cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Hold downs

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
The batteries in my RV are held down with metal L shaped brackets that go around the edge of 2 batteries and then are bolted to the floor. Over time these have begun to corrode due to the battery fumes/liquid.

So I need to replace them.

I want to go with a better solution, that won't corrode out.

I was thinking plastic brackets or a metal bar attached to the bolts.

What have you guys done and how did it work ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
21 REPLIES 21

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like that idea, nice pic too
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
Thanks for the suggestion. And I certainly appreciate it. But, as stated, those 6V golf cart batteries weigh 67 lbs. each and, they're pretty much wedged in the tray. Our motorhome would have to bounce at such a phenomenal rate to even MOVE those batteries, that I'm pretty sure I'd have way more other problems than dislodged batteries. If I really wanted to, I could MacGyver something without too much trouble. They've been in there now for over 7 years and, haven't moved yet. Thanks again.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Can you utilize straps instead of a hold down bracket? Mine are just Husky straps from Home Depot.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Well,
I'll more than likely get a bit of flaming for this but, no biggie, been flamed many, many times both in my career and on here. Anyway, I changed from (3) 12V Junk INTERSTATE batteries to (4) Costco 6V Golf Cart batteries over 7 years ago and, since I have very, very little clearance above the batteries, I have NO HOLD DOWNS at all on those. They weigh 67 lbs EACH!!!!!!!!
Those (4) batteries are very close to each other and have a small spacer in between them so to just keep them from POTENTIALLY from sliding around. Now, am I gonna BOUNCE them out of their somewhat secure position, with any sort of rough road or intersection? Nope, not gonna happen. As stated, they've been that way for almost 8 years and haven't moved one micro inch.
Scott

Scott, I also have no hold downs on my 4 GC batteries, but if they jiggle loose they have no way out but up 2 1/2 feet and out the hood opening. I have seen some under the stair batteries that have little surrounding them and could escape if not secured. I think it all depends...............

Richard

Hey Richard,
Yeah, if mine had little to no side wall restriction, I'd find some sort of way to tie them down. But, the House battery tray is approximately 4" deep and, those batteries are snug as a bug in a rug in there. I'd have to do a moto cross race with it in order for those four house batts to even think about trying to get out of their enclosure.
Scott

You still have dirt bikes? Ya have an extra? Lets go riding. I just sold my last dirt bike about a month ago. 😞 Now I down to Segways for two wheeling.

Richard,
Well, yeah, in fact I do have a dirt bike, sort-a. It's a Yamaha TW200. It's a combo thing. Don't know if you know about them or not but, if not, they're neat little toy. I'd post a pic but, Rv.net makes it so hard to post a pic, vs say, other RV forums. Look them up, they're a kick in the pants.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Well,
I'll more than likely get a bit of flaming for this but, no biggie, been flamed many, many times both in my career and on here. Anyway, I changed from (3) 12V Junk INTERSTATE batteries to (4) Costco 6V Golf Cart batteries over 7 years ago and, since I have very, very little clearance above the batteries, I have NO HOLD DOWNS at all on those. They weigh 67 lbs EACH!!!!!!!!
Those (4) batteries are very close to each other and have a small spacer in between them so to just keep them from POTENTIALLY from sliding around. Now, am I gonna BOUNCE them out of their somewhat secure position, with any sort of rough road or intersection? Nope, not gonna happen. As stated, they've been that way for almost 8 years and haven't moved one micro inch.
Scott

Scott, I also have no hold downs on my 4 GC batteries, but if they jiggle loose they have no way out but up 2 1/2 feet and out the hood opening. I have seen some under the stair batteries that have little surrounding them and could escape if not secured. I think it all depends...............

Richard

Hey Richard,
Yeah, if mine had little to no side wall restriction, I'd find some sort of way to tie them down. But, the House battery tray is approximately 4" deep and, those batteries are snug as a bug in a rug in there. I'd have to do a moto cross race with it in order for those four house batts to even think about trying to get out of their enclosure.
Scott

You still have dirt bikes? Ya have an extra? Lets go riding. I just sold my last dirt bike about a month ago. 😞 Now I down to Segways for two wheeling.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Well,
Scott

Richard

Hey Richard,
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Well,
Scott

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used threaded rod and angle iron to hold my two GC batteries in place. Mine are not on a slide out tray so filling the cells with water is difficult to see so most of the time they were over filled and the angle iron corroded away in about 5 or 6 years. I made new ones from an old bed frame the L section was a little thicker and was painted. I gave it another coat of black paint and they have been on for about 10 years and are still OK.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking 6 volt golf cart batteries (my battery of choice), I use these. They go across the long edge on the top of the battery and you use threaded rod at a 45 degree angle to the opposite side base of the battery. This does require having something for the battery to set against on the opposite side bottom. Makes for a solid mount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Gas-Golf-Cart-Battery-Hold-Down-Plate-G1-to-G22-1978-UP-New-Parts/121680830113?epid=14024867329&hash=item1c54be1ea1:g:0UwAAOSwNSxVSTiz

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use nylon tie-down straps, in combination with some homebuilt painted wooden blocks shaped to guide the straps over the tops of the batteries without fouling the vent caps etc.

It is not a very good idea to omit the hold down, as much to ensure they cannot short out on the vehicle frame in a collision as anything.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
SS hold down brackets

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Threw out all my bungees and tie downs when I found these.

I use it for Lawn chairs on ladder, bikes, everything on my
cargo carrier, water hoses and power cords, AND around my battery.

Comes invarious lengths. Use over and over again. Never rusts.
Mine are over 10 years old and still holding down stuff!
And taking off and putting back on over and over! :B

Just wrap around and twist.

Twist N Stays

Our flexible Twist N Stays can hold anything from garden hoses and lawn tools to sports equipment and bikes on car racks. Just wrap one around whatever needs securing, twist it three times, and fold the ends back. Twist N Stays are completely reusable and cushioned for protection of your items.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I just use rubber bungee straps with s-hooks on the ends. Stretch 'em over the batteries and secure the ends to the tray or other solid piece. They cost a few bucks and last 2-3 seasons before they need replacing. Easy enough to install and remove when needed.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------