cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2nd Gas Tank question

JMiller29
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new-to-me 1982 Holiday Rambler Imperial with two gas tanks. When I flip the switch from one to the other, the gas gauge doesn't change. Am I right in guessing that the 2nd tank does not have a gauge?
9 REPLIES 9

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each tank has a Pump/Gauge assembly. The Pump --OR-- Gauge can go defective, along with related wiring, connectors, switches. If this chassis is like our 1983 E350, it flows fuel from tank to select valve, select valve to engine, and engine back to select valve then back to tank. So the select valve is called "Six Port" meaning Supply and Return for each of two tanks to the valve, adding to four, and the two from valve to engine for a total of six. When the Select Valve "switches" it switches the lines, the gauge, and the power supply to the pump on the selected tank. I looked recently and new (aftermarket) ones priced around $100. Still, there's good chance the problem is Gauge Sender (in Tank) or Wiring.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
If it had been many years I would have a shop drain it and clean the tank. A very common service for boats.
For its use I would either leave it empty after that or use it when the main tank is low and go by the odometer to determine when it is below half a tank.

I would also keep sea foam in it since it will get less use.

Paul

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
I have an '89 E-150 that I bought new, it has duel tanks. Several years ago the gauge on the rear tank stopped working, I could still run on it. But I don't use the van much so I stopped using that tank.
So, you just fill up the rear tank. Drive until the engine sputters, then flip over to the tank with the working gauge. Should not be a problem. :B

Except for the last 25 years, or so, it states in the manual not to let them run ou of gas. I think it's because of the in tank fuel pump.

I just don't use the back tank. Now that it has been said on here that most likely the problem is the change over switch, maybe I should check that out. I wonder what that tank and gas in it, is like? I haven't used it in many years.

Dusty

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
I have an '89 E-150 that I bought new, it has duel tanks. Several years ago the gauge on the rear tank stopped working, I could still run on it. But I don't use the van much so I stopped using that tank.
So, you just fill up the rear tank. Drive until the engine sputters, then flip over to the tank with the working gauge. Should not be a problem. :B
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

JMiller29
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I will investigate further.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Run A vin decoder for your chassis so see what year it is the chassis year and RV year can be different. Then order a SHOP MANUAL It will have the wiring schematics so that you or someone can trace out your problem.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The gauge should change. Your switch may be bad. The sender in the 2nd tank may be bad.
It's possible that the fuel solenoid is actually switching but the gauge wiring isn't.
More troubleshooting is necessary.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have a bad selector switch. The switch should re-direct senders, as well as operating the fuel selector valve.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST