cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best ways to fill non-removable LP tank?

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, I am a new full-time RVer and I just now went through my first LP tank on my furnace. It looks to be about a 35-40 lb. (7-8 gallon) tank and is removable. I have my rig parked for the winter, skirted and on boards and was wondering what the best approach is to filling my tank WITHOUT undoing everything and driving it to the service station.

An old-timer I know said there are attachments that would allow me to transfer propane from one tank to another, but after researching that, it seems that method is considered dangerous and possibly even illegal? The only solution I could find is to fork out $100 for an "extend-a-stay" kit and attach a second tank to run off of and completely bypass the permanently attached stock tank. Is that all I can do without actually driving the rig somewhere to be filled? Thanks!

Mike
19 REPLIES 19

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you don't want to move to fill, or have a LPG supplier visit frequently, what you have to do is feed from an external tank. This is best done with a T-fitting between your gas valve and regulator, which a LPG supplier can install or you can get DIY solutions like extend-a-stay.

To fill from an external tank, you would need an external tank that supplies liquid. I think modern DOT bottles are specifically designed not to do that, it is one of the functions of the OPD.

If you are going to be there long term, and can get a local supplier in, you can usually rent a larger external tank. This can then be filled as needed, less often than small bottles.

If you want to do it with portable bottles, the exchange bottles are the most expensive way to do it. Price for the convenience is often double the price of the gas provided. Having your own DOT bottles is almost always cheaper, unless you run into "minimum" charges or service charges. Handling larger DOT bottles (30, 40 and 100 pound bottles) can reduce the impact of service fees, but it is a matter of what can you handle, i.e. those three are 24, 29 and 68 pounds empty, respectively.

The rental alternative, most likely a residential tank, requires sizing the tank to the consumption. A LPG dealer doing rentals can help with this. I see tanks in the 200-400 pound range trailer parks, where the practice might be one or two fills a season.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
olywa1978 wrote:
The $100 extend-a-stay I was referring to was from Marshall Gas Controls on Amazon. I haven't looked around much, just saw this Amazon listing and assumed it was the going rate for these. Is the one in this link different than the type I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Gas-Controls-536-00-Extend-A-Stay/dp/B002UC4T6C
They are all basically the same, just different manufacturers, as you can see in the link I gave you, there is also an Extend-A-Flow, by Camco, which will serve the same purpose.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ronfisherman
robsouth wrote:
If you are in a park with others, ask them what they do. If you are off to yourself, call a propane dealer and they can fix you right up.

If you use "extend a stay propane kit" in a search. Many more options will show up.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
The $100 extend-a-stay I was referring to was from Marshall Gas Controls on Amazon. I haven't looked around much, just saw this Amazon listing and assumed it was the going rate for these. Is the one in this link different than the type I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Gas-Controls-536-00-Extend-A-Stay/dp/B002UC4T6C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVng ain't cheap..........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
olywa1978 wrote:
I think renting a big tank and having a propane company fill me up would be easiest, but I have a couple questions. Do they make you sign any contracts for specific time frames, (one or two years for example)or is it usually month to month (what I would prefer)? Also, don't propane companies pretty much double the going rates of propane, per gallon? My mom rents a tank from AmeriGas and they charge her over $4.00 per gallon when I've seen stores and service stations advertising as low as $2.10 per gallon. Are the big companies always that much more expensive?
The "big companies" supply all of the small outlets. You're not going to get any of them to deliver for free. It costs to pay the driver, the $100k tank truck, insurance, AND the gas itself. Somethings gotta give...

Don't like the price?, buy small tanks and rotate them yourself
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
I primarily use my 23,000 btu kerosene heater to heat the rig up and only use the propane furnace at night and I only set the stat to about 55 degrees. I haven't used the propane for anything else so far (except the small canisters for cook stove). Point being that I don't go through much propane.

olywa1978
Explorer
Explorer
I think renting a big tank and having a propane company fill me up would be easiest, but I have a couple questions. Do they make you sign any contracts for specific time frames, (one or two years for example)or is it usually month to month (what I would prefer)? Also, don't propane companies pretty much double the going rates of propane, per gallon? My mom rents a tank from AmeriGas and they charge her over $4.00 per gallon when I've seen stores and service stations advertising as low as $2.10 per gallon. Are the big companies always that much more expensive?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know who gave you that ridiculous price for the extend-a-stay, but if you want to go that way, try here for about half of that, http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/index.php?cPath=820_111
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

mda
Explorer
Explorer
Do a google search and you will find either an extend a stay or stay longer for less than $100. Amazon lists one for $69, made by Marshall Gas Controls.

robsouth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in a park with others, ask them what they do. If you are off to yourself, call a propane dealer and they can fix you right up.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call a propane dealer in the area you arn,t the only one that needs a temp tank.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Your 1986 Bounder has a 20 gal LP tank that has 16 usable gal when full.

You can download a PDF owners manual with spec at this link.

Your best bet now is too get a stay-a-while. You will need to buy a couple of 20# tanks(use 2nd while you get the 1st refilled when it runs out) or rent/lease a 100# tank from the nearest LP company.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Have you contacted local propane co? When I fid it a few years back I rented a 120 gal tank. They connected and filled as necessary. When I was finished they picked up the tank, weighed it and gave me credit for remaining propane.