cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Hold downs

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
The batteries in my RV are held down with metal L shaped brackets that go around the edge of 2 batteries and then are bolted to the floor. Over time these have begun to corrode due to the battery fumes/liquid.

So I need to replace them.

I want to go with a better solution, that won't corrode out.

I was thinking plastic brackets or a metal bar attached to the bolts.

What have you guys done and how did it work ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JCat wrote:
I have used the AGM's for my lat 2 sets of batteries and they don't last long enough to justify the cost.
Perhaps you're buying cheap ones or not charging them properly. They should last longer than acid tubs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, I have used the AGM's for my lat 2 sets of batteries and they don't last long enough to justify the cost.

I will look into some straps.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
They do make battery hold down straps. That is what I use.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
kdk wrote:
When mine corroded beyond use I threw them away. I figure if the batteries bounce out of the tray in a 40 foot motor home, I've got more serious problems than batteries. (jmho)
x2.

I never used hold-downs in my 5er. They do tend to slide around a bit so it may be a good idea to have a border for them.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
When mine corroded beyond use I threw them away. I figure if the batteries bounce out of the tray in a 40 foot motor home, I've got more serious problems than batteries. (jmho)
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
AGM batteries or what I have done in the past is pull the brackets off, clean them up and then use a rubber or plasti dip to protect them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a battery that doesn't cause corrosion. AGM