cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are slideout lock bars important?

neoflyer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. Each of the front slideouts has an adjustable bar to be placed between the wall and one corner of the slideout trim so the slide won't move to the out position while underway. Is the bar really necessary? My fear is forgetting to remove it and hitting the slide extension switch then hearing a loud crack as the upper corner of the slide is destroyed.
33 REPLIES 33

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
Your Fear is you will forget to remove it (Been there, Done that, No major damage, Have had to replace the odd shear pin)

My Fear is that the slide will extend when I make a right turn (Why I insert lock bar)

When Parked, as I am now, I store the lock bar inside the steering wheel (It stands up on the floor) makes it very hard to forget cause it is in the way of driving,, I also have a "STOP" sign for the antenna (Used to be called an Antenna Saver, I think they are back to making them now). It clips on either the wheel, or the ignition key.

Slide rooms cannot just roll out in a turn or such. A malfunctioning room may extend a few inches, but that is about the full extend they will go. IF YOU CANNOT PUSH IT OUT FROM THE INSIDE, THEN IT WILL NOT ROLL OUT OR EXTEND TOO MUCH WHILE TRAVELING TO CAUSE A HAZARD. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bsinmich wrote:
My MH has a little women that reminds me to check slide locks and chairs for clearance with a 5 sec. delay. I would like to meet her some time.

Yes, but the problem is--like a nagging woman, Newmar owners tune her out and do not release the manual locks and then have bent lock arms and a slide out of alignment. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your Fear is you will forget to remove it (Been there, Done that, No major damage, Have had to replace the odd shear pin)

My Fear is that the slide will extend when I make a right turn (Why I insert lock bar)

When Parked, as I am now, I store the lock bar inside the steering wheel (It stands up on the floor) makes it very hard to forget cause it is in the way of driving,, I also have a "STOP" sign for the antenna (Used to be called an Antenna Saver, I think they are back to making them now). It clips on either the wheel, or the ignition key.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
I had several problems with one of my slides (hydraulic) where one of the gears in the room mechanism kept breaking teeth and the slide wouldn't work. After several 'fixes' by local dealers, I went back to the factory and they had a manufacturers rep come and fix it. It had been fine but while traveling with my family my son and his wife were seated at the dinette and said they saw the slides flexing in and out at the top as we traveled. I started using the slide locks after that because I didn't want to put more stress on the slide mechanism and possibly have it fail again. JMHO.
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the coach and type of slide motors. Some have built in locks, some don't. If it makes you feel better and you have them, why not? If you don't have them and the slide has never wandered out then I doubt you need it.
2013 ACE 29.2

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Never bothered with ours and they haven't ever shown signs of coming open.

But, I wouldn't worry too much about damage if you forget to remove them. There should be a limit switch or breaker that will stop the slide out motor if it meets too much resistance.

I know because we had the breaker going bad and if you gently pushed, the slide would go in and out but otherwise the strain was too much and the breaker would trip. With a new breaker, it can still trip but takes a more force (but I don't think it would be enough to damage anything)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RonaldNC
Explorer
Explorer
My manual indicates that they are to be used if there is a problem with the hydraulic systems... that's why they supply them. In fact, Monaco only supplied one bar... even though I have four slides. I understand that other brands/models may differ.

I had to use them once and you need to be careful where you attach the bar to your slide. Unfortunately, when I had a blown seal on my ram, I used the bar and attached it to the inside edge of the slide... and it ripped the trim off the slide! Mine has a small metal ridge on the side of the slide (very strong) where the bar is supposed to be attached... lesson learned!

Ron
Ron Clanton
2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ
KE7NJ

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The MFG. supplied them

That is reason enough to use them.

Use them.

x2
bumpy

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My MH has a little women that reminds me to check slide locks and chairs for clearance with a 5 sec. delay. I would like to meet her some time.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't and have never had a problem but... I really should use one. I have a hydraulic ram powered slide and the manual does say it is susceptible to slide creep. I guess the valve could go bad and let fluid into the ram.

Our coach has a key that must be used at the slide control panel to operate the slide motor. If I do start using a slide lock, I will attach the key to the slide lock on a hook or something.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If supplied by the OEM, then they are required to be used.
1. Some are used to help keep the room from vibrating in transit(making squeaking noises)
2. Some are used to keep the room from slightly extending in transit
3. Some are used to pull the TOP of the slide in tight for a weather tight seal(Newmar in particular), but other brands as well. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A little flap over the switch will remind you to remove them before activating the slide. The locks have a good reason to be there but whether or not you want to use them is up to you.
There have been quite a few posts on this forum about slides creeping out while cruising down the highway so the choice is yours.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
My slide is electric motor/gear driven. The original owner nor I ever use the locks and the slide has never moved.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Ours are built in over center locking arms, we always use them.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak for what Monaco does, but my slides are hydraulic. If that slide comes out in a "turn", it's only because I'm in a roll and the hydraulic lines have been severed. As for stopping the slide from coming out if the pump comes on, that ain't gonna happen either. Trying to stop a hydraulic ram with a strap or pole brace will do nothing to stop it.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350