cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

Count_D_Money
Explorer
Explorer
No.

chuckster11
Explorer
Explorer
What a great question! Heck yes--I made so many mistakes in my enthusiasm to buy my unit at what I thought was a great price, I overlooked several serious flaws in the coach. Those flaws have come back to haunt me in the two years I have owned the unit.
Best advice, shop more and shop, as much as you can, for a well maintained and "healthy" RV. Overlooking obvious flaws is not worth the few thousand dollars you might save.

BLUE_MARBLE
Explorer
Explorer
Hardworking and fortunate life so more $ than brains. First RV out of the box was 40'DP. Big mistake...way too big. Second mistake was to be blinded by "glitz" and bought Gulfstream. Shoddy construction, body was junk and abscence of customer support literally a joke. Third mistake was to buy our coach through the Jesse James Gang down at PPL in Houston...but that is another story when I finally calm down.
"we are not stopping 'til they come to take us away!"
all 4 kids grown, healthy and ...gone

Paw_Paw
Explorer
Explorer
My mistake was buying one PERIOD. I've had 2 MH's and I wish I had never traded my Pickup and 5er!! My DW is the reason I have a class A MH. Of course, she doesn't drive the piece of junk.

jimaryw
Explorer
Explorer
We have been very happy with ours, but wish I hade more CCC.

knotdodger
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...not buying sooner. We went the used route. Our motor home was about 2 years old and low mileage. The original owner had all the "bugs" worked out and we just enjoy it.
Larry & Cindy
Safari Cheetah 38PDQ.
Towing a Jeep Wrangler.

cobra350
Explorer
Explorer
I first thought I made a huge mistake but thanks to this forum's help I got everything taken care of and Love our motorhome now. Will probably upgrade to a diesel when we are ready to fulltime but for now we are content.
Rick & Darlene Carson
16 Berkshire XLT 43A
15 Ford Explorer (the toad)
14 Shelby GT500
02 Ford Ranger
08 Honda Goldwing

oldcurios
Explorer
Explorer
We read and researched for several years before we bought a 10-yr old 29 foot Allegro Bay Class C. I absolutely loved it - it was great for what we needed but DH thought it was a bit tight on space for us and the two dogs. Unfortunately the refrigerator burned it to the ground after two years. (The insurance company just about made us whole on the unit so we were not out but a few hundred dollars). We looked for about a year at class A's. We wanted an older coach (an interim unit) and preferred Tiffin or Newmar or BlueBird. We went out of state to look at a BlueBird Bus (full of rust) and the consignment shop had an older Safari Ivory DP in just about perfect shape that came with most of the upgrades. It wasn't on our short list, but we fell in love with it and brought it home. So far so good!!!

Korea79
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, however, for the past 2 plus years I have enjoyed reading the many discussions and the magnitude of knowledge displayed as a whole on this forum is amazing! Anyway my answer to your question is: DW and I started our search for that perfect motorcoach June 2004. January 2009 in our opinion, we accomplised that mission. We purchased our Fleetwood Southwind 37C (2008)from Campingworld. The Southwind has tons of space inside the Coach and in the basement as well. A few of its amenities are: Automatic awning, washer and dryer, 4 HDTV's - (3) in-coach and (1) in our exterior entertainment center, all inclusive bath, sofa with footrest and sleep number bed. To date we have been very pleased with our first purchase. Oh, we also purchased Campingworld's extended warranty program.

Enjoy the USA!

69RoadRunner
Explorer
Explorer
A little buyer's remorse that I didn't get the All Star with bunks instead of the Ventana.
09 Newmar Ventana 3942
Bunkbeds for the munchkins

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Only one mistake that I can see is that a lot of us didn't see that far ahead that Monaco would be claiming chapter 11. If a person wants to trade in or sell his/her coach it has lost a lot of its value.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of posts here....

Before we bought our motorhome I read just about every forum and magazine I could (over a 7 yr period)...when the time came to purchase, one thing that stuck in my mind. BUY YOUR THIRD MOTORHOME FIRST!

I took that to heart and we special ordered our coach from the factory. We got it exactly the way we wanted with the right equipment for us (4 slides, tile floors, king bed, dishwasher, washer and dryer, legless dinette, auto sun shades, sofa with 2 recliner combination, outdoor TV, etc.).

For almost two years, we're pleased as punch with our new coach and have no intention of selling as I really have no 'wants' or 'needs'. So, making the right decision first has probably saved us a pile of dough.

Happy Camping,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

decan9
Explorer
Explorer
Is trolling legal in this forum?
Bonnie and me and Casey makes three!
Staying warm in Southern California
FMCA #402157
W9NCR

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Can you say P30
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

marknpat
Explorer
Explorer
richmondmj wrote:
Well I did a lot of research and rented first. We looked at several units and then joined RVCG before we bought anything. I'm glad we did that before buying anything and always recommend to others to do the same before they purchase anything. The info they give you helps you make the right decision the first time around. It's more than worth the price of membership.
http://www.rv.org

We posted previously that we'd had several RV's over the years, each to meet the needs of our family. When ready to sell our PUP we researched small TT thinking this would work for just the 2 of us. Made 2 trips with the new 19' TT and then traded it in for our Class C. Was buying the small TT a mistake - Yes! We'd been looking at Class C's for several years, and fear of the big financial commitment clouded our judgement so we went with the small TT. Couldn't be happier now. We, too, joined RVCG, and do agree that the info was worth the price of the membership and helped us with our decision.
Mark and Pat
09 Itasca Cambria 28B
08 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (TOAD)
06 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 5.7 Hemi
"Fun is standard, Pavement is optional" JEEP