cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another electrical question

lkbenson
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has 50a service. Sometimes I use a 30a cord using an adapter because it is longer or because I am lazy and like the lighter weight. When I use the 30a cord I also use my 50a to 30a pigtail and plug into the 50a outlet because it is usually used less and in better condition.
Can someone tell me if I have 50a to use in the trailer? I realize that the two legs are combined to supply both sides of my electrical panel and is not the same as using a 50a cord. I'm not looking to supply the trailer with 12,000 watts, just wondering if I have 3,600 watts or 6,000 watts.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW with B&W hitch
2013 Mountaineer 295RKD
4 REPLIES 4

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even though you plugged into a 50 amp outlet with a 30 amps adapter, your max supply is 50 amps, or 6,000 watts. (Amperage times voltage equals wattage.) That would cause your 30 amp cord to get hot, and that is not a good idea. The alternate solution is keep your usage down to 30 amps or lower.

Also remember that a 50 amp outlet is actually two 50 amps services, or 100 amps total. Your RV was wired to take advantage of the 100 amps of service, so it is a good idea to use a 50 amp cord whenever possible.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Not true the first adapter only gives you one phase and 30 amps even though you are using the 50 amp on the power pedestal. Does not make any difference what you down stream from the power pedestal. Being lazy always cost you power.

MotorPro wrote:
You have 6000 watts going through a cord thats only good for 3600 watts.not a great idea.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

lkbenson
Explorer
Explorer
I did think of that after posting. Thank you. I will have to use the heavy cord if I'm going to run the ac along with the other power hungry essentials.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW with B&W hitch
2013 Mountaineer 295RKD

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
You have 6000 watts going through a cord thats only good for 3600 watts.not a great idea.