cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Usage

revump
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 Alfa SeeYa. Recently, I spent 2 months at the same RV Park. My SYA used more power than any other unit in the park by almost double. The utility company checked the meter and it seemed to be okay. So, I am trying to discover if I have a problem in my rig. Any suggestions would be great.
Bob
12 REPLIES 12

sflabrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Your probably going to find it was your block heater

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about using a Kill-a-Watt plugin. It tells you not only the incoming voltage but will also let you monitor electrical usuage of individual devices.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=3212817909&ref=pd_sl_8v3ml4scx1_e
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Yep ... will work on this at the next resort

rgatijnet1 wrote:
I assume that you have your own separate power meter. Watch the meter and switch off one circuit at a time, at the circuit breaker in your coach, and you should see what is drawing the most power.
Bob

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume that you have your own separate power meter. Watch the meter and switch off one circuit at a time, at the circuit breaker in your coach, and you should see what is drawing the most power.

Coyote74
Explorer
Explorer
Hot water on all the time(thermostat sticking) and a/c running all the time draws most wattage. I was at a rally and they show up with rigs with 3 A/C's or 4 and the staff wanted them to pay separate elec or pay a higher fee.
Joe Taylor , Good Sam Life Member
FMCA #285032
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Life's a trip, RVing makes it an incredible journey.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, not a good idea to leave the block heater on all the time.

Unless temperatures are below zero F, a couple of hours is all you need for an easy engine start. No heater ever needed if you are not going to start it-- most are 1500 watt heaters. And yes 24/7 they can use a lot of power.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

revump
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in the NW. So, we have used block heater. We will try shutting it off next time we have a metered site. Thanks.

wildmanbaker wrote:
I would look at an engine block heater, but you are in Las Vegas. Try turning off the electric hot water heater. Do you have a space heater in an basement compartment, that is plugged in and running? If you have a electrical watt meter at you site, check it to see if you are using any power. If so, start turning things off and checking the meter to see what differences it makes. If everything you can think of, is off, start opening breakers one at a time and checking the meter to see if usage drops off. Keep doing this until all you have closed is the main. If you still have usage, there is probably a problem with the lead-in wiring. Bad inverter/charger?

Good luck
Bob

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Just because you use a LOT of electricity, does not mean you have a "problem" with your RV. Alfa motorhomes were notorious for Air Conditioner cooling problems. The design of the basement air and return duct system meant that in temps above 80 degrees the AC units ran almost 24/7. You may have a little more air leakage than other units next to you. As others stated, make sure your Engine block heater is off. Doug

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
How do you use your A/C ?
Do you turn it on once it gets uncomfortable inside or turn it on and leave it on ?

Do you have and use a Washer Dryer and they don't ?

In the resort we've been in for the past 3 hot months, most of the RV'ers run the A/C 24 hours and rarely turn it off. Even if they leave to go shopping or to the pool the A/C stays on.

I'm guessing if you turn it on and off frequently you may actually use more power. The A/C works hard to cool down the interior. If the A/C is left on all of the surfaces get cold and the A/C doesn't have to work as hard to maintain the temp inside.

We leave ours on unless the temp outside gets below 65 and there is a breeze..then we open up all the windows and shut of the A/C. Our electric bill in the San Diego area RV resort for August was $139.00 don't know how many KW we used. Washer / Dryer used every other day and A/C plus all of the other fun electronics daily.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Poor insulation, leaks, open vents, doors etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at an engine block heater, but you are in Las Vegas. Try turning off the electric hot water heater. Do you have a space heater in an basement compartment, that is plugged in and running? If you have a electrical watt meter at you site, check it to see if you are using any power. If so, start turning things off and checking the meter to see what differences it makes. If everything you can think of, is off, start opening breakers one at a time and checking the meter to see if usage drops off. Keep doing this until all you have closed is the main. If you still have usage, there is probably a problem with the lead-in wiring. Bad inverter/charger?

Good luck
Wildmanbaker

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go and check to see how much you are pulling, amps wise, from your unit. Are you comparing units like for like?