to replace all with new. If I planned on keeping it another 4-6 years I would probably put the Michelin XPS ribs on it (still might anyway). Looking on Schwab's site and Vulcan Tire's site that used to sale the Wildcat it looks as they are not available anymore so looking for a cheaper but better name tire. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Keith
If your intent on buying Michelin Tires I would buy the thru FMCA/Michelin Fleet Tire Program. If you buy Michelins thru Les Schwab you will be paying more per tire plus shipping. Buying thru the FMCA/Michelin Fleet Tire Program Michelin will get ahold of you and tell you where to go to buy your tires and you will not be charged for shipping.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I have 235-85-16 tires on both truck and fiver, I've had good luck with BFG Commercial TA's, the ones on trailer were new in 09 and have seen much of the Western US with no issues.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keith,

You really need to go to RV Tire Safety and soak up some of what Roger Marble knows about tires. That and if you are going to buy Michelin, it might be worth your while to join FMCA and get their discount.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.