cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Motorhomes

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just starting my search for a new Motorhome and will be going with a diesel pusher. These are the mfg's that I'm looking at and would like to get these in order of quality. I'm going for a 1998 to 2005 and would rather go with an older coach but one that was really built well with quality parts. Anything in the 32 to 37 foot range would work well for my wife and I. Would really like one with two slides.

Any suggestions would be great. I need to put them in order from best to worst. If I'm missing a mfg. that should be on the list please add it. If one should be taken off the list that's ok with me.

American Coach
Holiday Rambler
Monaco
National
Newmar
Rexhall
Safari.
18 REPLIES 18

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php

I'm amused at the lack of respect for a 'forever' coach.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Twotrouble wrote:
We just recently purchased a 98 Foretravel. No slides, but absolutely love it! All solid wood! Definitely worth checking out Foretravel!

A VERY good (free) site for technical knowledge on Foretravel:

http://www.foreforums.com/index.php?action=forum
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Twotrouble
Explorer
Explorer
We just recently purchased a 98 Foretravel. No slides, but absolutely love it! All solid wood! Definitely worth checking out Foretravel!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jassrnj wrote:
I'm just starting my search for a new Motorhome and will be going with a diesel pusher. These are the mfg's that I'm looking at and would like to get these in order of quality. I'm going for a 1998 to 2005 and would rather go with an older coach but one that was really built well with quality parts. Anything in the 32 to 37 foot range would work well for my wife and I. Would really like one with two slides.

Any suggestions would be great. I need to put them in order from best to worst. If I'm missing a mfg. that should be on the list please add it. If one should be taken off the list that's ok with me.

American Coach
Holiday Rambler
Monaco
National
Newmar
Rexhall
Safari.

Other suggestions that you have so far are worth noting.
As for your first pick, we always liked American and have recently purchased the one listed below, even though it's doesn't say American on it anywhere, it was built on the American platform, which Fleetwood owned at the time.
If you should go with an older Revolution as we did, be sure to buy only the 05, 06 or 07. This however, is assuming that you'd like having a 400HP Cat C9. Previous to the 05, engine and hp were less, it wasn't an LE and it just wasn't the same, overall.
After 07 (engine built in 06 and the last of the slobber tubes) Cat did a band aid for the new gov. emissions for building in 07 and then got out of the over the road business altogether, soon after.
We might have went with an even older Foretravel, but with wanting the 1 1/2 bath floor plan, along with the 3 slides, we decided to stick with what we had researched. Still having a few surprises, but that's with any of them and do feel that this quality built coach will serve us well.
Good luck in your search and usually the part with the most fun.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bleeder_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2008 Damon Astoria Pacific
Beau, Ninon and "The 6 Samoyeds"

Amateur Radio "N1MJD" monitoring 146.520
2008 Damon Astoria 3772

bleeder_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Damon Astoria 38 feet, 3 slides and very low mileage.
Beau, Ninon and "The 6 Samoyeds"

Amateur Radio "N1MJD" monitoring 146.520
2008 Damon Astoria 3772

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Foretravel. We just bought our 36' 2005 U270,2 slides, 400HP Cummins back in May. After a year long search, Foretravel is by far the best quality motorhome we looked at. Check out Motorhomes of Texas, They usually have a good selection of preowned Foretravels
2005 Foretravel U270,36', 400HP Cummins ISL
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are very pleased with our 2000 Monaco Monarch (gas) It has an all aluminum roof and body with front & rear fiberglass caps. It still shines like new and the decals are still in great condition. Has many many options that were standard.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I have a like new Beaver(2001) DP......best coach I've ever had. Very solid, all real woods interior.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Of the brands you mentioned.

Newmar
Monaco (Holiday Rambler)

Would be at the top of my list in that order.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bruce_Brown
jassrnj wrote:
One more thing to add. I'm done with rubber roofs and will only purchase a coach with a solid one piece roof. That will limit the motorhomes available to me but again I'm looking for quality.

Best careful not to paint with such a broad brush, "rubber" doesn't always mean bad, "solid one piece roof" doesn't always mean quality.

We've owned 3 Newmars, all with a BriteTek roof, many mistakenly call rubber. If we were buying again we'd by BriteTek again in a heartbeat. I've worked on at least 3 "solid one piece roofs" that I certainly wouldn't call quality.

I am not a fan of a traditional EPDM roof, I'm with you on that one. Just keep in mind a quality MH will normally have a quality roof, regardless of the material.

As to your list, I'm a Newmar guy. Like the Newmar, the Holiday Rambler/Monaco twins cannot delaminate. The newer Safaris are also a corporate twin to the HR/Monacos.

I'd also add Travel Supreme/Entegra to your list as well.

Overall you have a nice list. On the Americans be sure to check for delamination, otherwise a decent unit.

I can't add an opinion on Rexhall.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, both CC and Foretravel make 36'.

Very few, but I believe CC made a 33' at one time and know there are a couple of 34' Foretravel Unicoaches out there.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin or Newmar would be on my short list for new coaches and T.S, C.C. and Alpine for used D.P.'s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
Foretravel,Newell,Prevost

Prevost and Newell out....too long for the OP's desired size range. I am not sure there was a 36'-37' Foretravel but it's quite possible.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?