cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Road for 40 ft. coach from Jackson Wyoming to Yosemite

MrMrsRepMO
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Jackson Wyoming to Yosemite in our 40 ft coach with tow - Would like reccommendation on what highway and gate to is safest and best to take and enter. Thank You so much.
19 REPLIES 19

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdocter7 wrote:
Thanks--we do have a two night reservation for one of the very few sites that can fit us. We've stayed outside the park and really want to experience staying right there. We would have stayed longer if we could have--that's a tough reservation to get!

And Tioga isn't that bad. No way in heck would I drive 110 miles to avoid it. I wouldn't drive 5 miles to avoid it!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks--we do have a two night reservation for one of the very few sites that can fit us. We've stayed outside the park and really want to experience staying right there. We would have stayed longer if we could have--that's a tough reservation to get!

EB_Expedition
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend Tioga Pass, steep, narrow and winding. Take 120 to the park. Please note that Yosemite has very few camp sites that accomodate a 40' motorhome (12 as noted in their website). You will probably need to stay outside the park and drive in via your toad. There are several nice campgrounds in the aera.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Tunnels are measured on the side, not the highest point.... our experience, anyway.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdocter7 wrote:
Help me, please! We're coming from Carson City, NV to Lower Pines Campground in the Yosemite Valley in a 40' rig, towing a car. We are 13 foot high. From what I've read if we take Tioga Rad, we would then take Big Oak Flat Road which has tunnels, one of which is 10' 2" going into the valley.

Is this correct? Looks like we are taking the long way around. Specific route suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

You'll be fine. I don't know where the 10 foot number came from, but I don't think it's even that low at the edge, but it may be. But like has already been said, it's wide and curved at the top. 45 foot tour busses go through it all the time.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I saw that when we drove the car on it last week but there is more to the 10' 2"... It goes on to say. "At the curb" or edge of the road. The tunnel has a curved top that is probably 16' high in the middle and it's not a narrow road. If you hug the center line you will have plenty of clearance. I saw several semi delivery trucks on it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
Help me, please! We're coming from Carson City, NV to Lower Pines Campground in the Yosemite Valley in a 40' rig, towing a car. We are 13 foot high. From what I've read if we take Tioga Rad, we would then take Big Oak Flat Road which has tunnels, one of which is 10' 2" going into the valley.

Is this correct? Looks like we are taking the long way around. Specific route suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, you're getting some not accurate info here. I live a few hours drive from the park and have been through all of the entrances. The easiest entrance is 140 through Merced, but even it has hills and curves. But it's the best road as it follows the Merced River and stays at the lowest elevation. So if you were coming from San Jose, I'd tell you to take 140. But just because it's the easiest, doesn't make it the best since you are coming from the East.

You can get over Tioga Pass in your motorhome. Motorhomes do it all the time. I've done it numerous times in my 35 foot DP with a toad. So why Take Tioga? Well from Reno to the Yosemite Valley coming down 395 and going over Tioga Pass is 216 miles. From Reno taking I-80 to Sacramento and then down 99 to 140 and to the Yosemite Valley is 323 miles. So the question, do you want to drive 110 extra miles just to avoid climbing one steep grade? No way in heck would I drive an extra 110 miles just to avoid Tioga Pass. That is assuming you are leaving soon as the snow weather may come early this year.

And I should mention that extra 110 mile drive will take you through Sacramento, Stockton, and Modesto. Basically an ugly drive with lots of traffic. The Tioga Route keeps you in nice scenery all the way.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
140 is much is much easier than 120.
Outdoor P. I've already been there and it was not a problem in my 42' DP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
HPYHILM, do you know if you took 120 or 140 from the west?

Ivylog, I do not recommend going through South Lake Tahoe with a class A. Just stay on I-80 to Merced. Sure it's longer but easier and I bet faster.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
HPYHILM wrote:
Tioga pass was much easier then those winding long climb coming from the west. Just take it slow and enjoy the ride.
Using a very low gear!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga pass was much easier then those winding long climb coming from the west. Just take it slow and enjoy the ride.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just came out of Jackson to west of Yosemite by way of South Lake Tahoe. The first part is easy... do not take 22 west out of Jackson, take 89 to Alpine and then 26 to Idaho Falls and then I-15 to Twin Falls. 93 down to I-80 to Fernely, NV... get fuel there at $2.35. The Phillips just north of Jackson is your best bet when leaving.

I agree Tioga Pass will be interesting in a 40' DP but it's the shortest way... dropping down from Fernley. This was my fourth time at Yosemite over many decades and I was very disappointed... Huge burnt areas, half of remaining trees dead from the pine beetle, and very little water resulting in NO Yosemite Falls, not even a wet area on the rock face. Between that and the smoke it was not very appealing.

Tahoe was much nicer as very few dead trees or burnt areas BUT from there Yosemite is a interesting drive (49 in particular) and 120 less so but you can see for miles without a single green tree. We stayed in Sonora at the fairgrounds and drove the toad into Yosemite.

120 into Yosemite from the west had a sign that said what I have done on occasion..."Turn off your AC for the next 8 miles"... yes it was that steep although not as steep as the old road that went up the other side of the valley without any switchbacks.

Where are you headed after Yosemite?