Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on buying a 1999 HR Endeavor M-36WGS

gabriela
Explorer
Explorer
Hello RVers:

I am considering buying a 1999 HR Endeavor M-36WGS as a first-time rv-owner. This would be for recreational use mainly--two or three trips a year, travelling with either DH or a girl friend mainly in Mid-Atlantic area to local attractions. I did live in a 28' trailer at age 20 for 4 months with Mom and found it "fun". (Now I'm age 61.) I have driven a 16' Penske truck at length without event (moving my kids' furniture around).

So far, I've read good things about this 1999 HR Endeavor. It looks in very good condition in the photos, 27K miles, am planning to go see it soon. Also planning on attending this year's RV show Hershey Park in few weeks (staying in a hotel). I've been studying RV-life since May, reading off internet and watching quite a bit of RV you-tube.

Are people that own this rig happy with it? Thanks for sharing your advice and experience.

Sincerely, Gabriela
6 REPLIES 6

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I have been very happy with my 2000 HR Endeavor 36ft gasser purchased with 52k miles in 2010. We like the floor plan and the two slides.

Just returned from a 2100 mile trip this past Monday with no issues.

I replaced all 6 tires (had the 10 year old originals), added a slideout cover (missing when purchased), replaced the gas line from the main tank to the generator (cracked in several places, replaced it myself), replaced the rear sway bar bushings(worn out,also replaced by me), and had some rear leaf spring work done to level the coach (leaned heavy to the right). Not much else other that routine maintenance items like fluids and filters.

It is well built and runs good. It can take most steep grades at 45-50 mph fairly easily. Gets about 6-7 mpg depending on your speed.

Get service records if they have them and spend plenty of time looking inside closets and compartments for water damage. Mine has a 2 piece aluminum roof and I did not find any evidence of water leakage.

Let me know if you have any questions, I do most of my own maintenance have been through the coach pretty thoughly over the last 3 years.

Good luck.

Michael
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

gabriela
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for advice. Yes, I will have it checked out completely at an RV center before I buy it; the front tires are new. All tires are GYear. This is a Class A, I didn't know they had "sway bars". I also don't understand operation of air bags (some commenters were saying the air bags deflate in back after a day of driving). So, how does that work? I am going to have the seller turn on the gnerator, see what works with that, and how loud it is, and then turn on just the Onan battery, see what works with that, and how loud it is.

I am thinking at the Hershey RV show (attending in 2 weeks) I will pick up many ideas for vent covers. Here's a dilemma: there is one solar panel (not sure how many watts) already installed on top. Still, I want to cover this thing to keep it nice--I'd say from mid-October onward (I live in mountainous area 2000 ft elevation, it gets cold early). So how do I drape it and keep solar panel exposed? Don't think I can.

I will winterize it by 3rd week October until April due to predicted oncoming cold winter according to Farmer's Almanac.

Believe it or not--the old TVs don't bother me as all I watch is old TV VHS movies (Bette Davis, Debra Kerr, the old greats--Eliz Taylor, Robert Mitchum), so I really think this oldie Tv-bearing model works as long as the VHS works (not easy to find nowadays). i also have a lot of cassette tapes (which i recorded myself), so even that works.

I'm old fashioned. Gabriela

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's as nice as you say and you like the price, pull the trigger. The HR brand is well known for quality. I love my 99 HR endeavor.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum, you'll find answers to most of your questions here!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe you'll find that Monaco made a very solid and beautiful coach. As stated above, you'll want to upgrade the televisions to flat screens but that is a cheap and EASY upgrade. Check the tire date codes to ensure you'll not be needing tires immediately. Those will set you back 3-4k if needed. Have all the fluids changed and enjoy the coach...I had a 96 Dynasty that I put 120,000 trouble free miles on, and replaced it with another Monaco...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have just purchased that exact model as my very first motorhome and we LOVE it! Ours had 80K miles on it. There are a few things that need updating like the television and some of the upholstery, but mechanically it is in great shape. I did find that my rear sway bar bushings had deteriorated over the years and have just replaced them. Also, depending on the previous owners habits, you may have some difficulty with the generator if it wasn't routinely run. Other than those tidbits, everything about it seems to be a great coach.

Best of luck to you and happy travels!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------