cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Experience with these Brands/Makes?

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
We have narrowed it down to these new Gasser models and hopefully will be able to see these in person either at the Kansas City or St Louis Shows this month.

Fleetwood Bounder & Southwind
Tiffin Allegro
Newmar Bay Star
Winnebego Sightseer & Vista
Forest River Georgetown XL
Thor Challenger
Holiday Rambler Vacationer

We would like to hear your real world experience and insight for each of these models. On paper, they have similar chassis (22K or more) and 22.5" tires. Any likes or dislikes for your particular model, build quality and how is the company themselves?

Thanks.

John
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold
22 REPLIES 22

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 2 Winnebago's. One gas and one diesel. They both were trouble free and build well. I have a Newmar now and so far it's great. A good friend has a Tiffin 36LA and loves it. Don't have any experience with the others on your list.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Each builder has historical strengths and weaknesses while lately some appear to be encountering qualify control issues that is tarnishing a hard earned reputation.

Opinions are going to vary widely and brand loyalty and dislike can be a bit strong with current and past owners. There are not a lot of supply sources for the major, and some of the minor, appliances so it really comes down to the cabinetry work along with overall fit and trim. What will really gum up the works is what might be acceptable concerning construction quality for one owner is a down check for another. As posting come in take each with a few grains of salt and there are lemon rigs out there that I suspect a few owners have consider parking in certain parts of town with the keys in the ignition.

Myself, I own what can be discribed as an entry grade Thor product. Not very flashy and pretty basic overall. Four years and 30,000 miles later still going strong. A few problems but nothing that brought us home early or had the coach in a repair shop. Next rig has been narrowed down to a Tiffin Phaeton but that is just my preference.

Now if you really want to have fun consider a couple of trips, if you can afford the time and travel, and head to the factories. Most are in northern Indiana around the Elkhart area. Tiffin is down in the north west corner of Alabama while Winnebago is in central Iowa. A factory tour will really open your eyes to what's really behind the curtains.

X2 - well said Dale. Folks are very passionate about their brands and can be downright hateful of others. Each brand has their issues. Heck, just learning now that the roofs can come off Winnies. Overall there is a hierarchy based on quality, but they all have their hits and misses. At the end of the day it's usually like anything else, you get what you pay for.
2013 ACE 29.2

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each builder has historical strengths and weaknesses while lately some appear to be encountering qualify control issues that is tarnishing a hard earned reputation.

Opinions are going to vary widely and brand loyalty and dislike can be a bit strong with current and past owners. There are not a lot of supply sources for the major, and some of the minor, appliances so it really comes down to the cabinetry work along with overall fit and trim. What will really gum up the works is what might be acceptable concerning construction quality for one owner is a down check for another. As posting come in take each with a few grains of salt and there are lemon rigs out there that I suspect a few owners have consider parking in certain parts of town with the keys in the ignition.

Myself, I own what can be discribed as an entry grade Thor product. Not very flashy and pretty basic overall. Four years and 30,000 miles later still going strong. A few problems but nothing that brought us home early or had the coach in a repair shop. Next rig has been narrowed down to a Tiffin Phaeton but that is just my preference.

Now if you really want to have fun consider a couple of trips, if you can afford the time and travel, and head to the factories. Most are in northern Indiana around the Elkhart area. Tiffin is down in the north west corner of Alabama while Winnebago is in central Iowa. A factory tour will really open your eyes to what's really behind the curtains.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Stick to Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago. Good luck!

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
This is about every manufacturer can you narrow your list down to 2-3

I am sure we will after we go to the shows. It isn't about every one, but it is close ๐Ÿ˜„
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
This is about every manufacturer can you narrow your list down to 2-3
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
had a winnebago--was very happy with it, but it was a C. decided we needed more room when we went full-time. the A we chose was a poor one--FR. after the interior quality of the winnie, this thing is a major let down. :R
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
WE have had 2 FW MH's. We were not very happy with them.
Allegro we had one. Back in 87. Was a very nice MH.
Now 2 Winnebago's. Again. Very happy with them.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+