cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to use Inverter

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
When you arrive at a national park campground there no hookups the inverter on my 02 Monaco has two switches like off and on There is a circuit breaker labeled inverter. if you are not using the inverter to invert 12volts up to 120 vac just listening to a TV that plugs into a cigarette lighter plug what is the best thing to do turn off inverter circuit breaker. If you turn the two switches off on the inverter itself what would work anything? I know I am asking a lot of questions but my female companion wants to strike out for Oregon which would be no problem I still had the truck camper I had it figured out this is somewhat different at least a lot of questions different
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
5 REPLIES 5

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"devildog1971".....I owned a 2005 Diplomat and only turned the inverter on when I wanted/needed to run something on 110volts. Since that coach really only had a microwave and TV that needed the inverter, I would only turn it on for the TV. I was never a fan of running the microwave on the inverter (older coaches and inverters). As stated, if you leave it on, it will take some power for it to idle.

I later added a residential refer to the Diplomat. I still didn't want to run the inverter all the time (2000 Watt Magnum), so I added a second 600 Watt Magnum inverter that ran just the refer. When I wanted to watch TV, which included powering the TV and DirecTV receiver, I would turn on the big inverter.

Fast forward, my new coach is all electric, has a bigger inverter and more batteries. It was really designed to have the inverter on all the time. I never turn mine off.

On yours, just turn it on when needed.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MRUSA wrote:
Use inverter only if you need to power 110 volt items. At other times switch it off because it uses some power from your batteries even when it is at rest.

I would have to know the labeling on the switches to give more accurate info than the above
Prosine 2.0 for example has 3 switches. two on/off type inside (plus a 3rd one for the display) and a main OFF/ON (Big red switch) on the device itself. If I have no need this switch shuts off EVERYTHING including the parasitic load for the inverter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
The answer is "it depends".

If the make and model is available then a real answer is possible.

I chose to add heavy duty switches for the DC input to the inverter. Then I KNOW it is not drawing any power.

It may be best practise to have the inverter off except when it is needed for powering a device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to me the switch on the inverter should be adequate. Every inverter I've ever dealt with will be slightly warm when the switch is on, even if nothing is plugged into it. If the switch is off, the inverter is at ambient temperature, which says to me it is not using any electricity.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Use inverter only if you need to power 110 volt items. At other times switch it off because it uses some power from your batteries even when it is at rest.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor