cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6v battery lifespan?

klm
Explorer
Explorer
What is the average lifespan of 6v batteries? What would shorten the typical lifespan? Is there a big difference in longevity between the different types of 6v batteries? Thanks
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR
24 REPLIES 24

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Op back. Not sure about converter(no inverter), will go out and find out make/model when it stops pouring rain. Think very basic low end and original to '02 coach. Just went through my owners manual, it's an IOTA, single stage. Would it be beneficial to upgrade the converter when I replace the batteries? Oh, I should clarify, when the rv tech replaces ๐Ÿ™‚ how difficult a job is it, again rv tech not me to do? Cost?
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 Monaco which spent most of the season plugged in and all winter unplugged, I got 4 years out of the batteries before they started to test lower and lower. It wasnt until all 4 where consistantly low that my xentrex converter/inverter started to complain and I had to replace the 4 batteries.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 6-volt T105's that I bought new in 2008. I installed a disconnect switch after about 1 year because my converter seemed to over charge them while on shore power. I use a volt meter to keep an eye on them while dry camping and as far as I know, they have only dropped a little below 50% of full charge a couple of times.

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
HiKim.

A lot also depends on what kind and Brand of Converter/Charger that you have in your Motorhome? Check it out and find out if it is a good Multi-Stage, with 3 or 4 stages of charging and see if your Converter/Charger reaches at least 14.4 volts. Low Water Levels and Boiling the Batter Bank is the fastest way to ruin Battries very quickly, also dropping below the 50% Level to many times will greatly shorten your Batteys Life Span.

Good Luck Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our two small "YORKIE KID'S who love to travel as much as we do
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
klm wrote:
OP here. I am a fulltimer, 99% plugged in to shore power. I have 4 6 batteries. Current bank is 3+ yes and need to be replaced. Just wondering if there is something I can do to increase longevity with the new ones? I use the profill system to keep water level topped off. Anything else? Best name brand?

What converter, charger or inverter/charger do you have?

Is it a "smart" charger?

If so, has it been properly programmed?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

klm
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I am a fulltimer, 99% plugged in to shore power. I have 4 6 batteries. Current bank is 3+ yes and need to be replaced. Just wondering if there is something I can do to increase longevity with the new ones? I use the profill system to keep water level topped off. Anything else? Best name brand?
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
wwest wrote:
If we're speaking of two 6 volt batteries in series then care must be taken regarding recharging those with the chassis/alternator system. The chassis VR regulates VOLTAGE ONLY, it will dump the full alternator current rating, 100+ amps, into a discharged 6 volt deep cycle battery set, boiling the electrolyte away quickly.

Does this damage them or just cause a need for more maintaining??
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping them charged above 12.0dcv should maximize the number of life discharge cycles.

Each battery has X number of life cycles.

Maintenance and usage will determine the rest.

Store them fully charged.

The size of the golf cart battery may also determine life.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
If we're speaking of two 6 volt batteries in series then care must be taken regarding recharging those with the chassis/alternator system. The chassis VR regulates VOLTAGE ONLY, it will dump the full alternator current rating, 100+ amps, into a discharged 6 volt deep cycle battery set, boiling the electrolyte away quickly.

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the house batteries last as little as 2 yrs. and have heard people claim they have gotten upwards of 9 or 10 yrs. I think it has to do with how well you maintain them during times of no usage. And just my personal opinion, I think some of the higher end batteries do last longer with proper care.
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰