cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Blowout!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
So........ brand new tire.... date code 22-14...... driving to Charleston, SC on I-95.... we start smelling hot rubber. We pull off the interstate and check the tires. Everything looks great. Get back on the highway and less than 5 miles down the road we blow the tire....the SAME one that blew and was replaced less than 2 months and less tha 500 miles ago.

This time it took down the engine tailpipe, the generator tailpipe, and a wiring bundle that I haven't even begun to figure out what it controls. A little body damage and a whole lot of personal grief and insecurity for the 350 mile trip home. PLUS....I'm losing a couple of days on my vacation to get the repairs done.

Goodyear G647. I checked the pressures before we left this morning. Everything properly aired up. No big load...just a weekend trip. The technician that replaced the tire roadside said the tire itself was faulty....the steel belts were rusted inside the tire and the sidewall easily peeled down like pulling your bottom lip. Obviously VERY frustrated...especially after paying over $1K to have one tire replaced! And this is the second one replaced in less than two months. WTH???!!!!!!! Goodyear has got some 'splainin to do!!!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
62 REPLIES 62

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
GSRoadsideAssistance wrote:
Thank you for your post, 10forty2. I regret any difficulties you experienced regarding your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership. I would like the opportunity to speak with you concerning your post. I would be more than happy to contact you…please send me a private message with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and contact information: telephone and e-mail. I am looking forward to speaking with you.
Thank you,
Frank
Good Sam Roadside Assistance

I have since spoken with a representative/supervisor and the gentleman was very nice to listen to my frustration. We worked out a solution with which I am satisfied. I wasn't after anything for free...don't get me wrong from that angle. I simply found the pricing VERY unrealistic compared to pricing I could find. Thank you for responding.

following my brother in law back from Charleston in april 2014 he blew a left rear inside...
coach-net brought an "H" rated 19.5 tire out way more tire than a "G" rated...his bill was $350.00
You guessed it....I am now a coach-net Member...AAA will not bring you any kind of tire...no experience with Good Sam

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
The entire thread separating in one piece....I had that on a car with Dunlap tires. The tire had a 40,000 mile rating...and a starting at 34,000 miles I had two blowouts and this one complete, one piece separation.
Almost like the tires had a "self-distruct" chip in them to start their thing kin the mid-30s.
Reported it (via the Dunlap dealer) to the mfr...who called me and issued me a check for like 30 bucks. Never admitting ANYTHING wrong with any of the 3 tires. Simply told me to check the PSI in the future.
Well, there will be no "future" for me and Dunlap.
And, BTW, my motorhome (2001) has had 3 sets of tires...all Goodyear 19.5 G670. One blowout outside El Paso. A nail. Not Goodyears' fault.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Don Don wrote:
If you blew the same tire you have other issues.

It was not the same tire...same wheel. Inner tire blew last time. Outer this time. Old tire last time. Brand new tire this time.

Wait... if they took an old tire and moved it from the outside position to the inside position (since your NEW tire blew on the outside), I would hope that they made sure that your tires DO NOT have a directional pattern. I know that mine do. There is an arrow on the tire near the rim to show which direction they should be rotating when going forward.

To mount a tire from the outside position to the inside requires flipping the rim around, so your tire which was rotating counter-clockwise when going forward is now rotating clockwise going forward, unless they unmounted and re-mounted that one too (which I doubt).
1999 Itasca Sunrise

mandmlikerving
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your blowout. Did you get a TST TPMS? Please feel free to call me with any questions I am here until midnight daily @ 770-889-9102

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ddndoug wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

Other than that, you almost have to blame it on a road hazard.

Not trying to be a jerk, but take a look at the tire in the picture again. That is a faulty tire.

Doug

OK and could be very wrong here, but then again, I can't be so sure that low air pressures, associated with extreme heat, couldn't cause such a condition.
I blew a GY 670RV this past summer on the tag for no apparent reason and from the looks of rip in the sidewall, most would swear it was due to a road hazard, but then again the duallies right in front of it had not even a mark on them, so.....
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Don Don wrote:

It was not the same tire...same wheel. Inner tire blew last time. Outer this time. Old tire last time. Brand new tire this time.

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk, but take a look at the tire in the picture again. That is a faulty tire.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a perfect example of why some of us, that have the room, carry an unmounted spare tire with us. It eliminates a lot of hassle and ERS has no problem changing our tires right on the side of the road.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
GSRoadsideAssistance wrote:
Thank you for your post, 10forty2. I regret any difficulties you experienced regarding your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership. I would like the opportunity to speak with you concerning your post. I would be more than happy to contact you…please send me a private message with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and contact information: telephone and e-mail. I am looking forward to speaking with you.
Thank you,
Frank

I have since spoken with a representative/supervisor and the gentleman was very nice to listen to my frustration. We worked out a solution with which I am satisfied. I wasn't after anything for free...don't get me wrong from that angle. I simply found the pricing VERY unrealistic compared to pricing I could find. Thank you for responding.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
So........ brand new tire.... date code 22-14...... driving to Charleston, SC on I-95.... we start smelling hot rubber. We pull off the interstate and check the tires. Everything looks great. Get back on the highway and less than 5 miles down the road we blow the tire....the SAME one that blew and was replaced less than 2 months and less tha 500 miles ago.

This time it took down the engine tailpipe, the generator tailpipe, and a wiring bundle that I haven't even begun to figure out what it controls. A little body damage and a whole lot of personal grief and insecurity for the 350 mile trip home. PLUS....I'm losing a couple of days on my vacation to get the repairs done.

Goodyear G647. I checked the pressures before we left this morning. Everything properly aired up. No big load...just a weekend trip. The technician that replaced the tire roadside said the tire itself was faulty....the steel belts were rusted inside the tire and the sidewall easily peeled down like pulling your bottom lip. Obviously VERY frustrated...especially after paying over $1K to have one tire replaced! And this is the second one replaced in less than two months. WTH???!!!!!!! Goodyear has got some 'splainin to do!!!!

First, $1000 for a tire replacement is insane and I'd be looking into COACH NET for new road hazard insurance.
As for the blowouts and the tires being properly filled with air, tell us how you determine the amount of air required for your tires.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

GSRoadsideAssis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you,
Frank

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
So....now I'm finding out that apparently we got royally taken to the cleaners on the tire replacement. We have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Called them....they hooked us up with Transit Pros who hooked us up with Travel Centers of America (T/A) who brought out a Bridgestone R250F to replace our tire. They said it was the only tire that size that they had in stock. It is noted on the invoice as retailing for $799.00. BUT... We were charged the "Good Sam Member Rate" of $689.00...saving us $110.00. WOOHOO! Except that I just found the Bridgestone R250F 245/70R19.5 online via Simple Tire for $389.00 and our local tire shop said they can get it and sell it to us without any discount for $499.00. So, other than the compromised situation we were in...what made it $300.00 more expensive from T/A? Now I'll be on the phone with Good Sam, Transit Pros and T/A. This just keeps getting better......

ssia2485
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
ssia2485 wrote:
I looked that tire up on their web site. There are 2 different load range tires in that type. Hopefully you had the heavier load range. Even that looks to be a fairly light duty tire for what you are doing with it. What is the weight on the rear axle. If it is much more than 60% of the tire rating you will have problems. That's why most of the bigger rigs went to 22.5 truck tires. Motor homes exert a lot of force on the rear tires due to the long overhang in the rear. You might want to look at a heavier duty tire.

Mine are the 245/70R19.5 G. The load range for them on Goodyear's web site is 4,410 in a dual configuration. Single max load is 4,540. The speed rating is listed at 75mph. So with that, at max cold inflation of 110psi, each rear dual wheel configuration should be capable of carrying a max load of 8,820lbs for a total of 17,640lbs on the rear axle.

Bridgestone lists comparable load ranges and Michelin is actually less load.

Ok You have the better tire. That's good. Now you should get the rig weighed. 60% of 17,640 is 10,600. If you are much heavier than that on the rear duals you will get very short life from your tires. Remember as your rig bounces down the road you can exert double the static weight placed on the tire. I would keep that tire inflated to the max pressure recommended.