cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blowout, bad and good luck

Explorer
Explorer
Took the MH on its first trip this year (600 miles round trip). The tires are Goodyear G670 245-70-19.5 that are now 8 years old. Pressure has always been 5-10 psi over needed (I have weighed it and I check pressures every morning). The MH also sets inside a shed when not in use (little UV exposure) The tires also looked fine inside and out (had a tire booted 2 years ago due to picking up a screw).

We were headed home on Sunday at 67 mph (on cruise) on I94. The LH front tire exploded, and the MH jumped a couple of feet into the passing lane. I got it straightened out and then tapped the brakes to kick off the cruise. Then moved back into my lane and let it slow down (lots of steering needed throughout this process). When it was slowed down enough moved onto the shoulder.

Called our insurance company (Progressive) and they had a couple of guys there in about 40 minutes, and we were on our way again in an hour (glad I had a spare tire even if it was 14 years old). I had considered changing it myself, but I wanted some more flashing lights. I didn't really want to work on the tire without that and without being able to both work and keep an eye on the traffic. We did end up being an hour late for a party!!!

Interesting thing was that the guys only had an impact wrench, some sockets, and some air jacks-------no torque wrench for properly setting the lug torque. I gave them mine (set at the right torque) to use. Their air jack was also too tall to fit under the front axle, so I had to block and use the levelers to get the tire off the ground.

The good luck (besides having a spare and the right tools) was that there was nobody beside us (or on a 2-lane highway). It was also tricky getting the MH straightened out without losing control-------------it would have been very easy to over-correct.

Yes, I know I was pushing the age thing with these tires, but had decided to wait to next year as no long trips were planned this year.

Your experience may be different.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.
35 REPLIES 35

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
It was also tricky getting the MH straightened out without losing control-------------it would have been very easy to over-correct.
There is a natural reaction to react quickly to any change of motion when you are driving. Many years ago, I had a Jeep that would change lanes every time you hit a bump. It tought me to just lock the steering wheel position until the vehicle settled down, which prevented that natural reaction to over correct. Same applies to an RV. Any time something bad happens, one's first reaction should be to freeze your steering wheel position until the rocking motion subsides. Then make a small correction to put the coach where it needs to be. It takes some mental effort to force one's self to think that way, but that is the only way to prevent over correction. Glad it all worked out. You have bragging rights.
IRV2

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you were OK. My MH came with those same Goodyear tires/size and I WAS NOT impressed with them and will not buy GY. I was very surprised once when a front tire blew out as handling was very easy and smooth. But I didn't have the cruise on.

Ours did not come with a spare but after being stranded on a Sunday morning and only one local guy having a replacement tire and asking $979.00 for it. We got a spare to carry. That Sunday I ended up taking our toad, driving 1.5 hours north to get a replacement tire for $160, then driving back south 1.5 hours to get back to the MH.

The things we go through to relax and have fun.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Getting lucky with a safety item is not what I want to do.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bruce_Brown
jerseyjim wrote:
Progressive Insurance has road service?

They sure do, as part of your insurance policy. You may need to ask for it to make sure it's included, but they have it.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Insurance has road service?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mark, glad it worked out and that you and your family were safe.

I think we ALL have seen the 'tire blow-out' video. Did you mash down on the accelerator to maintain control? Or, did the cruise control keep the coach straight enough for you to take control and slow down safely?

Did you have anytime to think?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins