cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp service pedestal

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install a 30 amp pedestal to keep my rig plugged in at home. This made me curious about what the difference might be between 20 and 30 amps besides wire gage and the three pronged plug. It's just a normal 110 V hook up, right?
Without America. there is no free world!
24 REPLIES 24

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Kit Carson wrote:
Yessir, this happened to me. The electrician installed a breaker in the box, run the wire, wired up the plug in the box on the pedestal. Then, plugged the RV cord into the 30 amp plug and heard a terrible noise. He wired 220V to the plug. Fried a television and an inverter. Lucky that was all the damage. His response "man, I thought by the looks of the plug it was 220V".

I wouldn't consider that guy an electrician. :E
I thought by the looks of the plug it was 220V".
:S
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
vcbutton wrote:
I would like to install a 30 amp pedestal to keep my rig plugged in at home. This made me curious about what the difference might be between 20 and 30 amps besides wire gage and the three pronged plug. It's just a normal 110 V hook up, right?

You might want to determine whether you really need 30 amps. I have run my AC on a 20 amp outlet without problems when visiting family in warm climates. A 20 amp outlet can have a conventional 15 amp style socket.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed an outlet for our Motor Home parking, even though it is set up for a 50A service, I went with a 30A service and outlet, and use an adapter. This was because with the distance I had to run, and the cost of wire for 50A as opposed to the cost for 30A. As we do not need 50A when parked at home, the 30A service was less that half the cost of what a 50A would have been. Abou all we need is just to keep the batteries charged, and the TV sometimes. If necessary, I can run one of the ACs on 30A just fine. An, like it said, it cost half as much. And no worry about it being wired wrong.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
vcbutton wrote:

You have it covered. Larger wire, larger outlet, single 30a breaker, 120 volts.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
If you have an electrician install the 30 Amp outlet make sure he understands it is 120v. There have been many stories on the forum of electricians thinking the socket is a 240v socket and the resulting damage to the camper.
Yessir, this happened to me. The electrician installed a breaker in the box, run the wire, wired up the plug in the box on the pedestal. Then, plugged the RV cord into the 30 amp plug and heard a terrible noise. He wired 220V to the plug. Fried a television and an inverter. Lucky that was all the damage. His response "man, I thought by the looks of the plug it was 220V".
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Make it simple:

30 amp RV=

ONE hot
one neutral
one ground
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an electrician install the 30 Amp outlet make sure he understands it is 120v. There have been many stories on the forum of electricians thinking the socket is a 240v socket and the resulting damage to the camper.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There are several sites explaining How to Install a 30 AMP Outlet..

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
here is nifty wiring diagram showing the 50AMP and 30AMP RV wiring for a typical camp ground pedestal...

This is also a useful chart showing how to properly read the 50AMP and 30A/20A/15A RV receptacles using a multimeter

50AMP

30A/20A/15A

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ronfisherman
You are correct on it being 110 volts AC. I purchased RV outlet box off EBAY for my 50/30/20 amp hookup. It has a circuit breaker for each receptacle.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD