cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

84 Shasta Motorhome Rebuild/ Repair

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all I'm new to this forum and after reading for 2 soild days of oldtrucker63 Dodge rebuild has really inspired me to share my project.
Here is go's....
In the begining there was a CL ad, a poorly taken care of motorhome and a dumb guy (me) willing to buy it! lol, here is what I ended up with:
1984 Shasta - unsure if there is a model name.
Built on a Ford E350 Club Van chassis powered by a 460 big block backed with a C6 transmission.
Has 103k miles and runs and drives like a champ! (except the 6 square tires)
I knew this was a project, well more like of a piece of******but have love for things like this and it turns out it was in better shape than I expected but was in serious need of repair.
The seller didn't really know much about it and had vey little to tell me. The asking price was 600.00 and I talked hime down to 400.00 and sight unseen me and my brother were off to bring it home. Well when we got there It seemed a little worse than I thought but the seller said "it fires right up and everything works......" (then the "except" part came in) but the fridge and "I can't get the genset to stay running annnnnnnd there is some impact damage to the overhead bunk, and I think one of the windows is broke. I'm thinking to myself your unsure of this? lol then the story comes out that he barrowed it to somebody and they hit a tree and his fix was a plastic tub lid and 2500 feet of blue painters tape lots of plastic and enough staples to buil a whole motorhome!! Well after walking around this thing I said sure I'll take it as that was my terms of the sight unseen 200.00 off the asking price deal we made on the phone. So I started it up and it fired right up and ran great!, then I started smelling gas and looked under and sure it was pouring all over the ground!! damn, not going to drive it home now. I made the deal anyways and he had no problem if it sat for a few days so I could fix it or get it towed. So I handed him the cash and got the paperwork and headed home.
The next day I dove back to the MH and looked into what was leaking, could not get the engine cover off due to the welded nut in the body was broke free and spun so I had to pop the rivits out of the clamp and deal with it later. The source of the leak was the accelerator pump no big deal, it was a Motorcraft version Holley and they have not changed that pump desigin in years so off with the carb and to the auto parts store. I got the pump, installed it and she was running again!! and good! prepaired it to run down the road and away I went. Had no problem this thing runs smoother than my late model vehicles. on the way home I stoped a Uhaul and filled the propane tank and made it all the way home and put in a long term parking spot in the yard, because I knew I had some work to do, lots of work to do!
Well that's the beginning, I will try to figure out how to post pic and will get a visual up!
85 REPLIES 85

DSnapp
Explorer
Explorer
You have both scared and inspired me. I have a 1972 dodge midas mini to repair. I see I need more planning time. :E

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You've made a LOT of progress, getting into the home stretch now! Looking real good.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Wowzers! Every time I look at this thread, I marvel at the amount of work and commitment.

Lookin good!

Jose

81shastaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice
lets hit the road

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all it's been a little while since I've worked on my project or shared and of it's progress.
I've let this thing sit on the back burner since I last was working on the overhead bunk. I now am moving and this thing needs to move on it's own legs and most important not fall apart!
Ahhh where do I start? lol, I had been renting my current house long after I moved out just to store a motorhome I can move because it's not structurally sound for transit. And living a 100 miles away just gave me no time to get it done. Well I set a goal and a date and got it done, here is the results.

This about were I started, I installed the table support and fuel and access hole supports by laminating 1/2" MDF to = 1". Factory did the same.

Still need to finish framing in this section of the wall, not going to panel the inside right now, just need the outside done for the move.

Got the rest of the framing done for the window and the genset compartment. And a few spots for inside panel seems and where I thought would add strength. I also insulated the areas that are finished paneled inside.

I left the rear tile panel as I left it exposed to long to moisture and never insulated or supported and it warped, I figure I try that again when I peal the rear apart for repair and finish the bathroom at that time as well.

Made a nice corner section using the same process I used for the other openings. not really sure what was there before? may have been nothing.

Started hanging paneling, thought this was the best place to start.

Got it all paneled and well this MH is far from square, I did the best I could.

Now I started cleaning the glued on rotten wood from skin, turns out leaving it wood side facing the elements made for easy scraping off!

Got both upper and lower skin cleaned, no we will see how far off my openings are.

The bottom one was still one piece.

The top was a little tough as it was in two pieces and above my head. I was only tacking panels on a long screw at one end and using that a pivot I could adjust to fit.
This took forever, about half the day and turns out nothing aligned up well at all and had to find the happy middle. I hope all trim and compartment doors and windows cover the previously cut holes in the skin.
Then I secured along the top edge of skin and applied adhesive and messaged the skin and stapled where I could and kept compressing skin to paneling to make sure it adhered.

Made sure I installed one of the fuel tank fill's. Other tank don't work so I'll get that one later.

Taped up the other fill hose, and secured the wiring except the rear lighting, I need to connect that for move still.

Got the overhead bunk framed in and insulated. This turned out nice.

All paneled up! Ready for skin.....
I guess I was to tired to take any pictures of that, lol.
I got the nose skin on and it looks very rough as it had a tear and was all dented up. Smoothed it out a best as I could and think I can clean it up with body filler. We will see.

Anyways I put the corner trim on using a few screws as a temporary back bone to hold everything together and keep the wind from pealing it apart down the freeway.

I prepped the MH for a road trip, fluids good and full, battery still charged after over a year of sitting. Got the lights in order, at least stop, turn and tail.

Then I started to worry about the tires, six 10+ year old dry rotten tires, hum 16.5's where am I going to get them, and cheap. come to find out I can get them, hard to find in a E load range as a 8.75 so I found somebody who had a set of 4 16" wheels and tires from a F350 perfect. I put them in the back on the duels, I figure I rather have a blow out in the front than one in the back to destroy the walls. And I now have 4 spares for the front, I should be good for a 100 miles.

Off to the DOL and got the MH registered and insured, already got the AAA so I feel I'm good to go.

Off to the gas station and headed home. MH did great, ran good and the camper mad no funny "I'm falling apart" noises. One thing is for sure the front end needs some work. There is clearly a bent wheel and steering wheel is off and there was a wicked float followed by a white knucked death grip shake! But there were times the steering floated in the right spot and the front end was smooth as glass lol. I should have stoped but I just wanted it to get over so I prepared myself to drive a MH with out a wheel if needed!

So now it sits again, having a new baby soon and hope to maybe someday finish this project.

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
Firebirdman wrote:
Any more updates? Been following the cab over repair closely.

No updates at this time, I've been really busy with work and then I changed jobs and have had other work to do with and around the house. I hope to get back on it soon as I need to move motorhome and re- tarp the roof and would like to get the genset back in and the left hand wall finished.
I got held up on the cab over because I really want to delete the forward window because it's useless and the frame is bent and there is a piece of glass missing. I could repair the frame and replace the glass with no problems but I fell its going to cost me about 200 bucks to fix the window with that said I may be able to find siding to replace what was there for about the same cost.
But where? I'm looking for smooth aluminum like the original or corrugated metal or Fiberglas to match or come close to the sides. If I use smooth aluminum I will have to figure out how to round bend the corners??? Maybe able to install as I bend it over the corners? I don't know.
I wish I lived in Indiana or close to as I've been told its the rv capital and parts stores are just as common as car part stores.
Anybody have any idea where I could source the needed siding let me know I'm in Washington state.

Things would move so much faster if I had a covered space large enough to repair uncovered. It's a pain working outside with the weather and tarps. And it rains here all the time.
But to everyone that is subscribed don't give up on me I will get this done and always update as I move forward and love to hear others input and ideas. ๐Ÿ™‚

Firebirdman
Explorer
Explorer
Any more updates? Been following the cab over repair closely.

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
81shastaboy wrote:
Also have a 81 Shasta with 64k on it is a e350 460 c6 my modle is the 25rd it has two table two bunks over the cab and over the bed in the back i had a little fire in the back were the gen sits the exust
pipe got bent up and started floor and the wall on fire . now i have
to replace the paneling and some timbers some sheet meatal.

there not to many on the road old ones

don

Well sounds like you got the fire out quickly and you and your MH are ok. I've always wondered about high temps of the genset and fear fire. My genset has over a 1000 hrs on it and has a layer of dirt and greese about 1/8 thick. going to power wash that off and remove flywheel cover and cylinder head heat shield and get that all cleaned out to reduce operating temps. I have found many RV's missing heat shielding on the genset exhaust, like mine I think that they rattle off and don't get put back on, it is a tight hole to work in.

On the fire note I also fear the fridge, seems to be alot of them burning up RV's so I've read and see video's.

And you are correct, I have not found very many old Shasta MH's really the only ones I can pull up on internet searches is mine. And have never found one exactly or close to mine.
And I've never see one with wings like mine had wich I researched as a rare and unwanted option. lol

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny Dearborn wrote:
Mudshovel: I applaud you for your efforts but I still think you're a little crazy. (And I mean that as a compliment.) Keep posting the photos as I'm enjoying the show.

My Shasta is one of the newer ones. There's a photo of it in my signature. It's pretty basic, but it works for me. The work I do on it is just cosmetic stuff. I leave the serious stuff for the shop. It's actually getting new brakes and shocks put on it right now. Motorhomes are like boats with wheels - you just pour time and money into them.

Again Thank you.
I am crazy, lol.
I've rebuilt boats too to 10x there value as well I guess I'll never learn.
Stay tuned I'll get this thing done at some point!

81shastaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Also have a 81 Shasta with 64k on it is a e350 460 c6 my modle is the 25rd it has two table two bunks over the cab and over the bed in the back i had a little fire in the back were the gen sits the exust
pipe got bent up and started floor and the wall on fire . now i have
to replace the paneling and some timbers some sheet meatal.

there not to many on the road old ones

don
lets hit the road

Johnny_Dearborn
Explorer
Explorer
Mudshovel: I applaud you for your efforts but I still think you're a little crazy. (And I mean that as a compliment.) Keep posting the photos as I'm enjoying the show.

My Shasta is one of the newer ones. There's a photo of it in my signature. It's pretty basic, but it works for me. The work I do on it is just cosmetic stuff. I leave the serious stuff for the shop. It's actually getting new brakes and shocks put on it right now. Motorhomes are like boats with wheels - you just pour time and money into them.
---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
Oh but don't get me wrong I would LOVE to buy a late model RV with all the bells a whistles!
But let's face it they are a REALLY bad investment.

Mudshovel
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny Dearborn wrote:
Wow. As I read through this post, I'm equal parts amazed, impressed, horrified and perplexed. I'm impressed with all the work you're doing but I don't get it. It just seems crazy to me. For about the same money as you're sinking into this, you could have bought a fully usable RV that you could be enjoying right now. As much as I'm scratching my head, I'm also interested to see how this Shasta turns out. (I'm a Shasta owner myself.) Good luck to you!

Well I have a easy anwser for that as I've wondered that myself. First off I don't and will likely never have the cash on hand or the credit to even by a really cheap RV. Second even if I could by a 5000.00 dollar ish RV there never as good as the people selling them think they are. And third and most important I fix things, everything you name it, I'll fix it. And enjoy doing it.
With that said I really don't have much invested in this RV, less than a 1000.00 dollars in parts and don't count labor when it's for my owen plessure. And I get to make my RV cosy and built to my spec's.
I do have another camper for my truck, Restored it a few years ago, it's basic but to the point...... Camping!
And when I'm done, I'll know my RV don't leak and everything works as it should because my favorite line I've got from seller is " evrything worked the last time we used it...... I never tried running the fridge on propane and never used the heater, but told it worked from the previous owner" lol that must be the same line used across the world. I know it's in every other craigslist ad. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think and can't wait to see how this thing turns out myself.
Are you a older Shasta owner or one of them new really fancy new Shasta owners?

Little fun fact, My RV and newer (?) RV's are made by Couchmen.
Unsure if that's good or bad.

Johnny_Dearborn
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. As I read through this post, I'm equal parts amazed, impressed, horrified and perplexed. I'm impressed with all the work you're doing but I don't get it. It just seems crazy to me. For about the same money as you're sinking into this, you could have bought a fully usable RV that you could be enjoying right now. As much as I'm scratching my head, I'm also interested to see how this Shasta turns out. (I'm a Shasta owner myself.) Good luck to you!
---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.