cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

480LE Transmission Fluid Change

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got through removing the pan for a fluid change and went to the store, Walmart and Auto Zone and neither had Dextron III transmission fluid. The young girl at Auto Zone said it was replaced with Dextron/mercon. I look up on line for some answers and it said that it was a suitable replacement for Dexron III for passenger cars and light duty trucks nothing about HD trucks or MH's. Those of you with the older 480LE's what kind of fluid do you use? Last two times I changed the fluid I used Dextron III.
16 REPLIES 16

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deano56 wrote:
different types of oils do not take seals out, myth. Many switch to the newer synthetics , they don't boil off
When I switched to syn oil on my tow car it caused the pan gasket to leak I tighten the pan gasket bolts 3 times over a year to stop the leak. It may not take the gaskets out but it cause them to leak. The car had 80k on it at the time the MH had 30k on it when I switched and did not leak.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
different types of oils do not take seals out, myth. Many switch to the newer synthetics , they don't boil off

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My original Ford (2001) tranny used Dextron III. Got a re-manufacured tranny from JASPER last year and they said to use MERCON V...fully synthetic.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I buy my Dexron III at Costco. About $20 for a case. Have been buying it there for eight years.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

carz57r
Explorer
Explorer
If you use syn fluid in a older trans it could take the seals out.BE careful
ED

Coyote74
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Napa get their dexron/merconiii its made by valvoline it replaces dex3 .Dex 6 is bad for older trans pre 2005.
Joe Taylor , Good Sam Life Member
FMCA #285032
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Life's a trip, RVing makes it an incredible journey.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Born To Travel wrote:
You can use Dex 6, as it is backwards compatible.. But it is at the lower level for viscosity, Meaning it is already as thin cold as Dex 3 is hot... Do you really want that in a engine compartment that runs as hot as the enclosed engine in an RV?.. I run Dex 3 in my 1995 4l80e in my RV..
From my previous post I don't want to run syn in an 18 year old trans with 99 k miles on it. I decided to go with the Super Tech(Dextron/Mercon) from Walmart that is compatible with Dextron 3, which was nowhere to be found in my area.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
dex3 mercon are the same but I would use a fully syn. fluid

Bird_chaser
Explorer
Explorer
Worked heavy line for GM dealer which included 4L80. They were all changed over to D VI in 09. Be sure not to overfill this transmission as bad things will happen.
2014 GD Reflection 303RLS
2001 Silverado 3500, 6.0L/4L80e

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
You can use Dex 6, as it is backwards compatible.. But it is at the lower level for viscosity, Meaning it is already as thin cold as Dex 3 is hot... Do you really want that in a engine compartment that runs as hot as the enclosed engine in an RV?.. I run Dex 3 in my 1995 4l80e in my RV..

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the story on Dexron.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Auto Zone has it..Here is the part number.. They call it Dextron to avoid paying General Motors the licensing fee.. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Coastal-1-qt-Dextron-III-automatic-transmission-fluid/_...

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
MountainAir05 wrote:
Dexron VI is what is current. Read up . Have not seen 3 in many years here local.
My last chg was about 4 years ago. Fluid still looked good and very little stuff on magnet inside pan but was 30k miles since last fluid chg. Dextron VI is a syn fluid and my trans has 99 k miles on it and does not leak. I do not want to create any leaks now.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Born To Travel wrote:
Try some other auto parts stores.. Dexron 3 is one of the most popular trans fluids out there... You are just getting bad advice... Also final torque the pan bolts to 10 ft pds. to keep from distorting the sheet metal pan...
tried another Auto Zone and all they carry is Dextron/mercon also. Thanks for the pan torque I had to soak mine in Kroil oil several days to loosen them. I have broken to many small bolts.