cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3208 cat turbo, starts but will not shift into gear

Gonzo11111
Explorer
Explorer
My Beaver Contessa will not shift into gear, levelers are all up, air brake air is good, parking brake off. Not sure where to look for trouble and am out in the field. Thanks for any directions. Dick
13 REPLIES 13

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
3208 in a beaver you probably got a mt 647 four speed. What does your shifter look like? If it is a toggle switch you got a air shifter. Probably a stone Bennett shifter. You got 120 psi? Forget about codes/ecu/ect ect. The air shifter will be mounted on the passenger side of the transmission. Joe.

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Hello? The guy doesn't have a ECU coach.

rhar1
Explorer
Explorer
I had this problem with my Safari 3 weeks ago. It would not go into drive someone suggested I place a heatpad on the ECU on mine it was attached to the keypad. I used a clampon light with a 75 watt bulb near the ECU and after about an hour it would shift the next morning when it was cooler it would not shift. Placed the light near the ECU and it worked again. I located a web site transmissioninstruments in
Flower Mound TX. Phone 1-866-439-0779. Called and talked to John and explained my problem. He said he could rebuild the ECU and that should take care of it. I shipped it Monday Oct.6 2nd day air it returned Monday Ocy. 13 I installed per his instructions and it works perfect now. I have driven it 2 times and it works better than I rememberfor a couple of years.The repair was $495.00 plus shipping and insurance. Please report back if this solves your problem

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Running low on fluid?? That's not good, torched clutch packs result in no motion. 89 Allison, probably a 600 series, essentially huge Turbo 400. Fuses won't help you.

Gonzo11111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replys; I thought transmission fluid was a problem but filled it up because it was low, but no go. Transmission is an Allison 1989 variety. Am going to check fuses next. Dont think idle is a problem but will look at that right away. When I finally get it figured out and back home, I will let everyone know how it went right after I have a Bourbon in my favorite chair. Well not "in" my chair but in a glass while I am sitting in my chair ๐Ÿ™‚

Gasman_2
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Hohnstein wrote:
Year of coach would really help. A 3208 is stated, doubt there are any computer issues, transmission cable problems seems more likely.

Yes with a 3208 Cat engine the Allison would not be a "world" transmission like the current models. OP what Allison do you have in the coach? I would think it would be like a MT-645.
Gasman 2

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Year of coach would really help. A 3208 is stated, doubt there are any computer issues, transmission cable problems seems more likely.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Do a transmission check at your shift panel and see if you are getting any codes.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

dieselmd
Explorer
Explorer
Elevated RPM can be the result of having the cruise control turned on. If you have steering wheel controls, and you bump it... I have. Tranny will not shift in that state
2008 42' Scepter
2005 Chevy Trailblazer Toad

That idle deal got me ONCE. Mat had got under the back of the throttle pedal and caused a little extra idle speed. It wouldn't go into gear over a certain amount and I was over. Moved the mat and all was fine.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just did a Google search and found two possible items: Check the tranny fluid level. Apparently there is some type of relay that will not allow the tranny to shift if the fluid gets low. And he second thing was check the engine idle RPM. Somebody says if it is idling too fast there is a safety mechanism in the tranny that prevents it from shifting into gear.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
don't know id it will work for you or not but transmission guy told me to put the shifter in neutral and that will get the transmission pump working and then put it into gear. hope that helps.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm no mechanic, but I always start with the easy stuff first and that's circuit breakers and fuses. However, I've never had a fuse pop that went to the transmission, but doesn't hurt to look and see what's there.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4