cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About to Purchase 2018 Tiffin Allegro 34PA

dramsey1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Sunstar 27n that I am thinking about trading for a 2018 Tiffin Allegro 34PA. The Ford chassis has been sufficient for my 27 footer but I wonder about this 34 footer. Ford introduced a six speed tranny in 2016 and I guess detuned the engine from 362 to 320 horsepower but apparently increased the torque slightly. Having a 2015 I don't know what this did to performance.

Does anyone have any experience with the pre 2016 powertrain and the post 2018 one? Can someone tell me if the horsepower reduction is made up for by the 6 versus 5 speed transmission?

Also, does anyone know how the late model 34PA's perform?

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this.
18 REPLIES 18

BigMac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Allegro 34PA with the rerated V-10 and 6-spd transmission and it is a great combination. I had a 2004 F53 chassis MH prior and the Allegro beats it hands down for drivability. Also for the record it's a 36' MH, not 34. The only difference between the 24k chassis and the 26k are the rear spring rates. Everything else is 26k capable. Make sure you specify the 26k chassis and leave nothing to doubt.

Mike and Cindy

FMCA / Good Sam Member
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 PA
2010 Pontiac G6

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Andy F wrote:

I wonder why Tiffin started offering the 34PS on a 24000 lb chassis. Originally the 34PA came only on the 26000 lb chassis. Money savings for Tiffin???

The first catalog in which the 34PA appears is the 2016 catalog. 2016 and 2017 catalogs show the 34PA on the 24K chassis. 2018 catalog states the chassis as 26K and 2019 as 24K with 26K optional.

In 2016 I was interested in the 34PA and aware of the 26K chassis as an option. I called a fella named Inman at Tiffin who went out to the plant to get me actual as built weights on a 32Sa with the optional 24K chassis and a 34PA with the optional 26K chassis. As It turned out I bought a 32SA with the 24K chassis and with it loaded for full time living I have somewhat over 1500 pounds of spare payload, about equally split between front and rear axles.

For those interested the 34PA Inman weighed had the washer and dryer and the L sofa and weighed 21750 pounds with 7950 pounds on the front axle (9000 pounds GAW) and 13,800 on the rear axle (17,500 GAW). I thought that when full timing a little care would be in order to not overload the front axle. Since 2016 Tiffin has moved the 4 batteries from under the entry steps to the rearmost compartment, behind the rear wheels; I assume this gained considerable front axle payload.

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
There was a 2018 34PA at the Mpls RV show back in February and when I checked the chassis weights label in the master bedroom closet I was shocked to see it was a 24000 lb chassis with a very limited cargo capacity. Up until that point, I was pretty interested in it. The sales guy had no clue when I pointed out my concern.

I wonder why Tiffin started offering the 34PS on a 24000 lb chassis. Originally the 34PA came only on the 26000 lb chassis. Money savings for Tiffin???
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

dramsey1
Explorer
Explorer
Update... I visited our local dealer who has several dealerships around the country and he had many 34pa's but only one on the 26000lb chassis and it's nowhere near where I am. I was told that the 26000lb chassis became standard very recently so they will not be building anymore on the 24000lb one. Cargo carrying capacity on the smaller 24000lb chassis is less than I have now. If your considering this coach new or used I suggest you pay extra attention to the GVW and look at the placard itself on the door to confirm it. Since two different GVW's have been offered on this coach the seller may be mistaken about which is on that particular coach.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
dramsey1 wrote:
Okay, thanks for all of your good help everybody. I may make the move tomorrow after sleeping on it one more night. Really helps to hear from folks who already have the experience. A diesel is out of the question for me due to the costs and additional complexity. I'll make sure to get the 26000 pound capacity.

I could buy two of mine for the price of one of those. Mine is also older than dirt.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
As an aside, I suggest you get a 34PA with the optional 26,000 pound chassis; depending on your needs the standard 24,000 pound chassis can be low on payload.

do both of these chassis have the same size tires/rims? I priced what it would cost to replace the tires once and there was a big difference when you move up. talked me out of it.
bumpy

If you have to worry about replacing tires every 7 years or so maybe a rv isn't for you.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dramsey1
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, thanks for all of your good help everybody. I may make the move tomorrow after sleeping on it one more night. Really helps to hear from folks who already have the experience. A diesel is out of the question for me due to the costs and additional complexity. I'll make sure to get the 26000 pound capacity.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
A simple test is to compare your 40-60 MPH times at WOT in your current 27 FT MH and the new 34 FT MH. If I had to guess your 27 ft MH will take about 12 secs and the 34 ft will take about 15 secs because of weight. Both will get you where you are going but your current one will likely have better performance. This test will tell you for sure.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 35" Newmar on the F-53 with the 6 speed. I have had no complaints even though I had a DP in the past.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2015 Winnie 35f with the old horse power and 5 speed , now have a 2018 34 pa which has the 26000 pound chassis and 6 speed . We have over 9000 miles on it with a trips though the mountains of Maine, New Hampshire and New Brunswick Nova Scotia Canada. As well as trips to Florida and South Carolina, all towing a crv. Had no problems with power.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Buying tires for a new RV shouldn't have to be done for 5-7 years. Save up! ๐Ÿ™‚

if money is no object, get a DP
bumpy

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10 wasn't "detuned". Look at the specs and you will see they are just rating it at a lower RPM. The "extra power" is still there but nobody ever accesses it because the engine gets so noisy at the higher RPM. My 37 footer with the 5 speed is fine although my friend's newer rig with the 6 speed is better.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

do both of these chassis have the same size tires/rims?
bumpy

Yes.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Buying tires for a new RV shouldn't have to be done for 5-7 years. Save up! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel