cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30A Male to two 15A Female Y Adapter - where is it...?

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of a complete re-design on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion/camper van. As part of my "onboard supplies" I need an adapter that allows me to plug in at a campsite's 30A service and turn it into two 15A outlets.

It's a yellow, marine grade, "Y" adapter. I had one in the past but don't remember if I lent it to someone and never got it back, or what the heck happened.

In any event, I found a 30A to THREE 15A - but it's a high-end Marinco item and costs $91.

I thought there was one about half that price, but I can't find it anywhere.

Yes, I do have the normal little black 30A adapter (30 to 15) but that creates a plug for only one extension cord and sometimes you need more juice.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might know what site or store to check.
28 REPLIES 28

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Rex Roamer wrote:
BillMFI - can you provide a link to the 4 gang box you're talking about...? I just wonder what kind of wiring this would entail.

The reason I like the Marinco (http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|299260|319692&id=1563668) is that it appears very safe to me. And I have two cords for inside and one for outside.

Like I say - it's a great cord, no doubt. Was just hoping for something a little less pricey.

I got the 4 gang box at either Home Depot or Lowes in the electrical department. In addition to the 4 outlets it has an on/off switch that cuts power to all 4 outlets. As I recall it cost less than $20. I especially like the GFI function.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
An Amazon search turns up many extension cords with built-in resettable circuit breakers.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Outdoor+Extension+Cord+...

That should eliminate the risk I mentioned. Your local hardware stores will probably have a selection of them in various lengths/prices. You might already have one or have couple of power strips or surge bars that also have a built-in resettable 15 amp circuit breaker.
1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Low demand for it also. Most RV's have a 30A or 50A connection point already.

The risk would be similar to using one of these:

There's just nothing to prevent the full 30 amps from passing though that or through either leg of the Conntek adapter then through an extension cord and to a malfunctioning appliance.

We are used to seeing multi outlet taps or power strips etc. but they are always going to limited by the 15 amp breaker in the circuit. They could have 10 outlets but you can't pull more than 15 amps through it.

What is different here is 15 amp rated parts, extension cords, appliances etc., being used on a circuit that has a 30 amp circuit breaker.
My Profile
My Website

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
I kind of think, NMace, that it might be more of a distribution thing. It seems this company (Conntek) is pretty locked into Amazon - maybe Camping World has a problem with that, takes too large a cut, etc...?

Pure speculation on my part, but I haven't found any other place to buy it than Amazon. I looked, out of curiosity.

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is the one I saw at Camping World, I wonder if there should be concern that they don't seem to now?
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy to have helped. 🙂
My Profile
My Website

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, marcopolo! I don't know how the heck you found that - I searched until my eyes blurred. All I found were those daggone generator/twist connect cords.

I cannot thank you enough, truly.

Hopefully I can someday return the favor and find something you're searching for.

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-3-Feet-Adapter-Connector-Indicator/dp/B007ZTAE5A

same thing:

http://cordtec.com/products.asp?id=744

It is rated 3,750 watts so two 15 amp outlets (not circuits).

I'm a little surprised it exists because, without any 15 amp circuit breaker protection, you could easily overload a 15 amp extension cord.

It is safe enough though if used correctly.
My Profile
My Website

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your response, marcopolo. As mentioned in my original post - I do have a 30/15 adaptor - but that only allows for one extension cord and takes my amperage down to 15.

My appliances total about 18A - so I need two 15A extension cords inside, and one outside for outdoor lights, radio, etc.

I have contacted an electrician about creating what I need - that way I know its: A) safe; B) definitely capable of handling 30 amps of power, i.e. a full 15A on each outcoming plug.

Will post the details, cost, etc. as soon as I get them from him.

With regards to an electric panel - yes, if the cost to create the cord I want is close enough, I'll cut an opening where the regular hatch is now and just have an electrician put in a 30A hook-up with two "indoor" 15A outlets.

Will keep you updated.

And thanks for trying, NMace - much appreciated! ;0)

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find it online either, but I am sure I had one in my hands off the shelves in the store. I didn't buy it, as the camphround had both a 30 amp and a 15 amp outlet, don't most. One AR State park had a 50, 30, and two 15s.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
No, I haven't seen anything that does it correctly. I figured there would be a few contractor type choices but could not find any.

The question to answer is what amperage (in total) do you want available inside the RV?

A simple 30A to 15A adapter coupled with a 3 outlet tap gives you multiple outlets for maybe $5 spent:

Again, you are limited to 15 amps in total (even though you see three 15 amp outlets) and you are missing important circuit breaker protection.

If you plan to run more than one item totaling more than 15 amps then some sort of electrical panel or sub panel is needed to give you more than one circuit.

If you plan to limit your power requirements to no more than 15 amps at one time then a basic 15 amp extension cord will give you up to 15 amps in the coach. Remember that you could easily overload the 15 amp cord if it is plugged into a 30 amp outlet and no circuit breaker will be there to trip to protect it.
My Profile
My Website

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
One last comment (for now)... it just dawned on me - DUH! - that there is an electronics shop literally at the end of my street, AND they are avid RVers. I have emailed the specs for what I'm looking for to them to ask if they can build such an animal for me. Will let you know what I find out.

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, marcopolo - have you seen any other versions of the cord I'm referring to online - meaning 30A divided into multiple 15A - suitable for RV hook-ups...?

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
I actually do have a message in to Marinco, markopolo, but they are closed today and tomorrow. I'll confirm the specs with them and post the answer.