Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black and Grey Tank Replacement

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
HI RV'ers

I am thinking of replacing the Black and grey tanks.
There are no leaks in the tanks but I cannot get rid of the smells that come into the RV.

I have had the tanks cleaned, vents replaced, different types of chemicals in the tanks all to eliminate the odors.

At this point after 20 years of use I'm thinking there is no way to actually clean up everything in the tanks.

So I thought I would ask the forum if anyone has replaced the tanks, was it worth it, how much did it cost ?

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
10 REPLIES 10

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, glad to hear all is well.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK I got it fixed.
Had my tech come to the RV and he followed the drain pipe towards the grey tank.
Right above the grey tank there was a junction of 3 drain pipes, kitchen sink, half bath sink, and bedroom sink.
Just below this junction the pipe was broken all around but still aligned with the lower half, so some drained into the grey tank some overflowed on to the top of the grey tank and into the water bay.
He replaced this pipe and put rubber connectors to each of the incoming drains to allow for flex.
We tested it and no more drain unto the ground.
Problem solved !!!!
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
All of our RV waste tanks smell. The answer is to correct the leaks.
Most likely you have bad air air admittance valve under the sink or lavatory.

Richard

I had stink in our coach.... it was due to the air admittance valve for the black tank rinse that was located under the sink in the bathroom vanity. I replaced it with a brass Watts valve instead of the $1.50 plastic item.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
might also look like a cheater vent under the sink.

vent

This is what I was going to suggest. The cheap black ones are junk and not even allowed by code in new construction.
The cheapo one on mine failed the first season and stank up the rv.
If you replace it, get yourself a replacement made by Studor or Oatey.

Don't replace your tanks, it won't help.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
might also look like a cheater vent under the sink.

vent
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
RL - Great video, never heard of this before, I think I will replace these first and see if the problem is resolved.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Power vents are shut off.
Washer drain had a plug in it.

Air Admittance valve, never heard of that one
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
All of our RV waste tanks smell. The answer is to correct the leaks.
Most likely you have bad air air admittance valve under the sink or lavatory.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes you are correct that there is no way to actually clean up everything in the tanks. And it looks like you've done your due diligence to eliminate odors. Here's what I would do in your situation.

First thing is to identify which tank is the offending one. Pour a gallon of Pinesol down the drain and run the faucet to wash it all down into the gray tank. Open up the coach and vent any odors out. Now close up the coach and wait. Do you start to smell Pinesol or do you get black tank odors?

Other thought. Are you making sure to not have any power vents running when you flush the toilet? If you have a power vent running it will suck the smell up out of the tank when you're flushing.

Is there a washer dryer hookup in the MH? If so that drain trap might be dried up and is allowing odors out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think your thought process is off.
Unless you strongly suspect you have 30 gal of rotten bacon grease in one and a petrified sht mountain in the other, both of which canโ€™t be removed, I feel itโ€™s still a venting issue.
I mean, tanks all stink after a few days or week of use, so what makes one think that a new tank getting the same use wonโ€™t just stink after a while.

I could be totally off base and who knows the use condition and care of YOUR tanks besides you. No one. Just seems odd to me.
Idk what it will cost but wonโ€™t be cheap when you roll a 40โ€™ pusher in for โ€œelectiveโ€ surgery.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold