cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding xm/sirius antenna

rdl1155
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone added XM/Sirius Antenna on top Class A Coachmen Mirada/Pursuit - want to mount antenna on roof and run cable inside between window post and trim down under dash board. Original coach clearance lighting wires, TV & radio antenna wires, etc. already running down in that location. Believe I can get access to all areas but before I begin to remove panels I wanted to know of any concerns I need to be aware of if someone else had tried this.
12 REPLIES 12

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
I ran my sticky-back Sirius antenna behind the left most clearance light. just recaulked the housing and ran the line down the driver's A-pillar to the unit.
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
rdl1155 wrote:
jhilley - all the antennas they show for truck and RV's are for mirror mount but with the new mirrors those type are not an option. So, like you, I did order the Marine antenna similar to the one you show... I expect it will work well .... satellite doesn't know if you a boat or RV and it should be a nice smooth sleek installation.

The link shows the Marine Antenna

This works perfect on fiberglass roofs and doesn't require a ground plane.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
rdl1155.....If you can get into that area in the front cap as you stated, I would just mount the antenna there. They shoot through the roof just fine. I mounted mine on top of a piece of frame in the front cap and it has worked fine for 7 years. No need to go through the cap!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

rdl1155
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley - all the antennas they show for truck and RV's are for mirror mount but with the new mirrors those type are not an option. So, like you, I did order the Marine antenna similar to the one you show... I expect it will work well .... satellite doesn't know if you a boat or RV and it should be a nice smooth sleek installation.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I installed this Marine XM Antenna, it has a surface mount option that is totally weather proof. Works extremely well and easy to install.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We get along just fine by place the Sirius antenna flat on the dash. Very seldom have any loss of signal.

rdl1155
Explorer
Explorer
sailor lou - Thank you .... you are on the same page I believe ....
The new Pursuit has a boxed in area left to right at the ceiling along and below the coach front clearance lights between the windshield and the power bunk. this boxed area has screwed in trim panels. Once removed I hope it will expose all the wiring and underside mounting view of the running lights, radio antenna, etc... the side post (A-pillar)also has screws attaching the trim panel to the A-pillar. Then from underneath I can see where the wires come into the front wheel well area and back in under the dash.... sounds simple, right?
was hoping to know before I remove all the screws and the curtain track that is mounted to it that I was not heading into a dead end and have to fight to get it all lined up and back together again.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I can't give you specifics on the Coachmen Mirada/Pursuit, but did exactly what you are describing on the previous MOHO (97 Winne Vectra) and the current rig. In both cases I drilled a small hole in the roof large enough to pass the antenna's connector and then sealed the hole and "glued" the antenna to the fiberglass cap with silicon. It never moved or leaked. The cable was routed down the A-pillar with the other roof wiring under the dash. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

trutone
Explorer
Explorer
At one time, i siliconed (glued) a piece of steel to the roof, then had a place to put the magnetic xm antenna.

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed mine last week. Made a bracket that I riveted to the air horn bracket and removed the cb radio antenna and ran the wire behind it into the back of the upper cabinet. I then ran it behind the windshield pillar moulding and under the dash to my receiver. It was a PITA but it works well. I used dycor sealant on the roof to hold down the wire.
Steve 05 Panther

teddyu
Explorer
Explorer
added a magnetic mount INSIDE on the roof frame by going up the pillar containing the radio antenna. JM2¢...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I had an add on xm receiver, IIRC I bought a remote antenna that had a suction cup that held it on the windshield. worked fine inside the vehicle.
bumpy