cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Question

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Edited to add: The battery is fine, the Charge Wizard did it's job and the battery was fully charged and perfect. I on the other hand am a dork. I forgot that I had hit the "Battery Disconnect" switch yesterday and of course today I wasn't getting any power when I disconnected from Shore power so I thought the battery had died. Thank you though for all the input.

So I need help with a Battery Question, if the House battery in my coach is a Full River, Deep Cycle Dry Battery do I have to replace it with the same type?

I ask as apparently when money was no object we bought and had this battery installed, (probably because I told the person I did not want to have to deal with it, as it is in a very annoyingly difficult to deal with area.

We have a very good family friend who works at a Battery store and can get us a very nice discount, but it is still a big chunk of change to replace same for same. He is getting a new job (waiting for the last minute details and his start date) so he will be leaving and so will our discount so if I need to replace this I want to do it NOW!

I think the current battery is a 2009 and right now it is dead, I have it hooked up to a charger and am hopeful that it will come back, but seeing as how we just had to replace the engine battery I think it might also need to be replaced. BUT I do not want to pay that much again.

So my question is do you have a battery you recommend for the house battery? I do not want to add water as like I said it is in a difficult spot, but I am adding a Battery Minder to it so I can keep it in good shape.

Thanks for the help, Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy
18 REPLIES 18

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There are "manifold" devices for adding water to battery cells as needed which may make maintenance of standard batteries easier for your situation. I have read that standard type batteries last longer than maintenance-free batteries.

If you can use a standard lead/acid battery, a USA brand deep cyle battery may suit your needs and cost lots less than maintenance free types. All standard lead/acid batteries require replenishment of electrolyte with distilled water as needed. Also, periodic cleaning of battery cable connectors and other wire connections at battery terminals is necessary for proper 12 volt battery system performance.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear your battery is good. Don't feel too bad, we all make mistakes.:W
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Fullriver AGM batteries are good for the money. I have four DC220-6 batteries and am satisfied with their performance. I am glad the OP figured out the battery is fine and won't have to replace it.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Edited to add: The battery is fine, the Charge Wizard did it's job and the battery was fully charged and perfect. I on the other hand am a dork. I forgot that I had hit the "Battery Disconnect" switch yesterday and of course today I wasn't getting any power when I disconnected from Shore power so I thought the battery had died. Thank you though for all the input.
Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something has happened to cause your AGM batteries to go bad so fast.
Could be inadequate charging or improper charging.

The battery techy types can weigh in here.
I am given to understand that a standard RV converter can ruin either an AGM or a wet cell under the right circumstance.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
ntjpmm wrote:
I guess the real question I am asking here is does the house battery have to be Deep Cycle?

Tracy in WA

The only reason for using a deep cycle battery is that they tolerate being discharged to 50% better than other types. If you never run off the battery, other than when stopping to buy gas, or waiting while the wife shops, you don't need a deep cycle battery.

Maybe others have a different opinion. :h

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the real question I am asking here is does the house battery have to be Deep Cycle?

Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are always connected to power, other than when traveling, any old 12v battery will be fine. I would probably go with a Costco 12v marine battery, about $80. Maybe your friend can get you a better deal on some other marine battery.

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
We don't do any off grid camping if that makes a difference.
Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you do much off grid camping deep cycle batteries are the best. Many use two Costco or Walmart 6v deep cycle batteries in series. Second choice would be a marine 12v battery, also Costco or Walmart.

I don't have space for 2 batteries without a lot of work, so I use a Costco Marine battery.

Any 12v battery will work. Battery life will be different with different types of batteries.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My battery was in a hard to check area. I made a drawer type shelf so I can pull out the shelf with the battery on it. Checking the water in the battery is easy to do now. Cost a lot less than an AGM battery.

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Opps sorry, does it have to be a Deep cycle AGM battery or can it be a Maintenance Free Battery? (I do not care about brand) Is there a type/brand that you would recommend instead?
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ntjpmm wrote:
Does it have to be replaced with the same Deep cycle AGM battery?
Do you mean the same brand, deep cycle, or AGM? That battery faq will help a lot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so it is currently a Full River 12 volt deep cycle AGM battery. (DC100-12) Does it have to be replaced with the same Deep cycle AGM battery?

What do you use??

Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy