Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C no A/C no more

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,
Getting ready to head out in a few days. Just finished rewiring the rear brow marker lights and backup camera (again) where rodents had decided to nest and chew. Need a new solution. Install a cat!?
Well, we planned on getting the interior ready today. It’s hot and humid. Go figure. So, I turned on the roof A/C unit. It’s a 4900 series Airxcel (Coleman Mach). Well, the fan came on, then after a second or two the compressor engaged and it started blowing cold air. But, after about 20 seconds the compressor shut down. And, about 10 seconds later the fan quit.
I pulled the filter, but it looked fine. Tried to run the unit without the filter. Same success. Removed the ceiling fixture. Examined wiring, etc. Nothing looked amiss. Tried it again. Nope.
Went on the roof. Took off the cover. Looked for any restrictions to air flow. Nothing.
So, my question is this. Am I looking at a capacitor failure? I don’t smell anything. No leakage. But, from what I read, the symptoms sound like it might be a possibility?

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Best,
Jack
4 REPLIES 4

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Don,
Have not checked the voltage. Will do so this am.

The breaker was not tripped.
After a wait of about a minute or so the A/C will restart, but the result is the same.

Back in a bit. Thanks for the reply.

Jack

O.K,…voltage is 110. I’m still thinking the capacitor. But, what I don’t get…yes, the unit is a 2012. We had a Itasca Suncruiser, but the wife wanted something she felt comfortable driving. We bought it from the estate of a good friend who passed and whose wife didn’t want it. They bought it new, but his health was deteriorating even then. So, they hardly used it. When we bought it, with tow car, it had 7,500 miles on the odometer. It now has 8,500. Would just the age be enough to affect the capacitor?
Tried it again this am. Fan starts, compressor starts, blows cold air for about 15-20 seconds. Then the compressor shuts down, and after another couple of seconds the fan quits. Weird.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jack,

Any idea what the voltage was?

Did you check the breaker to see if it tripped?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen wrote:
Could by freezing up. Try raising set temperature.

I doubt it would freeze up after only 20 seconds of operation.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Could by freezing up. Try raising set temperature.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker