Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B+ motorhomes

Daniel_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Trail Lite B+ 211s with 8.1 Chevy
engine. This is my fifth motorhome (others range
from an old 20' Vagabond, and three Winnegagos, from 19 to 32'. This vehicle is fantastic. I am
using it as a mobile office (and sneaking in a fun
journey from time to time). It gets about 9.5mpg
and I believe I could pull a bus behind it if I wanted! I paid low $40's which is about what I had expected to pay for a five or six year old Chinook with a nicer interior, but fewer features
(slide). I am delighted thus far.
Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S
3,721 REPLIES 3,721

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
happyjack2 wrote:
The B+ thread can be quiet for long periods of time and then will have several posts and conversations in a few days...
The answer to that as has been stated, is to click on the "subscribe". You can decide whether you want an email or not. I opted (<--is that a word?) not to get the email and it just shows up when I log in that a new posting has occured. I have to agree with "burlmart" because I especially enjoy reading this topic, but do enjoy the C forum as well.
rcwaz wrote:
I would imagine that there are more of us lurking by having the post notification turned on. I'm typically too busy maintaining my 293TS which seems to take an inordinate amount of my time.
I've been hearing about the bankruptcies and buyouts in the RV industry. This and the current economy might be the catalyst for improving quality in the RV industry
I hope you are right about improving quality. However, when times are tough it is easy to cut corners to stay afloat.
birdbybird wrote:
...He did mention that everyone else at the workshop were sort of jealous that they had to drive home or off to the motel every evening...
I know exactly what you mean. My wife has gone to a number of conventions, while I relax in the RV and catch up on some reading. Sure is nice having a bathroom and eats along.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
I wish we were more active w/ this thread, but then I feel a tinge of guilt that we are being exclusive relative to the C forum at large.

I enjoy this thread a lot, so I should probably figure a way to assuage my mixed-up conscience on the matter. Really, anyone can post here if they so choose, we do not inhibit them. And the non-competitive comraderie of this thread is far less pervasive in say, the larger General Forums, or even in the C Forum.

Maybe we should attempt to check in here more often.

Anyway, we may be going for a 2 to 3 night local camping trip in a few weeks. Otherwise, we have taken it for quick spins every month or so to exercise it, and we did a 4 nite Destin trip back in January.

We have a place at our new home to park the rig and save $60/mo for off-site storage under a metal roof shed nearby, but keeping that summer heat off the RV roof sure seems like a good thing for the rig. Thoughts of building a cover here at home come and go...

I am rambling. Good to hear from you B+ers.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

birdbybird
Explorer
Explorer
I have this thread linked to my e-mail, so I don't even have to pull up the forum to know one of you guys has something interesting to share. Personally I haven't been traveling since my last NC trip in Feb to get one of my dogs bred. (Pups should be here within the week!) DH did borrow the short bus for a Pottery Workshop. He did mention that everyone else at the workshop were sort of jealous that they had to drive home or off to the motel every evening. This Art Center is sort of in the boonies. He also enjoyed it during the potluck dinner when someone forgot to bring butter for her rolls and he jumps up and says, "I've got some." and he runs out to the bus to get it. I find that he is more likely to borrow this MH with its 22ft length. He appreciates the slightly better gas mileage and the size. But for me, its parked until the pups get older and do off to their new homes. I still get to decide if I want to keep one to show........
Christine

22ft BT Gulfstream MH
Chev 350 engine
and the four furry companions:Herschel, Stuart, Blondie and Remi

rcwaz
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine that there are more of us lurking by having the post notification turned on. I'm typically too busy maintaining my 293TS which seems to take an inordinate amount of my time.

I've been hearing about the bankruptcies and buyouts in the RV industry. This and the current economy might be the catalyst for improving quality in the RV industry.

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer
The B+ thread can be quiet for long periods of time and then will have several posts and conversations in a few days. Other parts of the net are pretty steady. I have this thread saved so if anyone posts it will indicate when I log on and check my forums. I know my honey do list is my main objective now spring is here which minimizes my net time.
We will be taking HappyJack2 on the annual MD,WV,PA,NY and home loop to see family, most we haven't seen since fall, over the Spring break. Since I keep the B+ in the backyard it is fairly easy to get ready for any trip. Now in our third year we have it down to a routine. It is great to load it up and head it out for the open road, even if we traveled much of the same route before.

We will be making a loop from Maine to the Eastern Shore and then South to VA Beach to visit with family and then slowley heading back home via Hershey PA.:B
As I said this will be our first camping trip with the new rig, although I drove it back from AR last December.
There were no surpises with driving the new rig down the road and I'm very happy with the way it handles from driving my old truck camper set up with loads of supension mods.

Hope to see you on the road someday!

Have a safe trip!
Ralph and Shari
2006 R-Vision Trail-Lite Model 251
Chevrolet 6.0 14,050lb. GVWR

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
The B+ thread can be quiet for long periods of time and then will have several posts and conversations in a few days. Other parts of the net are pretty steady. I have this thread saved so if anyone posts it will indicate when I log on and check my forums. I know my honey do list is my main objective now spring is here which minimizes my net time.
We will be taking HappyJack2 on the annual MD,WV,PA,NY and home loop to see family, most we haven't seen since fall, over the Spring break. Since I keep the B+ in the backyard it is fairly easy to get ready for any trip. Now in our third year we have it down to a routine. It is great to load it up and head it out for the open road, even if we traveled much of the same route before.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone must be busy, including me, getting ready for the first camping trip of the 2009 season!
I'll be sealing some roof leaks and replacing my black water dump valve tomorrow.
It's going to be our first warm 45-50 degree sunny day here...Oh Boy.
I'm almost ready for our first trip May 1st!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We too looked at the Roadtreks. We had one of the first Winnebago's on a van chassis. It was called a Centauri and was like a van with four captain chairs and large jacknife sofa in rear. Tons of storage all over the place for a van. We took a porta potti and outdoor cooking and had what we wanted in a vehicle you could sleep in, stand up in and get 22 mpg in that 4 cylinder diesel. It was slow but drove nice and road nice. Mannual transmission and in those days speed limit was 55. Later we got the LaSharo which was a moho with toilet and shower and cooking. They also turbo charged that Renault diesel and it did make a difference. Many years later it became Rialta. We considered one but just wanted a bit more power and larger and then we saw the BT. A bed in the back was critical. We have changed some things but overall it meets our needs. Am considering getting a smart car to tow 4 down. At about 1800 lbs it will be great and will also be a good town car. Have been towing the Prius on dolly but it is a hassle and at 3000 lbs and then dolly a bit heavy for mountains. We are in process of changing the upholstery. It is in good shape but we want different colors. We are also looking to get more efficient in cooking outside I too don't mind the white noise of furnace or even genny when needed.

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Burl, I do. Most of us get what many are seeking in mpg. We have AFAIC, more usuable, livable space at a small penalty for our increased road size. If I had mine home, I would be driving it a few times a week.
Also, a lot of the improvements we are seeing in the new compact class A's and B's as well can be used to advantage in a B+.
BTW. Gene, you should feel free to express any opinion on my work! Insight is always appreciated.

:W
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
You folks think our B+ rigs (used or new) will be a popular MH style in the near term?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheeze1 - Of course we can! Well, it depends on how you define "swashbuckle"? Our definition is "a flamboyant adventurer". You need to have those characteristics to traverse the congestion in the east, the rolling hills in the mid section, and the sparse and scenic in the west.

btw, I was impressed with your modification. I kept my mouth shut during your adventure.
Gene

cheeze1
Explorer
Explorer
When I did my rebuild I took advantage of duct relocation and moved the forward duct as far as it could go since the cab does get cold at night. In addition, I moved the rear duct backwards a short distance to better cover the middle of the coach.
When we stayed in Md. the first winter we had the RV, and expecting "warmer" weather in that area over the Xmas vacation, we learned how good the heat is. It was 12 deg. for 2 nights and the furnace did a great job. Since we are not swashbucklers like Gene, we were hooked up. The only problem is the moisture build up thru the night which seems to all condense in the inside of the windshield. As for the noise at night, I happen to like to 'sleep warm' and also find the blower noise soothing. ๐Ÿ˜‰
We also had the same revelation as Gene when we went to an RV show to see class B's. We went into a BT Cruiser and my DW asked: "how much is one of these?". Once we saw the price difference for more room, less money, we were hooked.

btw, can a Nebraskan actually swashbuckle? :h
Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
happyjack2 - I remember when we first started looking for a small RV, we started by looking at RoadTrek's. Just could not be convinced to spend the money for something I could not ever stand up in. Then we found our present unit the 211-S by Trail-Lite. It was advertised as having R-5 insulation. That is not really great, but very seldom do you see any RV manufacturer stating the "R" value of the insulation. My brother-in-law stated that it could be much better insulated than most as they are willing to state or brag about the R value. We have found that the furnace can keep the inside toasty warm down into the "teens". Our only complaint is the periodic fan noise in the middle of the night and the drain it puts on the battery.
Gene

happyjack2
Explorer
Explorer
Our ducted heat register is under the jack knife sofa about two foot away from the heater itself on our 211. Someday I might get ambitious and route it futher up toward the cab to spread the heat out a bit. When I was stowing the memory foam topper under the sofa last summer I disconnected the duct as it was in the way and connected up for our December trip to Pensacola FL. The heater works quite well as our first night there it was 29 degrees.
Bill & Maggie
LT USNR Ret.
2003 Trail Lite 211 B+
Chevy 6.0L

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer

This picture shows the location of the 2008 Model 251 heat register on the aft dinette seat base.

This isn't my rig, but I just wanted other pre-2007 Model 251
owners to see what their missing!