cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A few Dometic RM 8505 Refrigerator observations and opinions

Chuck_Sorensen
Explorer
Explorer
Absorption refrigerators have been improved in the last few years. The 8505 Operating Instructions make no mention of having the refrigerator level during use. The warranty does not require level operation. The refrigerator works best when level and Dometic wants us to try it level before calling them for help with problems.

During a failure to cool using propane, the 12 vdc mode worked great while driving until we could obtain an ice chest. I think that the 12 volt mode is now getting a bum rap. (The refrigerator propane valve was our problem.)

While trouble shooting my cooling problem, one Dometic failure pointed out in their service manuals that got my attention was the burner flue tube becoming unwelded from the boiler. Burner works great, but no heat is transferred to the boiler.

I drive with the refrigerator on propane when a cluster of vehicle stops is anticipated.

I drive with the refrigerator on propane when charging the coach battery is a priority.

Refrigerator temperature seems to increase a couple of degrees over the stationary temperature when driving with the refrigerator on propane. I have not checked 12 volt operation temperature differences.

When all of its parts are working, this refrigerator performs better than expected; as during occasional unlevel and higher elevation operation. When you consider that the closed cooling system contains water, ammonia, hydrogen gas, and a corrosion inhibitor that you add heat, gravity, 12 vdc control, and ambient air to, and then it can make ice cubes; it is like magic.

Chuck Sorensen
Buellton, California
2012 PW Excel TS
5 REPLIES 5

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
i read reviews of the Dometic 8 refrigerators. they are superior to the previous versions.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
The DC part has been the weak link of our previous two Dometic 3-way refrigerators. It simply does not cool as well as AC or propane. It will barely maintain temperature and if you start using your refrigerator and opening the door a lot you will most likely end up over 40F fast while underway. That happens if you stock your refrigerator with cold liquid refreshments and cold snacks and grab them out while driving. That happens when you have a passenger partner that can do that. And that's why the temptation to run on propane while driving grows on you. A 3.8 cf refrigerator can lose its cooling fast.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
My 8330 seems to run fine in DC mode when traveling. I drove down to florida and back this summer without issue. Key is starting with a cold fridge.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The following is directly from Owners Manual for the Dometic RMD8505

Please observe the following particular conditions for storing food in a refrigerator that is built into a vehicle:

*Use of the refrigerator during travel with the
power supply of 12V DC

Under these particular conditions the refrigerator cannot guarantee reaching the temperature needed for perishables

Reason no guarantee is due to small size of DC heating element. It is intended for use in 'maintaining' temps while in transit.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Very informative report.Thanks