cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Basement Air Question

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, if it's really cold outside and I have my basement air on, producing "electric heat" (according to my controller), I think my furnace will kick on. The basement system is ducted through my ceiling, but sometimes, the vents on the floor will blow hot, which makes me think my furnace is coming on. I can also feel heat coming out of the furnace vents on the back of the RV. Since I'm set up in a park, I don't want my propane to be used up heating the RV or I'll have to leave to get it refilled.

My question is, is there a way to keep the furnace off, or am I confused and it's not really using propane?

It's an 02 Winnebago Adventurer.

Tom
6 REPLIES 6

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
My floor heat comes on when the basement air temp thermostat is set higher than 3 degrees of the interior motor home. The heat pump must be increased slowly by 3 degree increments. On the other hand it has a real problem working at all when it is super cold outside.
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
This is from memory as I haven't read the manual in a while. I think the heat pump will attempt to reach set point in ten minutes if it is within 5 degrees of room temp. Over the time or temp limit and the furnace will kick on "to assist". If after another ten minutes and fail to reach set point it will shut down. Remember the heat pump function will not function if the outside (inlet) air is in the forty degree range.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Click this link for an explanation of YOUR system. Doug

http://old.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/t_stat_electric_heat_function.pdf

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. It makes sense. When thinking about it, I think the furnace kicks on when I turn it up too quickly. Must be in the design to get the interior up to temperature more rapidly than the heat pumps can bring it up.

I have a space heater, but it won't keep the entire interior warm when it's down below freezing and I can't run the heat pump and the space heater at the same time with only 30-amp service.

Tom

Tom

MrLugs
Explorer
Explorer
My 2000 Fleetwood southwind has an extra vent on the furnace that outlets into the basement. So the furnace heats both upper and lower with no way to control them individually. I am installing a flap valve to turn off the basement heat.
2000 Southwind Storm 30H 31.5'
Banks Powerpack system
2003 Jeep Rubicon Toad
and a Dog

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
From My memory of my Winnebago ,Its on propane if its out of the floor! You will also notice a big clue is your furnace burner on if you stand outside by the furnace burner exhaust . It will automatically come on if the inside temp difference is too great or the heat pumps cant provide enough heat When on the heat pump setting. Normally that happens as I said , if its too cold outside for the heat pumps to heat properly (40deg outside or lower), Or as I said youve set it for 70 and the temp inside is 50 the furnace will come on also as the heat pumps cant raise the temp that fast. The furnace will shut off as soon as the heat pump can keep up.
If you want just elect heat use some small aux heaters The pump will default to furnace backup. Heat pumps (reverse air conditioning ) will not work in cold temp!
Bill