Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A vs. C

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
We currently own a 2009 Kingsport 295 QB and are thinking of selling the TT and buying a motorhome.
We just don't know if we want to get a class A or C.
I've read a lot about both and they have their own ups and downs.
Looking for some help from those that have/had owned these. Is there any one that has owned both and prefer one over the other?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the class a motor homes have too many steps. However, I do like the thor vegas and if it did not have the slide might buy it.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TriumphGuy wrote:
KristinU wrote:
...the branch overhang is often bad enough with a C but it would be impossible with an A.
Our 5er is tall and I get nervous a lot with it. I'd rather drive around a C and not worry as much.
Our rig HERE is only 9'-10" to the tippy-top of the roof a/c unit so we drive around without a worry because the bigger rigs take care of branches and such. Lower is smaller inside so our rig does have a lower cabin ceiling which is fine as long as you are under 6' tall.

A lower roof and a slimmer side-to-side translates to a much stronger cabin structure and improved drivability. They handle better, less tossed around from winds and uneven road surfaces. Our particular model is very popular with older and retired single women, an indicator of "drive friendliness". But even the longest 31 foot model benefits much the same. All Models Here. If you are comfortable with a little less floor space and head clearance, then consider a smaller "C" for these reasons.

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
KristinU wrote:
I could ditto a lot of the comments on why we chose C over A, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is height. Our C is 31 feet, so it is pretty big as far as C's go, but we still hit a lot of state parks and such. But, even if access is decent for a longer rig, the branch overhang is often bad enough with a C but it would be impossible with an A.

The other thing for us is the time factor. We figure that a Ford Econoline chassis can be looked at and fixed in darn near any small town across the US rather than having to be towed somewhere for work. Not a big deal with roadside and towing coverage, but a big deal to our time budget since we're both still working full time and we have a school aged kid. When time isn't so much the essence this won't weigh in as much for us.

I think it really comes down to your plans and your camping crew and your style.

Very good points. These were large factors for us - serviceability of the E chassis (either by me or anyone out on the road) and height. Our 5er is tall and I get nervous a lot with it. I'd rather drive around a C and not worry as much. And DW is more comfortable driving a C which factors into that time budget - with only me driving the truck + 5er we can only go so far.

And of course it boils down to your style ... we'd stick with the 5er if we were long-term stay and play people but we are transitioning into "tour the US on a working man's vacation time" so we're wanting to be more efficient with travel time (limited stops & both of us driving) ...
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping for my MH, (2004) I test drove many Class As and Cs in my price range. I found I didn't like the way the Class As rode compared to the Class Cs (in that price range). Still have the same Class C.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
super_camper wrote:
My comments are different than what has been provided above.

In my experience, a Class C will cost less than a class A. Both have advantages based on requirements.

Buy based on:
1) what you need/want
2) what you can afford
3) what provides the best value

Look for guidance from the forum but make fact based decisions.

Agree with the basis on what to buy...don't agree about the price thing...they are making a lot of Class A's now starting under $100,000. If you are going to compare apples to apples as in comparison of size between a Class A and Class C (30' to 30'), price will not be a whole lot more for a Class A. Of course you can also buy a $200k or $200k Class A 30' model....depends on the brand...

We started with a pop up years ago...moved up to a TT back in 2010. Didn't think we could afford a motorhome. But finally realized we could. Wee went with the Class C for several reasons.

- easier to drive
- easier to park in our driveway
- lower to the ground. Not as many steps. (TT sat up real high)
- Better use of space. We have a teen that goes with us. The bed over the cab is a perfect fit for her. It doesn't have to be raised or lowered like the ones you can get in some Class A's. Plus I feared that we would end up with a malfunction of the beds that lower down mechanically.
- can get worked on just about anywhere. A lot of places will not work on the larger motorhomes.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
My comments are different than what has been provided above.

In my experience, a Class C will cost less than a class A. Both have advantages based on requirements.

Buy based on:
1) what you need/want
2) what you can afford
3) what provides the best value

Look for guidance from the forum but make fact based decisions.

fred3
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned a class A, class C and currently have a fw. The next one will be the Class C. Nothing can beat the versatility of a fifth wheel BUT the C is much easier to travel in. As far as driving for me it is a wash between an A and C but my DW and copilot much prefers a to drive a C. I thought the C had more storage that the A and I prefer the shade over the window:)
2003 F350 CC, PSD

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comparing identical prices new-to-new, the C & B+ will be the better built unit in the under $150,000 price range. Once you start spending over $150,000, the A's starts to show better quality. A visual indicator rule-of-thumb is that when the "A" has a front door forward of the passenger seat like a Grey Hound bus, the rest of the coach is getting better attention. Diesel pushers are another indicator. I believe the two go hand-in-hand, front door feature and diesel pusher.

Back in 2007 when shopping for a new rig at a local RV dealer tent sale, I walked through brand new class A's that were priced on the windshield at $59,000. A quick walk thru had me leaving swiftly. The interior construction was inferior which turned me off to them.

Strangely I had trouble breathing in some class A units. Adhesives and material outgassing had me nearly passing-out.

I agree with just about all comments made by everyone prior. So many good points shared regarding crash safety, servicing, entry/exit, drivability, etc. I favor the class B+ for the travel style my wife and I do. But if we were full-timing, I would consider a short-as possible "A" diesel pusher for the extra storage and how the cab area becomes a very nice part of the living room.

badbob1
Explorer
Explorer
Sold our 30' 5th wheel last year as decided we wanted a motorhome after years of enjoying 5th wheels. Had decided on a short class A. Wanted to be mobile and ease of getting around. Liked the class c but just hard to get to back living area from the drivers seat in the Ford a bit better in the Chevy. Then I drove the Mercedes Sprinter, I was sold. Easy and comfortable to access the back both seats swivel and plenty of room. Purchased a Forest River Solera 24R and are very happy with our choice. Class A was nice but really did not need that much room and I really like the doors in the cab area. Looked at class A with drivers door but worse then the old Kenworth truck I drove. Mercedes Sprinter chassis met all our needs.
BadBob

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Good point on the events - DH and I are both runners and we like to drive ours to races if we can. Like Richmcm mentioned, it is sweet to have your own kitchen, bathroom (with shower!), and living room along! So we see a lot of grass parking fields with this type of use. I have no grounds whatsoever for this opinion, but I just feel like a class C chassis is better suited for driving on bumpy grass. Like I said, no grounds for that opinion, so somebody can tell me that is crazy 🙂
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Age old question! Never owned an "A" but stock answers are that "C"s have more protection in a head on collision, are easier and may be cheaper to have serviced, and seem to be better for families than couples.Some like the wide expanse of Class A windshields, some like the shade of a Class C overhead.
Beyond that, a 27-foot class A and a 27-foot Class C are similar in many ways. Much longer Class A's seem more suited to stays in luxury RV Parks, and less suited to rustic camp sites. We often take our 27 foot Class C to local parks,and events, etc., where parking a much longer rig would be more difficult. Most Class A owners seem to prefer longer rigs.

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a class c many years ago to use for exactly what you are doing now at this point in you life. We first used it to visit our oldest daughter in college, go to track meets for our youngest daugter and used as our primary work vechicle for our rental property. It has been awesome. Our 2006 Winniebago Aspect has been to so many colleges and track meets throughout the East coast and we never would have been able to enjoy or childrens growth with such enjoyment. You always have food, bathroom facilities and never have to rush to get to an event - you just go the night before and show up early and make a cup of coffee. We went for a class c for what I call the crumple zone. I was in a serious accident with a full size Ford van and had just enough protection to survive the collsion. The smaller class A's scare me a little after being through that experience so we went with the class c E450. Very easy to park, service youself and we have already downsized since my children are grown and we are now empty nesters. Good Luck with your decision.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 'C' for the best of reasons. I already own the building where I store it, and an 'A' won't fit through the doors. Maybe if I got a good run for it....
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that was some quick answers. thank you very much.
We plan on using the MH for camping, trips to Disney, Cedar point etc, as well as using it for all the tournaments my daughter plays in. She plays travel softball.
Every one made some very good points. A lot of them I was thinking too. Like leveling jacks, storage, water capacities, and sitting up higher when driving.
There is an rv show this week end that we are going to.
I am leaning towards an entry level A.
The one in particular that we like is the Fleetwood Storm.
By the way, my daughter plays for Lakeshore Storm.
Thanks again.