cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.3 and 5.9 liter Cummins engines

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 diesel pusher with a 8.3 liter does anyone know what emissions are on it? pretty sure it has a catalytic converter, pretty sure there is no diesel particulate filter, and not sure about the e g r? also have a 02 5.9 pickup that sometimes comes along. hopefully by knowing a little more about the emissions it will help diagnose any problems that might occur. I have heard a lot of the problems stem from emissions systems causing stress on the engine the e g his one of the worst I heard it recirculates the exhaust back through the engine and that crude up the oil. any way thanks for anyone that can help me figure out some of my engine components.
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
8 REPLIES 8

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The catalytic converter section of the exhaust treatment burns up (oxidizes) fuel not burned up in the engine which is why you no longer smell diesel fuel at the tail pipe. Don't think that there was any exhaust treatment of diesel engines in 2002 with the possible exception of EGR to reduce NOx (which is now done by the DEF treatment).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Have a buddy with a 2002 8.3 in his Kenworth. It does not have any emissions equipment. It may have passive EGR but that doesn't involve any extra parts either and is done via cam timing.
And yes, diesels use cat's but not this one.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should have a separate Cummins owners manual. If not, order one from any Cummins dealer (again for your engine serial number).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your coach didn't come with any owner's manuals?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Call Cummins with your engine serial number. The model year of chassis or coach is often NOT the model year of the engine.

They can tell you exactly what you have.

Cummins 800 343-7357

You can also go on Cummins Quickserve On-line (sorry, can't post link as it has my engines log in information).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
amxpress wrote:
Diesels do not have a catalytic convertors.

It’s strange then that so many companies make replacement catalytic for diesel trucks.

Magnaflow Diesel Catalytic Converters.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You only have EGR and other than the lift pump leaking...a good engine.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels do not have a catalytic convertors.
However, Cummins did install an EGR on the 8.3 in 2002, though that doesn't mean yours has one. Best to have someone look at it to confirm.
1998 – 2002: Cummins introduced the ISC Engine with CAPS (Cummins
Accumulator Pump Sysem) fuel injection system. This was a
computer controlled injection pump w individual lines going
to each injector. Upgraded to 24 valve head and
implemented electric fuel lift pump.
2002 - : Cummins Introduced the Cooled EGR emission upgrade to
reduce NOx.
EDIT: I stand corrected. Even at my old age, one has the ability to learn something new and enjoy eating crow smothered in catsup.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo