Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30A vs 50A, effect on basement A/C?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gang,
Got a question for you amperage exerts. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, is equipped with basement A/C, just like many of you Winnne and Itasca owners of this era. So, far, knock on wood (my head), that basement A/C has performed flawlessly. But, we're presently on a trip and, camping in various places in various states as we visit different parts of the country.

Since we're the type of travelers that do not have a real itinarary and real destination points, we are at the mercy of "what's left" in many campgrounds in terms of availability of sites, hook-ups, amp posts, etc. So far, in 2,800 miles of travel in just a hair over 3 weeks, we've been lucky to get 50A service in all the places we've stopped and camped at.

But, there are times when a 30A spot may or may not be better than what we've been offered or, it may be the only spaces left since all the 50A spots are signed for. So, the question is, if a 30A service is all that's available, what kind of effect will that have on our basement A/C? I know 30A will be just fine for all of the rest of the coaches electrical operations as, there's not much left that demands high amperage like the A/C does.

I know and understand that that basement A/C has TWO compressors. I'm kind-a thinking that maybe only ONE compressor may be able to operate if a 30A service is encountered. Is that true? Any help here will be massively appreciated.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
10 REPLIES 10

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
My basement air takes about 24 amps with both compressors running. Never had a problem with 30 amps service.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Winnebago Adventurer. Ran both A/C compressors plus fridge and water heater on electric for close a month in Fl. this year, 30 amp site. EMS managed everything just fine. You can turn off the breaker for the 2nd compressor if you want or let the EMS kick it offline when needed.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
I most certainly appreciate all the expertise, experience and advice here on this issue. So far, we've acquired 50A service in all the campgrounds we've stopped at in this trip. We've not been forced to accept only a 30A site as of yet. We've owned this coach now for about 6 years and, as long as I can remember, I'm pretty sure we've not had to use a 30A but, you all know how well MEMORY lasts. We may have used a 30A on some past trips and I just forgot which, is most likely.
Anyway, I'm glad to know that if we're presented with only a 30A service and, the A/C is needed, that the electrical system will handle it. Very, very much appreciated.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
As mention, turn off # 2 compressor at breaker panel.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
gfs1943 wrote:
Hey, Scott. I only have a 30 amp connection at home. When the RV is here, the air conditioning runs pretty much all day. I also run the fridge on electric, and have never had a problem. I won't turn on the water heater or microwave, or any such high-amp loads. But the AC does fine. I've also used it at campgrounds when traveling, and have no problems as long as I don't run too much other stuff.

I use a 30amp connection at home as well, but since I utilized #8 wire and having it on hand at the time, I changed to a 40amp breaker and a 50amp outlet for convenience and durability.
Both overhead heat pumps run just fine.
Like you, we're not living out there, so not making hot water, coffee, or running the microwave all at the same time. Even if, the EMS would temporarily shed any excessive loads.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Scott. I only have a 30 amp connection at home. When the RV is here, the air conditioning runs pretty much all day. I also run the fridge on electric, and have never had a problem. I won't turn on the water heater or microwave, or any such high-amp loads. But the AC does fine. I've also used it at campgrounds when traveling, and have no problems as long as I don't run too much other stuff.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have basement air in our '04 Winnebago with only 30 amps and the 2nd compressor has never stopped. The ems does shed stuff sometimes.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Scott, No effect on the basement air as long as the EMS does its job and sheds the extra load when it should. I have a 30A service at home and as long as the fridge is on LP and my batteries are charged, the AC can easily run on a 30A circuit
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
3 Winnebagos and about 160,000 miles we tripped about 3 30 AMP breakers when we used the Washer/dryer or something the EMS didn't watch. Other than that the basement air worked fine with what ever you gave it.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
when I only have a 30amp service, I will trip the breaker on the #2 compressor. Depending on how hot it is, seem to keep the rv cool.
I have never tried it, but I have been told the power management system can be set to keep #2 on and shed other loads to keep #2 running.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog