cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7 way plug issue - R turn and brake

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, hoping for some tips on this issue. Its an old 1990 Triple E and I am towing my Jeep behind. Plugging in the lights I only get left turn and brake, no right side at all. I even tried my magnetic set of lights with the same problem.

I assume it wouldnt be a ground issue because the left side works fine and there is only one ground blade in a seven way plug. The seven way plug looks okay.. but what am I missing here? Thanks for any input.

Sorry if this reads like ****. I'm typing this on my phone so not the best method for myself.
9 REPLIES 9

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It could just be a loose or broken wire etc. for the right turn/brake light line, presumably on the tow vehicle side of things.

If the Triple E has separate turn signal and brake lights there's some sort of a converter or other circuit to translate the signals for the trailer connector; that could conceivably also be bad/malfunctioning. I would hunt for a bad connection first, though.

Yep, looks like this was it. At the junction box the wire coming out of the adapter had a crack.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just this sent up the page here for a similar trailer safety lights problems.. Maybe my info will help here as well...

I carry one of the 7-way Trailer Connector testers - Got mine from ETRAILER but I have seen them in some auto parts places...

When you plug this into your truck trailer socket then it only see's the truck side. If the small LED lights work normal then there is not problem with your truck side...

Also on my 2010 new F150 Truck I had to install a RELAY and a FUSE that was in a unmarked plastic bag. This has to do with the TRAILER CHARGE DC voltages coming from the truck. It is only present when the truck ignition Key is turned ON. I found this bag in the truck glove box with no info with it. You can see where it plugs in by looking in your manual marked TRAILER CHARGE...

Trailer grounds and sometimes shorted out bulbs cause weird problems...

By eliminating the truck side being the problem it helps speed up tracking the down the problem on the trailer side...

ETRAILER.com has good info on its site to help you along...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 ways a 7 way plug could be wired. The other way would be for utility trailers with the center pin wired as auxiliary power.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
It may be just a bad wire. I rigged up a test light with a spare 1157 bulb and found a crack in the wire sleeve/insulating the flashers seem to work.

Thanks.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could just be a loose or broken wire etc. for the right turn/brake light line, presumably on the tow vehicle side of things.

If the Triple E has separate turn signal and brake lights there's some sort of a converter or other circuit to translate the signals for the trailer connector; that could conceivably also be bad/malfunctioning. I would hunt for a bad connection first, though.

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
Well so far it looks like they arent fused seperate. But the manual only includes diagram for GM fuse box and says to refer to chassis manual for Ford, which I dont have. Looking online it seems they arent though.

Thanks for the 7 way diagram, I was actually looking at that one online earlier.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Some times they are fused separately.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo