cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Gas water heater faulting

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
Got an 03 Fleetwood Discovery with a Atwood 10 gal gas/electric water heater. It will start up but then when the igniter shuts off it faults out and will not continue to work. Any ideas??
6 REPLIES 6

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addition to the good suggestions you have so far I would check and clean the ground wires these have caused me problems in the past especially if your relief valve leaks. These connections can corrode over time.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suspect if the furnace is working the regular at the propane tank should be OK. In with Old-Biscuit and the flame sensor needs attention. Its a safety device to shut the gas off after a preset time if it doesn't sense a flame.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

grannyapple3
Explorer
Explorer
OK we are going to check everything suggested and I will keep you posted

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Bad regulator not enough gas pressure

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spark electrode needs cleaning or replacing

Electrode is used to not only supply spark for ignition but it also 'proves' main flame has lit so that circuit board will continue to hold gas valve open.

Main flame needs to engulf electrode to generate signal/prove main flame

If electrode is dirt..signal can't be sent
If electrode is faulty...signal won't be sent

Try cleaning off electrode with steel wool
Check that wire from circuit broad to electrode connect is clean & tight at board and that the ceramic at electrode is not cracked

Gap between spark electrode & ground rod should be 1/8"

Other things to check:
Main gas orifice (screwed into gas valve) needs to be clean.....remove and clean with alcohol.
Burner tube needs to be clear and aligned so gas flows down the center of tube
Flame spreader on end of burner tube needs to be parallel to end of tube
Combustion/exhaust chamber needs to be clear......even small things like spider webs can disrupt
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Often, they get dirty. From the connections needing cleaning, to the burner tubes getting dirty. They build up rust in the burner and the ignitor can get corroded. Often, spiders will build a web in the gas tube.

There are a couple of electrical connectors with spade plugs. Disconnect them and then reconnect. This will often be enough to clean the connections. Blow out any debris and make sure the ignitor at the base of the burner is not too corroded. A small wire brush (tooth brush size) will work to clean out the burner and ignitor.

The above is pretty simple and you will see all of the components by just opening the outside door. It's a good idea to do this every so often. Give the cleaning a try and see if that fixes your issue. If not, you'll have to look further into the situation.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab