cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

axle splitter

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
My sister bought a used Winnebago ERA on a Mercedes Sprinter Deisel chassis. She owns a Toyota Camry that she would like to tow behind that. Is there a way for her to have an axle disconnect installed so she could tow four wheels down? She doesn't want the hassle of a dolly.
5 REPLIES 5

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I found this;

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/RecommendedVehicles.php

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butch, There "were" devices where you reached under the front of the FWD car, maybe from under the hood, and diddled with some kind of collar-looking thing that un-coupled the outer/wheel end of the CV shaft assembly from the inner/transaxle end. I just tried a little research and found this about REMCO:

"Axle-Lock disconnects for disengaging the automatic transmission of a front wheel drive vehicle, These units are no longer available, information for reference only!"

I'm not sure why they went away, but I can see a few possibilities.

1. FWD cars play very well with dolllies.

2. Disconnecting only one half-shaft (CV axle) leaves the differential part of the transaxle spinning and acting as if the car was doing around a corner.

3. There was no actuator cable for these, so you had to reach/crawl to get to the release collar.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with trying to get a driveshaft disconnect is I believe the Toyota is a front wheel drive. I think it is going to be kind of hard as you would have to disconnect each side.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brand name is REMCO. They used to offer Disconnects that released one half shaft so you could tow. Not sure they do anymore. If they don't, a drive line shop might be able to help.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you asking about an axle disconnect? If so, contace a Demco dealer and see if they make a kit for the specific vehicle.