cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accidents versus Safe Driving

69gp
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would post my thoughts on the recent rash of accidents and driving habits of some RV drivers.

I live in MA but spend a lot of time on the roads in New England. With the fall color almost done here I have seen a lot of bad driving habits from speeding, to driving to slow to towing a dingy in the passing lane.

First off I will be the first to say I don't obey all the laws of the road.

Seen the following over the past week on RT 495.

Looked to be about a 44 MH towing a ford F150 in the passing lane at about 80 MPH I was doing 70 in the center lane in my pu. speed limit is 65

Dually towing a large 5th wheeler in the passing lane. trailers not allowed in that lane in MA.

At least a 40' MH doing about 60 in the passing lane. Ton of people passing on the right including me.

Pickup truck pulling a trailer with a ball hitch and not having the tow setup done correctly. Truck and trailer was all over the road.

RT 290 Worcester Super C towing a boat through the city at about 70 MPH speed limit is 50. lot of turns on this road.

Now for some good was driving along a side road in NH following a MH going a lot slower than the speed limit. Most likely just taking in the fall foliage. MH driver slowed down and pulled to the right signalling me with his hand to pass him. Just want to say thanks.

I figure a lot of the accidents we see are most likely cause by speed, drivers not capable of handling the rig they are driving, not having there tow vehicle set up properly and not knowing the laws of each state as to what the rules of the road are.

just my 2 cents.
Steve B
4100 lb 8.872@ 156 MPH naturally aspirated
Square peg in a round hole is the way to go
40 REPLIES 40

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Look at the map posted by rgatijnet1 above.
Only 10 states forbids slow driving on left lane and I bet you can find loopholes there as well.
Notice I am talking about slow driving, not blocking the traffic, what would be another can of worms.

I wouldn't even consider that map. It has so many errors. IT doesn't even list New York. It lists New Jersey as left lane is only for turning, HUH????? How does anyone pass.

New York and New Jersey you must keep right unless passing. Use the link I posted it's more accurate and links to state statues. Although NY's link is dead, but the section of law is correct.

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Here we go again.
In most of US states slow driving in "passing lane" is perfectly legal.
There is no law, even less of law enforcement that would organize the traffic.
When the law creates chaos, where do you want to go from here?

Actually you got this backwards. In most states you must keep right unless passing.

Info with state links

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I also think your post is spot on! Anywhere in the U.S.A. driving is a privilege not a right!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
First he did not present himself as LEO and than it was not the person behind who deliberately blocked the traffic and "check the brakes"
I do admire the honesty ๐Ÿ˜‰
I will not even mention I heard that story before :W

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Hmm.. cops promoting rage and danger driving.
Where do we go from here?

The person behind the LEO made all his own decisions. Don't blame it on the cop.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmm.. cops promoting rage and danger driving.
Where do we go from here?

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
The speed limit out on I-5 in the middle of California is 70 in a lot of places. If you get out there and do 70 in the fast lane you'll get run over. Smart thing is to get out of the way and let the dummies pass. So many road rage incidents start over tailgating it just isn't worth it.

But I will add a war story for you. Back before I retired I was driving to work on 99 in California. A kid in a Ford mustang came up behind me right on my bumper. Traffic was fairly heavy and I was in the center of three lanes. The center lane was going faster than the fast lane. So this kid comes over right on my tail and flashes his headlights for me to get out of his way. There was a truck in the slow lane blocking him from changing lanes and using that to pass me. So I slowed a little to make sure I stayed close enough to the truck that he couldn't get around me. I could see him pounding on his steering wheel in the rear view and cussing at me. So I did a brake check on him and that really ticked him off. So I played with him enough and I pulled out in front of the semi enough that he could pass me on the right which he did while giving me the one finger salute all the way around and then cutting right back into me causing me to take action to avoid a collision. Now I would never recommend anybody doing this, unless of course you are a cop in an unmarked car which I was. You should have seen him when the lights came on. He had every excuse in the book about why he was driving that way. He was cited for reckless driving which is probably easier than I should have let him off with. His changing lanes and forcing to take evasive action could have been considered ADW if I wanted to push it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
...Technically the Highway Patrol could stop you both and give tickets.

Thank-you! This is the very thing that no one is saying! Thank-you!

So, I'll go ahead and move on over, then the guy behind me can go ahead and get the ticket! Wahoo! I'll smile as I drive right by him and the officer!

FYI, I avoid interstates, and the few times I end up on I-465 around Indianapolis, I'm shocked. Speed limit is 55 (all lanes), and people are buzzing by like I'm standing still. No clue how fast they are going. All I know is, it's fast! Funny though, when traffic slows down to the speed limit and all of a sudden there's a bottle neck, there's almost always a police car ahead! Funny how that works? Hum?

69gp
Explorer
Explorer
Where is there an HOV lane in Mass?

I-93

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=car/FAQ-HOV-93HOV&sid=about
Steve B
4100 lb 8.872@ 156 MPH naturally aspirated
Square peg in a round hole is the way to go

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Here we go again.

WILD WILD WEST

Please name a state that has no such law and I will look up their vehicle code and fact check you. I'm willing to bet no state has a law that doesn't require slower traffic to stay right.

Only 10 states forbids slow driving on left lane and I bet you can find loopholes there as well.
Notice I am talking about slow driving, not blocking the traffic, what would be another can of worms.

The OP was talking about blocking traffic and your comment was he was wrong as "most" states have no such laws.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Just to add fuel to the fire, (OK, I'm a trouble maker here).. I still do not understand how ... if you are actually speeding in the far left lane, (anything over the posted speed limit), and you have someone riding your bumper, how that is impeding traffic? Both drivers are wrong, because both drivers are speeding. I just don't get it?

If the front driver is UNDER the speed limit, yes.... I perfectly under stand that. But if going faster than the speed limit, does that mean they should go EVEN faster to get out of the way so the person behind can go even faster yet!

The whole thing is really bad if you ask me. Unfortunately, law enforcement and the courts let speeders get away with this. So... where's the safety factor here? Someone driving 90 mph when the speed limit is 50, or someone driving 50 when the speed limit is 50, and an impatient person who just can't obey the law? I REALLY don't get it. That's why I drive in the far right and let them pass. I don't get it ... left lane, speeding, and that's impeding traffic?

The reason behind the law is all safety. If you're in the fast lane doing the speed limit or faster, and there are people behind you who want to go faster than you, than they are very prone to tailgate and make unsafe lane changes to get around you. So States have laws that make you in the wrong too. Technically the Highway Patrol could stop you both and give tickets.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
69gp wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
"First off I will be the first to say I don't obey all the laws of the road."

I think that says it all. ๐Ÿ™‚

I admitted up front. just an example. In Ma you can drive a commercial pickup truck with 2 people in in the HOV lane. You cannot do that in NY. I got a $100 fine plus it would have put points on my insurance. Went to court and plead guilty to opening my drivers door on the road. Same fine but does not go on your insurance.

This was all because I did not know the laws of another state.

Where is there an HOV lane in Mass?

Trucks, Mh's and anyone towing anything are not allowed in the left lane in Mass. Yet lots of people do it and as the OP states, its dangerous.

Here is a tricky one in Mass: There are several highways that allow driving in the breakdown lane during peak hours. Navigating a MH on one of these roads is taking a risk of life and limb.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Just to add fuel to the fire, (OK, I'm a trouble maker here).. I still do not understand how ... if you are actually speeding in the far left lane, (anything over the posted speed limit), and you have someone riding your bumper, how that is impeding traffic? Both drivers are wrong, because both drivers are speeding. I just don't get it?

If the front driver is UNDER the speed limit, yes.... I perfectly under stand that. But if going faster than the speed limit, does that mean they should go EVEN faster to get out of the way so the person behind can go even faster yet!

The whole thing is really bad if you ask me. Unfortunately, law enforcement and the courts let speeders get away with this. So... where's the safety factor here? Someone driving 90 mph when the speed limit is 50, or someone driving 50 when the speed limit is 50, and an impatient person who just can't obey the law? I REALLY don't get it. That's why I drive in the far right and let them pass. I don't get it ... left lane, speeding, and that's impeding traffic?

I dare anybody who is interested to drive I-5 between San Diego and LA.
Part of the 4-lanes freeway goes via military base, so no exits, no rest areas for several miles.
So what happen there in afternoon traffic?
Lane #1 goes stop&go
Lane #2 goes about 25 mph with frequent slowing downs
Lane #3 occupy mostly by semi trucks goes about 40 mph.
Lane #4 is mostly having no traffic, so I never hesitated to go there 80 mph.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Here we go again.

WILD WILD WEST

Please name a state that has no such law and I will look up their vehicle code and fact check you. I'm willing to bet no state has a law that doesn't require slower traffic to stay right.