cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery issues

jekern1015
Explorer
Explorer
I put my batteries in my 24' Minnie Winnie over the weekend and accidently hooked the RV battery up backwards. I started the RV up and it immediatly shorted out. I burned a wire in half on the positive terminal in the engine compartment not to mention melting the lead out of the positive terminal as well. Outside of melting the one battery I blew the fuse for the radio. I was under the impression that the 2 batteries were not connected in any way. Any idea as to what I need to look into as the cause of this problem other than the idiot that hooked the one battery up backwards. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
6 REPLIES 6

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jekern,

Let me just say that you are not the first to do this and probably will not be the last. This is the sort of work I used to do on boats and may again if the market ever comes back.

The systems have to have some cross connection to charge the hotel bank from the main engine. More down the page.

When a battery gets installed backwards, there can be a lot of damage done as soon as the terminals are connected. Many things are protected from reverse polarity with sacrificial parts included. Unfortunately, often professional repair is still not economic. Before you started the main engine, you had already done damage to everything polarity sensitive.
Things to test right now:
-The converter/charger (most have fuses, but they may not be fast enough)
-The inverter (if you have) (also has fuses)
-The power supplies for entertainment systems even if "Off"
-Fluorescent lights
-Tank monitoring systems
-Energy control or monitioring systems
Things that will probably survive:
-Pumps and motors (if not on they were safe)
-Incandescent lights

Your Winnie uses a heavy contactor (looks like a Ford solenoid) to charge the house (hotel) bank from the main engine alternator. When you started the main engine, that contactor closed. As soon as that happened, lots of things in the main engine systems may have been damaged. First on my list is always the alternator diodes. I suggest that if you can't confirm that it is still completely operational, that you remove it and take it to someone that can test it. There is also a light gauge wire in the harness called a "fusible link". It is actually a multi-hundred amp fuse the protect the vehicle harness. It is in the main power harness either near the battery or the starter main terminal. If you can find that, and the insulation is saggy, you can get replacements at most auto parts stores. Most of these are lost to corrosion, but lots of them get burned up too.

I wish you luck.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this, it may alert others to beware of polarity. Hopefully your engine's alternator and other 12vdc electrical devices were not harmed. If you are not savvy about electrics, have a mobile RV service or truck/auto electrical guy check it out.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Practically all Class Cs have some method of charging the coach battery when the engine is running. Mine has a solenoid that connects the coach battery to the chassis battery when the ignition is on.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Because the sparks did not fly until the engine was started, the RV may be utilizing a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay. The BIRD would not connect the two batteries until it sensed a +13 Volts (appox) from one onf the connected batteries.....then poof, the smoke is out.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of your problem, but you are not the first to do it. Many years ago I came home after a very long graveyard shift very tired and wanted to hook up the batteries in my boat. They hooked up OK and everything was fine until I put the battery selector switch to both and there was a loud pop. I blew the post off the battery and the 80 amp fuse at the alternator. After replacing the battery I did what I should of done to start with, I used some of my red electrical tape and color coded all of my positive wires. My MH is done the same way so there is no confusion on what cables go where. I have not had the problem since.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying you put the coach(house) batteries back in? Or the engine(chassis) battery?
Check converter/charger. Hopefully only the charge circuit fuses blew.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+