cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to caulking the cabover window again.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
It's been about 9 months since the last caulk job I did on the cabover. I don't recall what I used, but it shrunk and was hard to remove. Took almost an hour to do the left third of the window.
I will tackle the rest tomorrow and Tuesday. Then I will clean and tape up the frame and 1/2 space for the caulk all around the window.
NOW, what is the best caulk to use that's easy to apply and clean up.
3 REPLIES 3

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Most manufacturers don't caulk around windows. The window is normally sealed to the outer skin with butyl putty tape. But if you do caulk, I'd use polyurethane. Don't use silicone. Silicone contaminates the surfaces and nothing will stick after that, not even fresh silicone.

x2.
Remove the window, clean it, reinstall with butyl tape

Complete job done right takes about 2 hours. If it took you an hour to caulk the left third you could fix it right in the same amount of time.

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe try some EternaBond.

http://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/cr-rs.htm
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Most manufacturers don't caulk around windows. The window is normally sealed to the outer skin with butyl putty tape. But if you do caulk, I'd use polyurethane. Don't use silicone. Silicone contaminates the surfaces and nothing will stick after that, not even fresh silicone.