cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best ways to fill non-removable LP tank?

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, I am a new full-time RVer and I just now went through my first LP tank on my furnace. It looks to be about a 35-40 lb. (7-8 gallon) tank and is removable. I have my rig parked for the winter, skirted and on boards and was wondering what the best approach is to filling my tank WITHOUT undoing everything and driving it to the service station.

An old-timer I know said there are attachments that would allow me to transfer propane from one tank to another, but after researching that, it seems that method is considered dangerous and possibly even illegal? The only solution I could find is to fork out $100 for an "extend-a-stay" kit and attach a second tank to run off of and completely bypass the permanently attached stock tank. Is that all I can do without actually driving the rig somewhere to be filled? Thanks!

Mike
19 REPLIES 19

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Worse choice is to use the exchange program. (Blue Rhino, etc.) Often you get 'short fills' and it's always more expensive than having existing tanks refilled.

Easiest would be to pay a truck to come in and do refills for you. Least expensive but more work would be to take 20's to a propane fill outfit yourself.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm on a tight budget and relying on workamping to make ends meet, what would be the best rout: buy two 20-lb tanks and rotate them, having each filled as I go...or to use one of the exchange programs I out there (Amerigas, Blue Rhino, etc.)? Or does it make a difference?

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to by a large tank to keep beside my rig and have a company come fill it, but I feel that would only work if I'm parked permanently. There's no way I could find room to haul a large tank if I relocate 1-2 times a year or more. I guess I will buy an extend-a-stay kit, since that will come in handy for gas grills and such when the weather warms up. Please give me any other ideas or tips any of you might have, they are all very appreciated!

Mike

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
Well you can always pay to have a truck come and fill it up - but since you have such a small tank that is probably not going to make good economic sense.

For the whole winter I think I would go with the extend-a-stay rigging.

I have a permanent 20 gallon tank and a removable 5 gallon tank with an autoswitcher. It gives nice flexibility.

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I meant to say in the first line that it is NOT removable.