cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

American Eagle, Country Coach, Newmar

piku
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice. We currently have a 1998 Winnebago Adventurer 32ft with no slides and are a family of 3 living in it. We've just recently completed a 2 month adventure across the country and back and have decided we kind of like living in a motorhome, trailer or something of the sort. We have some ideas about snowbirding. I've always been enamored with Wanderlodges but as time has passed I've come to realize I can't afford one, especially not one with a slide. Then I found out how heavy the steel coaches are and decided maybe it's not right for me.

Firstly, I don't hate our coach. The Adventurer is a good coach as far as gassers of the time period go, but we have delamination damage from leaks from previous owners and various fixtures and furnishings breaking constantly to the point of being annoying. All possible chassis issues, we've had from fuel pumps to broken head. I've kept up with everything but it's just getting a little tiring chasing the issues. Just yesterday the entry door handle broke in half. The thing I really can't handle anymore is the ride, the heat, the noise. I want a good ride and I hear the Spartan Mountain master chassis is smooth as glass because of the air suspension. I haven't driven one yet. Can someone comment on how it compares to an F53 chassis of the era?

My budget is around $70K. I'd like to find a coach that is around $75K and talk it down to $65K so I can get out for around $70K with tax. I am looking for a diesel pusher and garage kept/mint condition as well as quality and features are far more important to me than age or mileage. I've narrowed down my choices to Foretravel U320, American Eagle and Dream (1999-2002 range for these) and Newmar coaches.

Firstly, I think the American dream/eagle coaches look the best both exterior and interior. I'd love the light sand color sofas with a darker colored cabinet. I love the white exterior and light graphics. I saw a Foretravel U320 I loved but I really think I am stuck on wanting 2 slides. I like the idea of the pantograph doors and generator on a slide so I'd love to find an eagle but a dream works fine if it's right. I really like the overhead tv and console configuration of the 2001+ so I really think I have to stick with that. I've looked at the newmars and I really think the styling is all around god awful. I really don't know what people are thinking with green and purple furniture and other things I find configured. But still I feel like I should consider it. I don't prefer the looks of country coach (like the higher end looking Affinity model?) but it does look good enough that if it was substantially better I would hunt for that. Any comments? Any coaches I am missing?

Then I found out the 02 eagle has the 400HP ISL for around $15K more. Is the 400HP a screamer compared to the 350? Is it worthwhile to spend the money for it? I'm concerned with having enough power that I don't slow down to the point of being a danger to others. That is the case now. I don't have to beat on my rig now, but it gets slow and I am full throttle up any real grades. The general idea is to find something overpowered so it lives a low stress life and maybe will last longer.

I was wondering if people could comment on the delamination issues. One of the dreams I saw was delaminating between the rear slide on the driver side and the rear cap. The dealer claimed there were no leaks. It was a shame to walk away because the coach was priced right and ran great. Someone claimed the newmars can't delaminate but then I saw that the checking issue they have could turn structural. Does the checking issue date all the way back to 2001-2002 ish or is that a later problem?

Are the air conditioners on these models supposed to have filters at the opening? They do in our winnebago but didn't in the one we saw.

What issues should I look for? I know about the ball joints, I know to look for leaks. I know the fiberglass roofs of 2000+ are better, but what am I missing. I don't want to miss anything with this big of a purchase. How should I go about evaluating the engine and generator. Any issues to look for or any good prepurchase inspections that are nationwide that I could take the coach to?

We took a route which I thought was pretty gentle from Yellowstone to Rawlins, WY which inadvertently left us up a rather steep incline. I foolishly decided not to disconnect our toad and we took the incline at 15mph, slow enough that the torque converter even unlocked. No damage, fluid isn't burnt but I decided I had enough and I want a coach with some power.

I'm after 8mpg towing 5000 pounds and carrying about 2000 pounds of people and gear. Can I achieve this in one of these coaches at 60mph.. 65? 70? My impression that is that I will see 1100 miles out of a tank with the generator running at half load with the ISC 350. Is this the case?

On the dream we looked at the slide wouldn't go in the whole way. Is there an issue with the slides or powergear mechanisms on these?

The cruise control of my coach drives me nuts. On all the little dips when the speed drops a mph or two the cruise control promptly slams the throttle to the floor causing it to scream into 3rd gear unnecessarily. If it just gave 60% throttle or so and allowed some slowdown it would be less dramatic and the whole trip would be more relaxing. How does the cruise and gear selection with teh allison work? Do you find you can set cruise even towing and it deals with the smaller grades without any drama? I wouldn't mind a downshift but I don't want to go full throttle unnecessarily for fun. Save that for the real grades. Can I lock the allison into 5th or 6th or program the cruise control maximum throttle or things like that?

And speaking of grades what can you do on a standardish 6% grade? Mine will run in 3rd for a little but I end up in 2nd gear after a mile or two and down to around 30mph. Do the DP's tend to run like this as well? I would suspect not as I was passed by several going at least 55mph up the grade.

What about reliability? How many people actually get the bullyhooed diesel reliability? I hear so often about 90K mile and 110K mile rebuilds of cummins engines. Sounds like a travesty on a motor that expensive. We have 1400 hours on our gas generator. How many can you get on a diesel generator that is used often?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I just want to know what kind of wrinkles I will be getting into. Obviously I am used to a nightmare owning a 1998 gas coach. Will the nightmare continue or are these coaches pretty reliable and do the furnishings hold up under careful care?
Geeky Nomads! travelling in our 1999 Foretravel U320 4200
51 REPLIES 51

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1998 American Eagle my brother owns a vintage 1993 Eagle we have not had any problems with rust paint anything along those lines .. hell I haven't had problem with any major issue. I am happy with my coach and it runs like a dream. I did have an issue with the power step other than that changing light bulbs things like that all minor issues. The Eagle is a great coach. you really can't go wrong with one.
Tom

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
If you are serious about a Foretravel. you may want to check out what the factory has for sale. I'm sure they are checked more thoroughly, although they are pretty high priced. Of course, we favor Country Coach--that would be our choice. One of the reason we are not too keen on Foretravel is that it is difficult to find a used Foretravel with heated floors. With Country Coach, you can find coaches with heated floors at reasonable prices.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Something wrong with that Foretravel and the Country Coach. Run away as fast as you can away from them. Thousands of other brands out there to choose from, so take your time and make sure you get what you want, not what I say or Joe the expert.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

piku
Explorer
Explorer
Also the trans temp never climbed above 180 or so, chassis A/C was nonfunctional and I believe it wasn't charged as the compressor wouldn't spin. Also the battery voltage gauge was fluttering between 11 and 13 volts though I suspect the alternator was charging fine. Any hints or "I've had that" from foretravel owners?

piku
Explorer
Explorer
We actually started driving coaches. The foretravel had an insanely rough idle. Idle was set around 600rpm and the whole coach shook. Once you got on the gas the tiniest bit it was nearly silent up front. Highway driving was fine but it kept taking a long time to go from 2nd to 3rd gear. One time it seemed to take 2-3 seconds to change gears and the engine revved up in between the shift. Is this normal at all or is it time to run?

We saw a nice country coach allure with a pile of water under the microwave ๐Ÿ˜ž It's amazing that you can't find a coach that is problem free for this $$ bracket.

piku
Explorer
Explorer
I've done a lot more soul searching and have decided I wanted a rig with some kind of aqua hot, pantograph doors, a tag axle and a 400+HP engine. Therefore my basic choice is between The Foretravel U320 42', Country Coach Affinity or a Wanderlodge. I'm also going to explore Monaco and Tiffin as well before making my choice.

It's funny when I started this search I was thinking American Eagle/Dream because it felt like a good compromise between what I wanted at the time (slides, quality, cost) but now that I've done the research I really feel that buying the highest quality (or at least attempted quality) matters most. I really feel like Fleetwood dropped the ball on the American * coaches despite a good attempt. I read of corrosion and rust problems (to the point of parts of the underside of the coach rotting away), huge delamination problems and other bad things. Wanderlodge is probably it but I don't feel like the steel skin is worthwhile. I feel so far like the Foretravel is the best compromise in a motorhome. I am not doing long distance commercial bus runs so I'm not sure I really need what a Wanderlodge brings to the table, and I'm not certain I can afford it either. Worse none are for sale remotely near me so I can't even check it out.

I've seen a lot of people that when comparing them said go for the Wanderlodge though. There's none for sale right now and I've figured out the U320 for sale is pretty special and it might disappear and not be an option again for quite some time. I have to tell myself it's okay if it gets sold and not be an idiot. I have a perfectly serviceable coach ๐Ÿ˜‰

dcbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi piku, I'm sending you a PM. David

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Man look , u need to take look at what we have, 3slides, 29ft, really a nice unit, 09monaco, montclair. We love it, drives like a dream . Finaly got 18k on the clock. Wow and can make Wally World trips two. And now it's all happy-camping

CaptainJack51
Explorer
Explorer
Do not over look Tiffin, we have a 2004 Allegro Bus 40QDP with the ISL 400 Cummins and 6 speed Allison. Great coach, smooth ride and plenty of power for any where you may want to go. The Allegro Bus comes pretty well equiped, you may also want to look into the Phaeton as well.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar was the first to come out with a production slide in 1990. You stand a great chance of finding a Newmar with a slide in that period. Woth that much experience there should be a good chance of no problems.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
piku wrote:
I've seen all the deals at PPL, in Mesa, AZ, etc and I check rvtrader, craigslist and other sites often. Once I pick the model I want I think it'll be easy to find a clean properly priced example of the coach I am looking for. My issue in this thread is to attempt to figure out what I am up against with each model to help me pick the actual model. Where I am at (Bradenton, FL) seems to have no shortage of coaches to at least go look at even if they aren't perfectly right otherwise.

Agree you should be able to find something in Florida. I am sure you have checked Lazy Days.

IMO, with the list you have suggested (American Coach, Foretravel, Country Coach, Newmar) you should be able to satisfy your desire to find a solidly-built coach with good bones. The trick, as we learned, is to find one that was properly cared for. It was pretty amazing to see a number of high-end, expensive-when-new coaches that were just neglected by previous owners. We focused on one-owner coaches and refused to look at those with more than one owner. Even one-owner did not guarentee good care but it helped reduce wasted time.

This one looks nice and can likely be had for $75K or less in today's market. A long ways from you, however:

http://www.countrycoach.com/2013/08/2003-country-coach-intrigue-36/
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

piku
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen all the deals at PPL, in Mesa, AZ, etc and I check rvtrader, craigslist and other sites often. Once I pick the model I want I think it'll be easy to find a clean properly priced example of the coach I am looking for. My issue in this thread is to attempt to figure out what I am up against with each model to help me pick the actual model. Where I am at (Bradenton, FL) seems to have no shortage of coaches to at least go look at even if they aren't perfectly right otherwise.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked PPL Motorhomes in Texas? They do consignment sales and have a bunch of DP's. What you are looking for in the price range you have stated may take a bit of time but there are coaches out there.

We wanted to upgrade from a 36' two slide DP to something 42'- 43' with tag, nicer, 3 or 4 slides. We looked at Newmar Mountain Aire, Essex, and a few American Coaches. We landed on the CC Allure and it is certainly a solidly built coach. Most of the CC's have Aqua Hot but the radiant heat in the floor is a electric system, at least in our coach.

MotorHomes of Texas had a couple of CC's listed along with several Foretravels.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
If you find a Coach that has Aqua-Hot, Air leveling and and a Tag axle, the rest of the build will be right. Find the one with a floor plan your wife likes and one with a 350HP or above Cummins or Cat. Check the maintenance history and enjoy!
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need to look at a Country Coach. Most from the Allure on up have electric floor heat, and from 2008 on, a stacked washer and dryer were common.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima