cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood Air Command Roof AC experiences

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace our 20 year old Penguin Low Profile ducted/heat pump 13.5 btu roof AC.

Please respond with your experience with the Atwood Air Command units.

Quality, noise level, cooling performance, and heat pump performace would be appreciated.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
8 REPLIES 8

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
DonBaja wrote:
Deandec:

Please keep this thread updated. I am sure a lot of us face the same issues. Myself, I have a '95 Monaco with the original a/cs, both still working for now. Thanks.

Well, my final decision was to buy a Dometic Low Profile Penguin 951916 on Ebay and the LCD thermostat 3313193.xxx.

This was the only direct replacement for my Ducted, Heat Pump, single zone Penguin that failed.

The Ebay purchase saved about $200, but I have not received the item yet.

We decided to go with our vanity and stay with the low profile rather than save money........
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Bill great info. Thanks for the details and the experience. Atwood sounds even more interesting with this info.

My units each have a dedicated thermostat so the wiring is in place.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
The white is a bright white inside and white outside, not grey. The wiring for the thermostat for front AC worked perfectly after cutting off ends and splicing connectors off the Atwood cable to the existing cable and putting shrink tubing over splices without having to pull new cable, this was per advice from Atwood tech. For the rear thermostat I had to pull +dc and -dc power to ac and pulled thermostat cable to rear TV cabinet and mounted rear thermostat on that cabinet. Glad to rid of the flaky 4 button CC thermostat.
Bill
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Bill

Did your new thermostats for the Attwood work with the old wiring?

My DW thinks their unit's white color is more grey color. Is she correct?

Thanks
Dean
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed 2 ducted 15000 Atwood air command ac with heat pumps in my motorhome, they work very well and much quieter. Keeps 38 ft motorhome cool even at 104 dg this summer. Thermostats are very easy to wire and work nicely with or without using remote controls.
Bill
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

DonBaja
Explorer
Explorer
Deandec:

Please keep this thread updated. I am sure a lot of us face the same issues. Myself, I have a '95 Monaco with the original a/cs, both still working for now. Thanks.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I appreciate the tips and conclusion.

I just learned that Atwood is now owned by Dometic.

I wonder if the Air Command will eventually cease to exist as a market competitor to the Brisk Air Dometic brand.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Put one in the bedroom of our Bluebird Wanderlodge. It works really well. Love the remote control. No need to wire it up to the thermostat on the wall. In fact, because ours is a 1990, the wiring and the thermostat needed to be replaced if went with another brand.

It cools well, quieter than the OEM, but i imagine the newer other models are quieter too.

If you like the fan to shut off when not cooling, this will not work for you. The fan runs all the time. At least, I cannot find a setting to have it shut off.