cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding onto electric wires

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
I have a older rig, ( no computer chips to worry about) I want to add one or two GFI plugs in the kitchen, can I splice off of any 110 white line ? I see a couple of lines next to the inverter box and a couple of the look like they are coming from the outside plug
Being GFI's I wasn't sure if I needed to come out of the breaker panel ?
Thanks,
Eric
27 REPLIES 27

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
8 amps at 120 volts will be 80 amps out of the 12 volt battery.
Better to just run the generator.

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an off-the-wall question , I was looking on Amazon.com and found it inverter that you can plug into your cigarette lighter/PowerPort or connect directly to the battery it is 1000 W my question is I have a very small portable AC that is I was looking on Amazon.com and found it inverter that you can plug into your cigarette lighter/PowerPort or connect directly to the battery it is 1000 W my question is I have a very small 15amps and draws 8 Amps,
I was hoping to run this while driving in these triple digit temperatures help keep the motorhome cool while driving instead of turning on the generator to run the roof air do you think this 1000 watt would work it says it can run a appliances and TVs ?
Can it destroy my battery car overheat my battery while driving ?
Like I said another' odd question...
Thanks

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
Great answers and options
thank you all

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mercedesme28 wrote:
I have a older rig, ( no computer chips to worry about) I want to add one or two GFI plugs in the kitchen, can I splice off of any 110 white line ? I see a couple of lines next to the inverter box and a couple of the look like they are coming from the outside plug
Thanks,
Eric
Take a look at this - IMHO following electrical advice given on the forum is at least a little suspect on occasions, so I always try to refer someone to a simple answer, with pictures, never my own advice.

Not picking on anyone just adding a simple solution I googled.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mercedesme28 wrote:
Thanks,
Eric

Parallel all you want and whether code or not, they are a matter of locations convenience and highly unlikely that one would try using them all at once. No matter, there's a 15 or 20amp breaker at the source for protecting the wiring and that's all it does, in fact.
Now just for the sake of clarity in conversation, what you're describing are outlets or receptacles, with plugs being their male counterpart With your reference to white wire, I'm going to assume that you're talking about the Romex enclosure sheath of the conductors and hopefully you know not to be swapping with the conductor's color code. One rule that always works is the wide blade of the outlet or plug, is neutral and coded, white. It's opposite is the hot side and usually coded black or red. What's left is ground and coded, green or bare naked.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
And at least in theory, the amp rating is a function of wire size. 15 amp = 14 gauge wire, 20 amp = 12 gauge wire.

It's no problem to use higher ratings, but lower would not be good. If the circuit you are tapping into is a 20 amp circuit or uses 12 gauge wire, you should stay with that.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

MrWizard
I think he was looking at the romex cable going into the outlet box
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
mercedesme28 wrote:
can I splice off of any 110 white line ?

That's an odd way to state the question so just incase...........
In order for the GFCI to work correctly, all 3 wires must come from the same "run". White, black and ground.

P.S. The black wire is hot, or should be.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not adding a new circuit (breaker in your panel), why not simply daisy chain regular outlets from the GFI you already have.
GFIs are designed to protect the downstream circuits when wired correctly.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

MrWizard
yes.. that will work, as long as you are not trying to exceed the limit of the CB in the service panel
even with extra outlets, you can't run the coffee maker and toaster at the same time on the same circuit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
The GFI's I bought are 15A knowing most my rig was 15A I wanted to stay the same...
But I need a extra plug or two in the kitchen,
Thank you for your help.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A GFCI (properly wired) will protect all the "downstream" outlets in the circuit.

Yes, you could tap into any accessible 120V circuit, assuming you follow proper wiring protocol and procedures. Many GFCIs are rated for 20A circuits too, by the way, if that's what you have—consult the packaging to be sure.

You can also get GFCI breakers to replace the breakers in your power center. I don't know offhand if tandem GFCI breakers are available (it may vary depending on the circuit breaker family used). If you can make use of a GFCI breaker, it avoids the need of putting in an electrical box etc. for the GFCI outlet.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming they are 15A circuits, you could add them anywhere while keeping in mind not to exceed a 15A total load.

It is not necessary to have 2 GFI on the same circuit, but it certainly can't hurt to have them on separate circuits.

We all learn by experience but some of us have to go to summer school. --- Peter De Vries
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.