Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black and grey tank not emptying completely

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Safari Simba Workhorse W22
Last few times I've tried to empty black and grey tank they do NOT empty completely. With black tank able to look down toilet and see fluid. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
11 REPLIES 11

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I would think the tanks would be designed to empty when the MH is level. In 7 years full-time, we have never seen anyone tilt their unit, no matter what brand it was.

In a ideal world, yes it should, but, not all dump stations are setup for this. You will find most are depressed where the dump receptacle is located, and tilted toward the drain, so you don't need to do anything. Do you think an inch out of level, sloping away from the dump would make much difference on a 102" wide MH?
Wildmanbaker

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
It might be how you are managing the tanks in general. I got these tips from a full timing book. Never let the tanks go dry. You always want at least an inch or two of water and chemical in them, that way when your going down the road the back and forth movement creates a washing machine action and helps the chemical along. Try to have the black tank as full as possible before you dump it. It gives greater gravity action to help expel the waste. Lastly, I use only Thetford Aquachem with the blue cap. I've never found anything better and I been disappointed with the different powders and such. I have never had a problem in 20 years, just keep that tank wet.The fluid level should always be above the waste. If it's been a week or two add another bottle can help. It could be that you have sludge build up near the front of the tank.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think the tanks would be designed to empty when the MH is level. In 7 years full-time, we have never seen anyone tilt their unit, no matter what brand it was.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
On the last dump of the trip I elevate the side without the valves by 2 inches using plastic levelers.

I hope you're not in front of me doing that at a dump station. The amount of time you take doing that would just back up the line even more.
Nice comment, unless you are volunteering to do his dumping, he is making a big mess, then you should help them with some advice.
Yes, you should elevate the side away from the dump valves, and if the valves are to the back of the MH, try having the front higher than the back. it is dis-hearting to have 1/4 tank after dumping.
Wildmanbaker

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
deleted, dual post.
Wildmanbaker

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You could have debris built up between where you're seeing the fluid and the valve (small wall). Fill it about 25% full between campgrounds, add some detergent or chemical and drive to the next campground. You may have to do this a couple of times. You can also buy a toilet wand, or make one from pvc with a hole at the end on one side and spray thoroughly for a few minutes, directing the spray toward the valve.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
As level as possible. There is 2-3" of fluid in bottom of black tank. After I drive for the day and hook up again, it all drains. It's done this the last two times.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
On the last dump of the trip I elevate the side without the valves by 2 inches using plastic levelers.

I hope you're not in front of me doing that at a dump station. The amount of time you take doing that would just back up the line even more.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestion from Dennis12 above.

Also are you level or slightly leaning toward the out-flow pipe when you dump?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Are you seeing fluid in depth or possibly just a little on the bottom. Take a dowel and put down the toilet and see how much is really in it. Are you fairly level when dumping?
Dennis Hoppert