cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Allison transmission

MrsLJesuslover
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a '98 Monoco Windsor. It was sitting for awhile. Wouldn't start. RV mechanic said alternator is bad. He got it running. Now it won't shift! The left light says 6, the right one says N and there's a repeating beep. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The start the generator suggestion will work IF, repeat IF your on-board converter, charger or inverter/charger is wired to charge the CHASSIS battery as well as the HOUSE battery.

All charge the house bank. Only some charge the chassis battery as well.

If yours does not, and you have a constant on boost switch (vs a momentary switch that you have to hold in to have it active) this will work if you use the boost switch.

But, my suggestion is to get the batteries fully charged, then check the alternator. If not working, get it repaired/replaced.

Getting stranded on the side of the road with a dead electrical system is no fun, particularly if you are not comfortable working with electrical systems.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
My alternator went out while I was traveling and the warning lights came on telling me I had low voltage. I stopped and the Allison wouldn't shift anymore. Like one poster posted I just started the generator with the coach batteries and it came to life. I continued on until I got home so I could change the alternator myself.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start your genarater and let it charge the batterys for about an houer and see if it will shift then.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

MrsLJesuslover
Explorer
Explorer
Oh thanks! I have had a battery problem recently. I think the alternator is out, I just didn't think there was a connection to the batteries. Very helpful.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Many things will cause the Allison not to shift...rpm to high, jacks down, parking brake on...call Allison, they can help.
2014 American Eagle

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Check your chassis battery voltage. Allison defaults to neutral at 11 volts and won't shift.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292