cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Approx Maint Costs For Used 28' Class C After Purchase?

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Been thinking about buying used rental class C unit, possibly Four Winds Majestic 28A (thanks to input from gotsmart, Iamichabod and a few others on this forum) but am wondering what to expect for how much approximate costs would run for the following work to be done after the sale, I have no experience with this, but am I looking at $$$ or $ or what? (Now I know it can vary quite a bit but just trying to get ballpark idea). I guess its more piece of mind

Here's the list (stolen from another suggestion elsewhere but I cant find the link now):

1: Having the black/grey/fresh tanks professionally cleaned.

2: Drop the generator, have it checked out the right way by the Onan people, and to prevent headaches, slap a new carb onto it just to be safe. Plus, during this stage, I can get an EnergyCommand system installed which gives the ability for the genset to auto-start if the batteries get low.

3: Change the spark plugs and coils. Ford V-10s are reliable, and this is a relatively small thing, but good to have done.

4: New tires. (I thought they sold these units with new or fairly fresh rubber?)

5: Furnace and ducts cleaned out if possible.

6: Fluids flushed and changed (oil, ATF, etc.)

7: Change out batteries, perhaps add another in parallel if there is room to the house set. Some class Cs have a drawer that can fit two... but just have a single present.

8: Change out cooling hoses and clamps

Does the above sound reasonable and any idea on about how much this may run for 28` class C?

As always any input is appreciated...
27 REPLIES 27

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Pops wrote:
I like the way D.E.Bishop thinks

Me too Pops.... Mr Bishop is a wise man

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
I like the way D.E.Bishop thinks
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries will be another post the day I get the RV... want to do some solar to it and add some additional house batteries... but thats another post

Good ideas on testing the fumes and CO monoxides and all. I will replace the CO detecter I know that.

A lot of good sound advice... Thanks Everyone!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
tenbear wrote:
Two 6v batteries are wired in series, 12v batteries are wired in parallel.

DANG! I knew I should have double checked myself on that - I always get them backwards... :S
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
On batteries, I wouldn't buy right away. First figure out if the one(s) already installed is sufficient for your needs. If so, then you saved yourself money on what you didn't even need. If not, then figure out WHAT you need and then select what to get (2 - 6v in parallel; 1 - 12 v; 2 - 12v in series; AGM, etc.).

Two 6v batteries are wired in series, 12v batteries are wired in parallel.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here would be my list of "immediate" things to do upon purchase (of any used rig regardless of seller):

1. Replace old tires ($1100 or so)
2. Have a mechanic do a basic check on the vehicle. Mine cost about $100. He checked brakes (including emergency brake), spark plugs, belts, lights, fluids, etc. - all the standard items. Replaced/repaired as needed (he deducted the $100 from repair costs).
3. Check the propane system for leaks, faulty regulator, etc. Not expensive to do and can save a life. I think I paid about $50 to find out I had a leak in the furnace and my regulator was bad (I had him shut off the connection to the furnace as I don't use it and replaced the regulator).
4. Depending on the age of RV, check the fuel lines for leaks. I had a full smoke test done - had a leak we couldn't find - maybe $100 or so if I remember correctly. All my fuel lines were leaking through miniscule holes (not visible without the smoke) and we replaced all 15 feet of hoses.
5. Check generator for proper functioning and leaks. I wouldn't spend money replacing parts unless there was a problem with them, but making sure it works and isn't spewing gas fumes into the house is money well spent in my mind.

Do those up front and you can prevent real problems.

You can sanitize a fresh water tank yourself (tons of posts on that). As others mentioned, the black and grey tanks don't need to be professionally cleaned just because someone else used them (did you have your sewer lines professionally cleaned when you moved into your home?)
On batteries, I wouldn't buy right away. First figure out if the one(s) already installed is sufficient for your needs. If so, then you saved yourself money on what you didn't even need. If not, then figure out WHAT you need and then select what to get (2 - 6v in parallel; 1 - 12 v; 2 - 12v in series; AGM, etc.).

I would also try the appliances, dump valves, etc. myself before taking off on a trip. Easier to deal with a problem BEFORE you're out on the road.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop great post.... keep on Rv'ing. I hope to see you out there.

Most of the worried advisement is coming from people who do not actually own a previous rental unit. All the folks who have reportedly bought a unit from rental company really do not report much of any problems. I really cannot find any reports on the web from someone who purchased a rental unit and had signficant issues except for one and it was fixed by the rental company

But as always, caveat emptor!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

As for foreigners, I haven't seen that. We meet a lot of them and they seem pretty concerned and careful. If you go to Europe, you will hear the same thing about Americans.

my friend in Italy was planning on a trip to our SW and renting a motorhome. he was practically salivating when he heard V-10 mentioned. I pointed out that our "autostrada" had speed limits, unlike his.
I'd be curious at NASCAR, etc., races when you see a bunch of people in plastic chairs on the roof whether those are rentals or if people actually abuse their own RVs that way.
bumpy

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This topic comes up every so often and all the naysayers and anti-used RVers come up with this "Renters abuse the vehicles" thing. I think most of them are very cautious about the rigs they rent. We have rented twice, both times in AK and there is a clause there that covers hidden damage. I think maybe that is not need very often.

One thing that was noted in this thread is speed, first off, read all the posts about how fast folks drive their own rigs. Seventy is not an unusual speed to be quoted.

As for foreigners, I haven't seen that. We meet a lot of them and they seem pretty concerned and careful. If you go to Europe, you will hear the same thing about Americans.

A lot is said about not buying a rig from someone that didn't keep complete maintenance and repair records, yet most folks don't but the rental companies do. Some of them give them to you before you buy a rig from them. How many private sellers would do that.

I'm looking at rentals as possible replacement for our 25 year old rig with over 70K miles on it. I'm pretty careful about maintenance and all that but almost all my problems with the house structure has been cause by poor QA. In order to avoid the UV damage to our rig it would have required garaging and replacing all the mild steel screws used in building it with monel or SS and replacing all the caulking from day one.

A lot of folks feel that you should open up your heater and put a couple of drops of oil on the motor bearings every year, I question the effectiveness of that. It has been studied and studied and it isn't as effective as just leaving the alone and using it more often. Exercising motors is a good idea, just like tires and A/C systems.

I just think that with all the units rented and then sold, that if they were junk by the time they were wholesaled off, that we would hear about it on these forums.

I'm seventh-four and like my Bounder, things are wearing out and being replaced. The maintenance has been good but my body has been used and it seems from historical data that I am suffering from planned obsolescence. I am tired of replacing all the stuff that breaks or wears out on our rig and a good used rig seems to me to be a better choice than trying to keep up with all the additional maintenance a 25 year old rig needs. I won't give up RVing yet and a brand new rig is financially possible but with only maybe ten years left in my life and four or five where I'll be driving a 15K pound beast around, it doesn't seem like a good investment. I'll take more trips with the difference in costs applied to fuel and campgrounds rather than to enriching some financial institution.

Like a lot of things, it boils down to my point of view vs your point of view.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Skid row that is rather obvious but since I do not own an RV so not sure of the associated costs and what to be wary or prudent about hence this post.

Money doesn't solve everything but it sure helps... and I can use some help!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
BoxinTheCompass wrote:
Been thinking about buying used rental class C unit, possibly Four Winds Majestic 28A (thanks to input from gotsmart, Iamichabod and a few others on this forum) but am wondering what to expect for how much approximate costs would run for the following work to be done after the sale, I have no experience with this, but am I looking at $$$ or $ or what? (Now I know it can vary quite a bit but just trying to get ballpark idea). I guess its more piece of mind

Here's the list (stolen from another suggestion elsewhere but I cant find the link now):

1: Having the black/grey/fresh tanks professionally cleaned.

2: Drop the generator, have it checked out the right way by the Onan people, and to prevent headaches, slap a new carb onto it just to be safe. Plus, during this stage, I can get an EnergyCommand system installed which gives the ability for the genset to auto-start if the batteries get low.

3: Change the spark plugs and coils. Ford V-10s are reliable, and this is a relatively small thing, but good to have done.

4: New tires. (I thought they sold these units with new or fairly fresh rubber?)

5: Furnace and ducts cleaned out if possible.

6: Fluids flushed and changed (oil, ATF, etc.)

7: Change out batteries, perhaps add another in parallel if there is room to the house set. Some class Cs have a drawer that can fit two... but just have a single present.

8: Change out cooling hoses and clamps

Does the above sound reasonable and any idea on about how much this may run for 28` class C?

As always any input is appreciated...

Depends. You're not setting forth any parameters whatsoever, so, it depends? You can spend $, or $$, $$$, or even $$$$$$ on an RV every year. How much $$$$ are you paying for it? Then figure on how much $$$ you can afford to spend on it each year.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I see is that rental units are almost always rented by people that have never driven a MH before. Or know how to properly operate everything in it. Or care.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I would do normal car things like oil and air filter. Path1 already mentioned addressing model specific maintenance interval items like belts, other fluids (tranny, differential, brake, power steering, coolant)and any other vehicle wear items.

Then I would go through the following laundry list.

Load test batteries and replace if necessary
Change out tires more than 7 years old
Pressure test the coach and address ALL LEAKS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

The real killer of any class C is leaking at the roof or the windows. If you stay on top of that, everything else seems to wear quite well.

Jose

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two ways to look at buying a former rental. Yes they probably get more maintenance than the average C but... they get waaay more abuse/use/miles. Do these two even out? Maybe.

Every time I see a rental C on the interstate they are blasting by me doing 75 or 80, every time! Were the V-10's not such a reliable, basically bullet proof motor a lot more of them would have turned to dust by now. The folks that heap that kind of abuse on the rental's engine surely treat the other systems as badly.

Count the number of large bodies atop the rentals at any Nascar event keeping in mind that most of them are not rated for more than one person on the roof, ever. AC, generators, plumbing and electrical systems tend to hold up well when properly operated often but abuse will surely shorten their working lives.

There are a lot of happy former rental C owners out there but given the number of quality privately owned C's that are available for not much more money I would not buy a rental. Lots of good advice above and more than a little misdemeanor thread drift on my part but something to think about. Good luck!

As always.... opinions and YMMV.

:C