cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

24 feet motorhome - 55 gl. fuel tank

Camper_2012
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know exactly how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel indicator light comes on? (24 feet motorhome - 55 gl. Fuel tank). Thank You.
23 REPLIES 23

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now that fuel is a dollar cheaper, instead of putting $20 in when the light comes on... fill it up and subtract from 54.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to answer that on your own.

Fill it completely when the low fuel light comes on. Look at how much you just put in and subtract from 55 gals.

Jose

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine comes on somewhere around 1/8 of a tank. YMMV
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The manual does not give the amount of fuel remaining in the tank when the light goes on, I have a 24 foot E-350 V-10 with the 55 gallon tank and refuel when the needle is between the bottom E and the first mark, it is not good to run the fuel pumps dry, they tend to brake sooner.

One tank should give you about 350 miles depending on the terrain and where the wind is blowing in font or behind, that is at 55 mph, go faster and your gas refueling stops will sooner.

navegator

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that the generator draft tube in most RV's only extends down 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the tank. So the generator will run out of gas before the RV reaches about 1/4 tank.

At what point does your low fuel light come on? Just below 1/4 tank, or closer to 1/8 tank full?

each 1/8 of your tank is about 7 gallons. My guess is that at 1/8 tank, there should be about 10 gallons left. Yet if you run out of fuel on the highway, then pull over to the side, the leaning motorhome will require much more than 10 gallons to get the fuel pump under the gas, so you can start the RV and drive on to the gas station.

Do you keep track of your average MPG? If you write down the mileage when the light comes on, and say you average about 8 MPG or 9 MPG, and get fuel say 18 miles later, you can guess that you used about 2 gallons to get to the station, and filled it with about 45 gallons, then estimate how much was left when the light came on.

My buddy installed a second fuel tank on his 1986 Ford motorhome. The stock "33" gallon tank - the most he ever put in it was 34 gallons on one trip, and it had read "E" for a while before reaching Barsto, where it took 34 gallons. After installing the second tank, he ran it dry (you can get away with that on a carburetor engine) and then was able to add 39 gallons to the main tank.

You are better off not waiting until the low fuel light comes on. The fuel pump will get warm, because it is not fully submerged in fuel, and will run warmer, and have a shorter life due to running warmer.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
Only one way to find out - drive until it comes on, then fill the tank and do the math.

Bring a full gas can with you just in case.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since that's part of the standard Ford chassis, you could probably find out by enquiring at a Ford dealer. It may also be in the Ford owner's manual.

(My car's owner's manual rather amused me with the statement that its low fuel light came on when there was "approximately 1.62 gallons" of fuel left...approximately, give or take a few teaspoons, I guess.)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my DP, the light comes on at a quarter tank (25 gal) and it's very accurate.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are far too many variables to give you an accurate answer. Make, model, age of the vehicle, age of the sending unit, condition of the sending unit, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)