cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

aquahot zones

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Safari Panther with Aquahot. I recently purchased the motorhome and tried the aquahot and found that zone 2 just blows cold air while the other zones blow nice warm air. I assume the circulation pump isn't working for that zone. Has anyone had a problem like this and what was the solution?
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

prism
Explorer
Explorer
the point is you can have basement heat only even though the pump is shared by either zone 1 or 2 as long as AH is on via 120V or diesel
the basement heat on a AH system has its own Manual thermostat, Radiant heater,s and fans.So yes it kinda has a zone but the pump is shared

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why... But when the circulating pump is working it will be pushing hot water through all of the little radiators feed by the individual zone controls if one of the zones is not asking for heat the little fans will not operate
In terms of logic and just speculating is that if the temperature is cold enough to warrant running the hydrohot for the house then two factors could be considered... One, the basement if it has a zone is intended to be heated and if heat is required and two heating the basement will assist keeping the upstairs heated.

I have only seen the front zone coupled to the basement. Generally the front zone is more of a challenge to heat...

I will tell you the first time I came across this it took a while to figure out what the deal was.

Johnny
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny T,

Exceedingly many apologies. No intent to offend.

After re-reading my opening sentence, I agree with you and regret my error.

Wiring thermostats in series certainly can be done but why?

Trainer
1995 Foretravel U320 40'
Cummins M11 400HP Allison 4060R

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trainer wrote:
Johnny T,

Sorry but not true.

Either zone control thermostat will control the shared pump independent of the other thermostats status. If yours requires both thermostats to call for heat, you have a problem that can be fixed or your manufacturer has done an incorrect install of your thermostats. Placing thermostats in series is not the way to do things.

I do agree that if the fan coil is blowing cool air and the circulating pump is not turning, then there is a electrical connection or the pump itself issue.

Trainer

Trainer, you might want to modify your opening sentence... Unless you are calling me a liar... Never said it was the right way... Mine is not that way.. But I have seen three that were wired that way. Just because some thing is not correct or your version of correct does not make it untrue.
M&G Brake & Break Away

prism
Explorer
Explorer
Trainer wrote:
Johnny T,

Sorry but not true.

Either zone control thermostat will control the shared pump independent of the other thermostats status. If yours requires both thermostats to call for heat, you have a problem that can be fixed or your manufacturer has done an incorrect install of your thermostats. Placing thermostats in series is not the way to do things.

I do agree that if the fan coil is blowing cool air and the circulating pump is not turning, then there is a electrical connection or the pump itself issue.

Trainer

Yes that is true and it works that way because otherwise every time u just wanted basement heat one would have to have upstairs heat on one zone or the other.Basement heat is a manual controll switch in basement of coach + usually can only go up to 50 degrees

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny T,

Sorry but not true.

Trainer
1995 Foretravel U320 40'

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another potential problem is the zone circulation pumps... If they are spinning and you are not getting heat then whacking the zone valves ought to help. If they are not spinning then I would be checking the connectors...

One other odd problem I have come across.. On the smaller hydrohot units they will generally only have 2 zones( two outputs) but will have three zone controls as in one in the basement and two in the house itself... I have seen a couple instances where the basement zone and one of the house zones controls are in series.. Meaning both have to be on for the circulation pump feeding those two zones to operate.

JohnnyT
M&G Brake & Break Away

prism
Explorer
Explorer
Trainer is right.U have a stuck brass check valve.Turn on zone and tap with hammer and like DougD says run your system 3 times or so per season when sitting
inactive

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We also had an Aquahot thet needed the check valve to be whacked periodically.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
PusherPilot,

Contact Roger Berke, the owner of the Aqua Hot Forum at www.Forum.RVHYD.com

Roger sells new parts at a modest discount and no shipping and no tax. Plus he has used parts at significant discounts that he has test run on his bench so he knows they are serviceable.

If you do this soon, it could be shipped today.

Trainer
1995 Foretravel U320 40'

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Trainer wrote:
Go to the Aqua Hot heater and open the cover. Each circulation pump has a brass check valve.

The zone that is blowing cool air will have a not very hot pipe coming out of the heater while the zone that is blowing really warm air will have a very hot pipe coming out of the heater.

Using a wrench or mallet, rap the brass check valve below the cooler pipe and feel the pipe to see it it warms up. Bet it will.

If that does not work, post back and we will try something else.

Trainer

To prevent any of the check valves from sticking, operate the Heat system 3 or 4 times a year. Doug

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
On our 04 Imperial the zone 2 (potty room) pump is also the "stir" pump which circulates the hot water in the tank to keep it uniform in temp. It will run without the fan in zone 2 running. The problem you have is probably a stuck check valve as trainer explained. You should remove the cover and, with zone 2 heat selected and the fan blowing air, check to see if the pump is running.
On mine the zone 3 (bedroom) pump has failed and I am trying to find a replacement for less than the $400+ the mfgr wants for one.
Ron

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
I will try that, I will let you know.
Thanks

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Aqua Hot heater and open the cover. Each circulation pump has a brass check valve.

The zone that is blowing cool air will have a not very hot pipe coming out of the heater while the zone that is blowing really warm air will have a very hot pipe coming out of the heater.

Using a wrench or mallet, rap the brass check valve below the cooler pipe and feel the pipe to see it it warms up. Bet it will.

If that does not work, post back and we will try something else.

Trainer
1995 Foretravel U320 40'