cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti freeze in water heater

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
When the tech winterized our MH, the anti freeze went through the water heater ( check valve failed).
Is it OK to wait until we dewinterize in the spring to flush out the water heater? (our MH is in storage).
Thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
23 REPLIES 23

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Aluminum is porous and can trap chemicals with in them.
I do not know much of the anti-freeze "leaked" into the tank. It would not take much effort to remove the drain plug and remove what ever amount is in there. I would even suggest using some thing like a turkey baster to squirt some fresh water into drain hole.
Some people do believe the RV anti-freeze is completely toxic free. I do not!
I do not put anti-freeze into the fresh water system. I blow out the lines. I put the RV anti-freeze in the drains and toilet only.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
UH OH thanks
why not?
it will only be a tiny bit
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not leave anti-freeze in the aluminum tank of the Atwood water heater if that is what you have.
Different if it is a glass lined Suburban water heater.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
I assume they did!
It was a part from winnebago and I hope they put it in the right way round the first time!
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Did you replace the check valve?

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks very much
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
As drewE said, as long as it's just antifreeze. If it's a mixture of water and anti freeze it becomes a question of what is the mixture strength. If in doubt drain it out and properly winterize it.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
No problem, assuming it's just antifreeze and not filled with water and a touch of antifreeze. The main reason to bypass the water heater is to avoid having to buy and pump in six extra gallons of antifreeze; it's not harmful to the plumbing system, including the water heater.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman