Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I out of my depth?

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All
I'm new to this site and the RV world. I've gotten a wealth of info here.
I've been looking into an RV for about 2 yrs. I came close to a minnie winnie class c last year owned by a close family friend. It was well maintained and was gone thru Totally. It had high miles and no genset & I thought $6800 for a friend was too much.
It sold & I kept looking.

Ok here's the deal. Found 1 I could afford bigger than I wanted but had it all.
1990 34' Winnebago Superchief on Ford Chassis. Seller wanted $3000 talked him down to $2000
Said if you drive it to my house and it makes it you got a deal.
The GOOD....
This was $72k new (have the sticker & all paperwork in binder)
Has 2 - Colman Mach 3 15,000btu A/C's working!
Basically all the options you could imagine minus any leveling kits. Tow pkg w/brake control, central Vac, remote spotlight. Air horns, full bath (not passthru) eve has a functioning washer & dryer in there. Also has onan emerald 3 genset with less than 700hrs. Runs 6500 watt. With 2 remote start locations. The Ford 460 had 65k and has the expected manifold leak but runs pretty good. Fridge is in crappy shape but is working. Not sure about furnace or HW heater as of yet

The bad. God it's ugly as could be. I'll make the inside look lovely but there is a great deal of delam! Not so much from roof but more from the seam along the entire side of coach. Think water wicked up the luan. Structurally it solid all around. The bumper corners are broken & or missing. Tires are crap. The kwikee stairs look as if they were torched/cut out? The fridge went was NOT there so some good water rot behind fridge. The big awning was coming away from coach so I removed. I can go on and on but what I wanted to know if I made a good call or did I get over my head here?! I can fix ANYTHING and the beast is looking better everyday
Anyone that could give my opinions, thoughts? I'll take it well
I just figured with that Genny and the tons of options figured it was a good deal
Thanks for reading all this LOL
Ryan
84 REPLIES 84

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Tinstar! LOL I just hate when u walk in it looks no bigger than a class C. May put a big mirror on that wall next to bathroom. I just realized getting in the shower just to check it out, looks like I'll have to crouch down a little to pull of showering. I did have my work boots on tho! But that can only account for about an inch or so. I'm only 6' guess I'll just make do. I really don't like the fact the shower door opens up with just enough room to squeeze in there. It hits the commode. Idk why. I don't think the crapper was raised? It seems would be more convinient to take that shiz out and put a curtain up instead. Idk plus that shower enclosure is GOLD trim. It's horrific!

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I took out my booth dinette and replaced it with a wall cabinet and fold out and sliding table. It made much more room. As far as a pass-through bathroom, I wouldn't have one of those where the commode sits in the hallway between the bedroom and kitchen. To me some things are meant to be kept private and seeing someone sitting on the throne while I'm on my way for coffee it not my idea of the way to start my day.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I know it is what it is and I'm not under any illusions that I'm gonna create a luxury diesel pusher with slide outs LOL. Although I did see a vid of a guy who fab'd a slide out on his older FW Bounder! VERY COOL. But even if I could get the parts and was able to weld, my layout would not support such an endevor. I'm just going to put a top hat on this pig & enjoy her.

I can only do so much but it's NOT going to to look like a $2000 rig come summer. I promise you that!

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of experience here, for me, I have been playing RV games over 25 yrs, and if younger would love to get into a project like yours, have Spent lots $$$ over the years, enjoying campers that most would turn up their nose at, not my problem. Today am enjoying a very fine Foretravel with the Cummins ISM500 with all the modern comfy toys & features. My suggestion would be continue with the experience and sooner or later things happen, you will move up a few notches. Relax & enjoy.. Also X Jarhead 59-63 E4
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Some quick thoughts:

1. Don't get so involved in the re-do that you forget to ENJOY the RV. This might make more sense in Spring!

2. Before you build a new altar for the TV, decide if you will actually use it. We have watched TV maybe four hours in 10 months in the RV. We removed the bedroom TV and built a bookshelf. I would remove the living room TV if it would not leave a big hole.

3. Decide if your ideal layout is plausible. If not, you might be ready to trade for a more suitable one, before you empty your wallet.

4. If you love the process and will like the result, don't get too concerned about the cost. Street rodders have been building cars and losing money on them for decades.

5. Consider Ikea as a source of furniture - small frame, contemporary look. Bolt it down unless you want it hitting the back of your head in an emergency.

6. A dog is a very important RV accessory!

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kind words and intrest. As this is my first RV things may move slowly because of weather (been raining for days) finances are tight and I may seem to know what I'm doing but I learn by doing. Been that way my whole life. With the internet as a valuable resourse it's made me more confident to tackle difficult projects. My father died young and was blind & he never was able to teach me much so as an older man now, I've had to figure things out sometimes the hard way.

The more I look at older coaches that are in great shape the more I'm disappointed in mine. I know it was a good deal but the layout bothers me and have been contemplating changing things up. For instance it's not a pass-through bathroom so it has a big wall at the edge of the galley. Makes it look much smaller inside than it really is! And the dinette is pathetic. It's a tiny "L" shaped unit that houses the converter underneath and has wasted storage space under it. Just not to practical. But a traditional "booth" make take too much room.

Also that table spins around and moves in and out to adjust but has no FIXED position. No locking mechanism to keep in place. Just spins freely.

I think I'm going to make a hide away TV stand or mount if room allows behind the couch/bed. The pittiful bathroom and bedroom need a complete overhaul. Not sure if I will construct new cornice's out of crown molding or try to utelize the existing window treatments. It's overwhelming what needs to be done to materialize my vision of the living space. Don't know if I've posted any bath or bedroom pics so this is the "ugly" I need to cure! LOL

My boxer Lucy likes it but she's not much help

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I will also follow your posts. Very interesting project. I would never do something like what you are doing, but it impresses me that there are some people out there that are so talented and can refurbish something like what you are doing.

I always have admired people that can bring like an old car to look like a brand new vehicle.

Keep us posted on your project. And good luck!
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested and like seeing the progress.

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Nice lookin Rig Chief! My project has sort of been on hold due to the cold here in New England. I've gotten the generator running like new and have do e quite a bit of painting. New sink I stalledi. Galley. Lately I've been under the dash with my new best friend (Test Light) trying to ID all the Micky Mouse wiring. It's a real drag! The biggest wow factor will be when I yank that carpet and put down some dark wood-like laminate. Redo windows with nice curtains and a tile backsplash for galley. May even give the exterior a white roller paint job. (Can't look any worse than it does now) as for the suggestions on roofing material. I don't know what I have. It seems to be a solid roll of extruded aluminum. Idk but will absolutely require attention! My wipes still don't work and now my blinkers are not either even tho I have power to the corresponding fuse. The stackable clothes dryer needs fixing and still have to find out why my converter charger is not keeping batt topped off. Bed room and bath still untouched. So much to do. I will keep updating those who are seriously interested in the project

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
USAF Crew Chief here.. Man I love the new paint. That looks great. I have a 1990 MH that is a never ending work in progress.

If you decide to recover that roof make sure that you know that it's EPDM or TPO. The stuff you wanna put on the two is very different. Don't take everything I say as gospel but, I have some experience with this. When I bought mine, used, the PO had recovered the roof with EPDM rubber. I thought everything was good. It came off in sheets. I recovered it and it just wouldn't stick and every six months I had little leaks to deal with. My original roof was TPO, that's why the EPDM wouldn't work.

If the roof is slick it's probably EPDM and you can cover it with liquid rubber. It's expensive, sort of. It come's in two parts and must be mixed. You can get a five gallon bucket from:

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquid-rubber.php

There's the regular white and the "RV" coating. I read that the regular and the RV were basically the same thing. I used the five gallon bucket. Get the roof cleaned off and go for it. It's messy but, once it's down it doesn't matter what the weather does. Even wet EPDM won't be affected by rain.

I have tried several things on my roof. The only product that has every worked and worked well is white Black Max from Lowe's or Home Depot. Since I started using that the motorhome's been dry as a bone, and it's cheap. I get up on the roof once a year with a one gallon bucket and cover any spots that look like they might need some attention. It's cheap and easy. TPO rubber has a rough texture and when it's cut it has a cloth backing like vinyl. It was a popular roofing material between the metal roof years and the EPDM rubber years. Eternabond will work on it but, I have found that if it get water under it the eternabond will fail eventually. People say it wont but, I'm here to say I have seen it happen. The Black Max works better than anything I have used..so far.

I think you'll be able to save that old motorhome. It's worth the effort as long as it's not too bad off.

This is my old rig. It's not new and shiny but, it's been good to us.

When we bought it it had old Chinese tires on it and we had one heck of a blow out on six lanes of interstate at rush hour. Seven American made (in Arkansas) tires later and we're in good shape (Yes, I realize that all Coopers are made in China now). Harbor Freight sells a heavy duty jack. If you have a spare on board it's a good idea to have a big heavy jack with you.

When I first retired we stayed in the RV at the beach for six weeks. I would have stayed longer but, my wife was getting home sick. We've been to the beach many times and will spend Christmas at the beach again this year. We done dog shows, the mountains, Pigeon Forge, etc.. I keep thinking that I wanna sell the motorhome and get a TT. But, when I do I remember that I tow my Harley Electraglide or the CRV behind the RV. And, that my wife has some health issues and the motorhome is a home even when we're rolling down the interstate. And that we have a generator so our options are wide. I fill up the CRV and pull it behind the motorhome. I usually don't have to buy any more gas for it for a week's trip or so. So, all things considered we do better on gas with the motorhome/CRV than we would pulling a TT and commuting/sightseeing with a big truck.

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Just think of it as an adventure....

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
That's really starting to take shape. On my old 5th wheel I said I "modernized", I had to take all the living room and kitchen flooring out and replace the joist. I put down a new floor, pad and carpet. REALLY made a big difference from the orange shag. hahahahaha. Yep, it really had orange shag and green cabinets. Needless to say, I redid the cabinets too.

You're doing good so keep us updated on your progress.

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so as promised took some pics tonight! Now a few cabinet doors are not in place & the handles & drawer pulls not ready for install. Still need to paint the wood between the couch and dinette. You will also see a little green painters tape around the fridge panels and entry door. I can't believe how much work it was just to get this far in the facelift. Forgive the poor lighting as I have dead batteries so just a few AC lights were on (have to see why batts not charging)

New faucet

MarineandAirfor
Explorer
Explorer

Much better LOL
My toad